Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #31
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
In an other line...

Stupid spent 5 minutes running for a watch before read time, only to remember Stupid has a wonderful little clock on his reader!
And how many times have I hunted for my cell phone when the time was right there in the corner of my computer screen?

But even more wondrous:
One year I thought a long time about a gift for my (former) wife's birthday. Finally I settled on a kitchen hand mixer. It was a good one and I had it wrapped beautifully.

On that special day when she unwrapped it she had the most curiously inscrutable look on her face. I asked, "What's wrong? Don't you like it?"

She replied, "Two things are wrong." Her frank manner was a little frightening. "You don't give the woman you supposedly love a kitchen tool for her birthday!"

Oh, oh. I knew I was in trouble. I asked, "What is the other thing?"

She replied, "You gave me the same thing last year!"

Last edited by mogui; 08-23-2007 at 10:41 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
ouch.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #33
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
And how many times have I hunted for my cell phone when the time was right there in the corner of my computer screen?

But even more wondrous:
One year I thought a long time about a gift for my (former) wife's birthday. Finally I settled on a kitchen hand mixer. It was a good one and I had it wrapped beautifully.

On that special day when she unwrapped it she had the most curiously inscrutable look on her face. I asked, "What's wrong? Don't you like it?"

She replied, "Two things are wrong." Her frank manner was a little frightening. "You don't give the woman you supposedly love a kitchen tool for her birthday!"

Oh, oh. I knew I was in trouble. I asked, "What is the other thing?"

She replied, "You gave me the same thing last year!"
Unforgivable... cause for separation.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In Texas, it might pass for a reason "he needed shootin'" -- if you get the right jury, of course.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #35
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
In Texas, it might pass for a reason "he needed shootin'" -- if you get the right jury, of course.
Hey you're the judge of that!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #36
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Some things are hard to admit.

Another time I was shopping at a local supermarket in the US. I had gone around the store several times and my shopping cart was full almost to overflowing. Later as I was putting the groceries into the back of my minivan I thought, "Hmm! If I had paid for these, they'd be in bags, wouldn't they?" I put everything back into the cart and wheeled it back into the store. I passed the manager on the way in. He was shaking his head. So was I.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:53 AM   #37
mogui
eNigma

Stupid was pleased to get another email from Sony Support this morning. It again invited him or her to respond within 48 hours lest Sony deem the support issue to be closed. Again the email contained the convenient delimiters within which Stupid could frame his or her response. Stupid eagerly checked his or her account at the Connect store and determined that nothing had changed. With a sense of urgency Stupid composed the following response to Sony Support:

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]
I checked my Connect store account this morning and the $12.78 which you graciously restored to my account is still not accessible to me. My Launch Promotion Balance is still at $0.47. Had the money been added to the Launch Promotion Balance, I could use the money ($13.25). But the money has gone into an electronic abyss that is inaccessible to me. I have a book sitting forlornly in my Cart with no way to proceed to checkout.

I completely understand why Sony Corporation might be feeling a little passive-aggressive toward me. I have not been the best customer over the years. I never bought a Walkman, preferring to use cheaper alternatives. I did buy a nice pair of Sony headphones in 1988 which are the best I have ever owned except for the Sennheisers which my ex-wife got.

I now regret not supporting you more on the Betamax thing. I bought VHS instead -- VCRs and video cameras. And recently I bought a Canon camera instead of a Sony because I really didn't want to use the Memory Stick because I already have so many SD cards. And I have never owned a Trinitron or a DAT tape machine or a MiniDisc player. So sorry Sony.

But I did buy a Sony Reader. I really like it and I can use my SD cards with it too. I think that if we can restore relations, I will even consider buying a Blu-ray device in the future. I am a big Ray Charles fan. What does Toshiba know anyway?

We must act quickly. My Launch Promotion Balance is set to expire in only six days. So please accept this apology from me and just think of me as an old friend which you have come to better understand. Here's hoping our reconciliation goes well!
[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

Stupid hopes his or her email will warm the hearts of all the busy folk at Sony support and they will fix Stupid's broken Connect Store account. Stupid is eager to read the Lawrence Block novel, Hit Parade, which is sitting there in Stupid's Cart. Stay tuned. Will Sony fix Stupid's account in time?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #38
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
One never knows, humor might catch the attention of a busy drone....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #39
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
That Shouldn't Deter A company Like Sony

Quote:
Ah, but there is no credit card on file.
Crediting it to a non-exsistent credit card shouldn't deter A company Like Sony.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #40
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Hahaha! You are just killing me Mogui.. just killing me..

Quote:
Stupid was pleased to get another email from Sony Support this morning. It again invited him or her to respond within 48 hours lest Sony deem the support issue to be closed. Again the email contained the convenient delimiters within which Stupid could frame his or her response. Stupid eagerly checked his or her account at the Connect store and determined that nothing had changed. With a sense of urgency Stupid composed the following response to Sony Support:

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]
I checked my Connect store account this morning and the $12.78 which you graciously restored to my account is still not accessible to me. My Launch Promotion Balance is still at $0.47. Had the money been added to the Launch Promotion Balance, I could use the money ($13.25). But the money has gone into an electronic abyss that is inaccessible to me. I have a book sitting forlornly in my Cart with no way to proceed to checkout.

I completely understand why Sony Corporation might be feeling a little passive-aggressive toward me. I have not been the best customer over the years. I never bought a Walkman, preferring to use cheaper alternatives. I did buy a nice pair of Sony headphones in 1988 which are the best I have ever owned except for the Sennheisers which my ex-wife got.

I now regret not supporting you more on the Betamax thing. I bought VHS instead -- VCRs and video cameras. And recently I bought a Canon camera instead of a Sony because I really didn't want to use the Memory Stick because I already have so many SD cards. And I have never owned a Trinitron or a DAT tape machine or a MiniDisc player. So sorry Sony.

But I did buy a Sony Reader. I really like it and I can use my SD cards with it too. I think that if we can restore relations, I will even consider buying a Blu-ray device in the future. I am a big Ray Charles fan. What does Toshiba know anyway?

We must act quickly. My Launch Promotion Balance is set to expire in only six days. So please accept this apology from me and just think of me as an old friend which you have come to better understand. Here's hoping our reconciliation goes well!
[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

Stupid hopes his or her email will warm the hearts of all the busy folk at Sony support and they will fix Stupid's broken Connect Store account. Stupid is eager to read the Lawrence Block novel, Hit Parade, which is sitting there in Stupid's Cart. Stay tuned. Will Sony fix Stupid's account in time?
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:02 AM   #41
NatCh
Gizmologist

"... the Betamax thing ...."!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:30 PM   #42
mogui
eNigma

Stupid looked at the calendar. It was the 31st of August, but in the US, he or she knew, it was only the 30th. Stupid looked at his or her account at the Sony Store, knowing that this day, his or her Launch Promotion Balance of US$0.47 would disappear.

Sony had sent Stupid another headless-chicken email message asserting that his or her support ticket would close, no doubt with the finality of a guillotine, should Stupid not respond within 48 hours. That had been one or two days ago. It no longer seemed to matter.

The US$0.47 was still there. The money refunded, the US$12.78, had not been added to the Launch Promotion Balance.

Stupid felt his or her plea for reconciliation had been rejected even though he or she had been very polite and apologetic. Stupid had even refrained from mentioning the battery fiasco, knowing Sony might be sensitive about that and Stupid didn't want anyone to hurt themselves.

Depressed and disillusioned, Stupid opened a bottle of French red table wine, lit some candles and turned on an old Edith Piaf CD. He or she thought the wine and the music suited the mood. Then Stupid turned on his trusty Sony Reader. He or she was reading a Joe Haldeman novel about the impending death of the universe. It seemed appropriate too. Stupid read until his or her lips were tired and then went to bed.

Last edited by mogui; 08-31-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #43
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Stupid looked at the calendar. It was the 31st of August, but in the US, he or she knew, it was only the 30th. Stupid looked at his or her account at the Sony Store, knowing that this day, his or her Launch Promotion Balance of US$0.47 would disappear.
I'm mad at them and I don't even have one.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #44
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Hahaha nice those stupid story.
Well, I wonder what will happen now.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #45
mogui
eNigma

Stupid awoke on the morning of September 1st. He or she checked the time in the US on the computer. The business day of August 31st had closed. Stupid checked his or her Connect Store account to see if the chimeric US$12.78 had reappeared in a useful form. Nothing had changed.

Then Stupid opened his or her email. Stupid was excited to see that there was something there from Sony Support. Stupid read the first paragraph. It said:
"We have not heard from you concerning your request for support in the 48 hours since we sent you a response. Consequently, we have changed the status of your question to SOLVED."

Yee haw! Stupid was so happy. He or she wondered why Sony Support hadn't done this in the beginning, almost a month ago. Stupid was reminded of the Indiana legislature who, introduced House Bill #246 in the House of Representatives that attempted to legislate the value of pi to be a rational number. Alternatives such as 3.2 and 4 were proposed. The bill failed to pass, but they didn't have Sony's omnipotence either.

Stupid reflected that it seemed as if those with the most power to effect cultural change were the definers of reality. Stupid wondered whether, should Sony declare that Stupid had a new Walkman in his pocket, Stupid would be expected to pay for it. He or she had never before heard of solipsism as a business model, but he or she realized that a company that would put rootkits on music CDs had a new vision of reality.

Stupid understood why Sony Support hadn't been able to solve the fantasy money problem is 24 days. Sony Support was probably busy apologizing to everyone for the rootkits and the flaming batteries, so they used their headless chicken expert system support software to deal with minor issues such as missing money. Stupid wondered if Sony shouldn't open a subsidiary just to handle complaints. They could call it the Sorry Corporation.