Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer iOS 7 over the "classic" iOS look?
Yes, iOS 7 looks better 27 19.57%
No, I preferred the previous iOS look & feel 69 50.00%
I'm fine with both; it's natural/acceptable evolution 42 30.43%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #151
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Why does it matter? I was responding to the statement that the install base was small. It clearly is not.
It matters because "sold" does not mean "actively used". For businesses, a very large portion of new PCs get re-imaged the very same day they are bought with W7 or something else, yet that's still a "sold" license.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #152
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It matters because "sold" does not mean "actively used". For businesses, a very large portion of new PCs get re-imaged the very same day they are bought with W7 or something else, yet that's still a "sold" license.
Not only that, Microsoft fudges the numbers by claiming OEM stock as sales, counting the Win7 sales with bundled option for Win8 upgrade, etc.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft...figures-207497
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #153
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Here you go for a Galaxy Tab or use this search result: http://amzn.com/B00C6TP52Q.

To get Windows 7 you have to search for the PCs being sold with it, which will be just as easy as finding the Galaxy Tabs with ICS. Or buy a license and install on your Windows 8 computer, vs. getting ICS for FREE.

Sorry, I cannot and will not come to the defense of Apple.
Interesting, obviously I was not aware of that for Samsung.

I think it's fair to say the average consumer won't find those or Windows 7 PCs at their local retailers. Regardless, my point was that Microsoft is not forcing anything more on consumers than anybody else. We are still rolling out Windows 7 devices where I work with no plans to go to 8 anytime soon.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #154
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
OK, then see web usage here.

Anyway you want to look at it, it's a large install base and growing. The adoption rate, in terms of market percentage, is about the same as XP was.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #155
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Interesting, obviously I was not aware of that for Samsung.

I think it's fair to say the average consumer won't find those or Windows 7 PCs at their local retailers. Regardless, my point was that Microsoft is not forcing anything more on consumers than anybody else. We are still rolling out Windows 7 devices where I work with no plans to go to 8 anytime soon.
I don't think it is easy either. However, it IS easier for Android, simply because you can ALWAYS get whatever version you want, FREE, and install it. You can do the same for Windows, too, but only by getting one of the shrinking number of license keys sold after the end-of-life, which also requires paying yet more money. So while it's not necessarily "forced down your throat" Android DOES make it easier to revert.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #156
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't think it is easy either. However, it IS easier for Android, simply because you can ALWAYS get whatever version you want, FREE, and install it.
Not always. I can't put an older version of Android on my phone than the Gingerbread it originally came with because no developer that I'm aware of has supplied such an image. If I tried, it wouldn't be functional. Likewise, I can't go beyond ICS because nobody has done it and retained full functionality that I'm aware of.

There is also the fact that many ARM devices have locked bootloaders that make it quite difficult to change versions. There are ways around that, but it is beyond the average user's ability. The same is true of Windows ARM devices.

Last edited by pl001; 11-07-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #157
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Why does it matter? I was responding to the statement that the install base was small. It clearly is not.
When you talk about the market for windows 8 apps, you really can't count PC, because most of those people are going to buy and use classic windows apps rather than Windows Store apps.

So, compare iPad sales to Windows tablet sales... I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure iPad market is magnitues bigger. Also, the numbers prove that the average app store spend for iOS user is much higher than Android store. It's much to early to tell for Windows 8 tablet devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #158
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Nope, I'm still getting blue screens of death these days, in Windows 7. (More of them than on Win XP, which was the most stable for me.)

You got that right! Choosing one's favourite OS is like naming one's favourite politician... All of them suck in one way or another, so you need to go with the one(s) who are likely to inflict the least damage. That's life.
Sounds like you've got a crap machine or questionable drivers. Then again, your 1 person out of what, 500 million? Bad for you, sure. Evidence that windows 7 is buggy, um, not really.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #159
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
When you talk about the market for windows 8 apps, you really can't count PC, because most of those people are going to buy and use classic windows apps rather than Windows Store apps.

So, compare iPad sales to Windows tablet sales... I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure iPad market is magnitues bigger. Also, the numbers prove that the average app store spend for iOS user is much higher than Android store. It's much to early to tell for Windows 8 tablet devices.

BOb
Maybe, maybe not, that's speculation. The fact is PCs, tablets, and hybrids all have access to the same Windows market.

That the Windows market has grown faster than either Google's or Apple's did is also a fact.

Nobody is arguing that the Windows market is larger, more profitable, or better selling than Apple's. I'm just saying that the Windows market and install base are larger and better than people tend to assume.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #160
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Cool

LOL at the alleged fast growth in the realm of irrelevance in which Windows operates in mobile space. Sure, increasing a 1% market share five-fold is easier than doing the same with a 41% market share.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #161
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
The Surface RT, despite all the bad press, was still the best selling 10" tablet not named iPad. In several international markets Windows Phone is overtaking iPhone for the number 2 position. And there are a slew of new Windows tablets either out or coming shortly that are getting a lot of positive press and the big OEMs are on board. Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Acer...
A month ago I bought a firesale Surface RT w/TouchCover. (I could not resist $199 w/free shipping) As I compare it to my iPad 4, the only thing preventing me from completely switching over to the RT are the apps. The selection is still very, very weak. And what little that is out there is overly simplistic and buggy.

The RT is so close and yet so far.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #162
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
LOL at the alleged fast growth in the realm of irrelevance in which Windows operates in mobile space. Sure, increasing a 1% market share five-fold is easier than doing the same with a 41% market share.
There is nothing "alleged" about the growth of the Windows Store or about the sales of W8 devices. And I have made no claims or predictions about market share, other than WP is overtaking Apple in several countries, which is also a fact. I guess that means Apple is becoming irrelevant, and that should affect your next purchase?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #163
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
WP is overtaking Apple in several countries
Those can only be low-income countries; the credit for that must go to Apple for over-pricing their products, not to W8 overtaking them. In countries where low price is the deciding factor, Android is already dominating and will continue to dominate. In many such countries, a person's monthly income may be lower than the price of an iPhone or iPad, so it's not surprising to see Apple struggle there.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #164
pl001
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
A month ago I bought a firesale Surface RT w/TouchCover. (I could not resist $199 w/free shipping) As I compare it to my iPad 4, the only thing preventing me from completely switching over to the RT are the apps. The selection is still very, very weak. And what little that is out there is overly simplistic and buggy.

The RT is so close and yet so far.
Apps are not at the level of Google or Apple. But the big basics that most people need are there, and having a pc-level browser helps greatly with what isn't. My point is that I think they have done well given the timeframe and with the large install base there is no reason to think it won't continue to improve.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #165
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
having a pc-level browser helps greatly with what isn't.
Erm, what? I trust you're not referring to the notoriously lame Internet Explorer. Superb iOS browsers like Atomic Web Browser do not lag behind desktop browsers in any way I have noticed. But even the best browser is no substitute for missing apps. Plus, given Microsoft's reputation of producing buggy software, I don't see many people willing to expose themselves to all of that on a mobile device. If those devices were distributed for free... perhaps. But for hundreds of dollars per device... hopeless for MS, I'm afraid.