Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I have both the Kindle DX and iPad.

For me the iPad is the CLEAR winner for magazines, comics, newspapers. Some of the media created especially for the iPad is incredible. If you are a newspaper/media junky, the iPad is worth getting.

However for books, the Kindle is still a great device and the iPad 'enhancements' are mostly unnecessary shiny UI things (color covers and bookshelf graphics, page turns). I'd have to say the iPad dictionary is well integrated though. The IPS screen on the iPad looks great, but the Kindle screen also looks great for plain text. If you read JUST books, then the Kindle is still a solid device and has the advantage of a longer battery life. However at the current Kindle DX pricepoint I think you'd be mad not to get an iPad because of the other things it can do besides e-books.

DX needs to be priced around $350 at the most to compete with iPad, or updated asap to include color and few other features. I use my Kindle still, but it sits next to my bed, the iPad is the device I carry with me.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I do own an iPhone and love it. I'm also tend to be drawn to geek toys. But, I'm going to pass the iPad up for the time being.

I don't see it doing much more than my laptop, K2 and iPhone combined and I have no intention of getting rid of any of them.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #18
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Have a Sony-505 and a Kindle-2 and enjoy them both - got each of them when they first hit the market. Wouldn't give them up for anything - at least for now!

In terms of computers, I have gone from desktops to laptops and most recently to a netbook when my last laptop had problems and had aged into near oblivion. With the growth of what is available on the Internet, the need for a big laptop with lots of memory and hard drive storage has pretty much gone by the way - at least for me. Obviously not the case for an office worker perhaps.

The next step is a no-brainer - the IPad-2, not the current one but the second version in a year or so - surely with printing made easie, USB ports and webcam and the improved operating system coming out. At that point I could easily see an IPad-2 replacing everything.

I tried the current WiFi IPad at Best Buy and I was impressed. The size and backlighting seem fine for casual reading of an hour or so at a stretch once or twice a day. And to have the 3G version to have virtually everything in an all in one device makes sense - touchscreen reading Internet email lots of apps and eventually cloud computing so you don't need word processors and spreadsheets installed on your device but simply use it off the Web. With Skype and an eventual webcam you have basic free video phone. The world at your fingertips all for $829 - and maybe the additonal $69 fopr the stand-charger wireless keyboard. And a monthly access fee of only $30 with no contract required - and free WiFi if available.

I could get used to that easily - one device to own carry around maintain and upgrade - ONE!!! And maybe a basic cellphone - a cheapie that runs 20 bucks every three months with minutes that roll over - other than my current $40 a month phone where the minutes go bye bye at the end of the month.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Wink Two Page Landscape Mode...

The iPad has a killer feature: in landscape mode it shows the book as two side-by-side pages.

I suggested this idea on this forum a year or so ago for the DX and was met with silence.

Apple gets these small details right. The backlight can be dimmed all the way to virtually off and the app store has the Kindle App so your Kindle library is available.

The iPad is the clear winner and Amazon still gets revenue. My Kindle was sold about two months ago.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The Kindle app doesn't do the 2 page side by side thing though does it? Last time I played around with my girlfriend's it was only iBooks that did that of the two apps.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #21
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Torn

I'm torn about the Ipad. I have the Kindle2 and an iphone. I have central serous retinapathy which causes some problems with reading. Nothing major but I've had to krank up the font size a notch lately. The condtion is reversible so hopefully my eyesight will return to normal. This is where the ipad comes into play. The backlit screen would be easier to read (light helps with the reading problems with CSR) and the larger screen would allow me to have an even larger font size. I hate having the kindle font kranked up too much and have a page be a paragraph. I like buying my books from amazaon so the kindle app is nice.

The one thing holding me back is the lack of a dictionary to use with the kindle app while I'm reading a kindle book on the ipad. Same problem when I use my iphone. If it had this feature, I'd buy one today. My wife wants to have my kindle, so she's actually pushing me to the ipad. I'd holding back becasue of the lack of dictionary support with the kindle app.

Perhaps the Kindle Dx will come down in price (it should given I can have an ipad at 499, the Dx should be 300 something.) The Dx would solve my font size problem and retain the dictionary.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I understand your pain. Here's a pretty good comparison of the ipad vs KDX:
http://www.troyangrignon.com/2010/01...kindle-for-pc/
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:00 AM   #23
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
Isn't competition wonderful?
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Ordered Ipad

I went to my local apple store and reserved an ipad. With my eye problem, I really like reading on the device. I'm currently straining or standing under a search light with the Kindle. My wife also pushed me over the edge and ordered a book on my kindle and started reading it, so I was reduced to the iphone reading. This morning I found the iphone reading a pleasant experience, more so than my kindle, so I took the plunge (drank the koolaid) and ordered a 16gb. ipad. I'll be limiting myself to amazon books however and using the Kindle app. I do not like a bookstore (ibooks) that can only be browsed from inside the device and my wife and I can share books between the devices.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
The iPad has a killer feature: in landscape mode it shows the book as two side-by-side pages.

I suggested this idea on this forum a year or so ago for the DX and was met with silence.

Apple gets these small details right. The backlight can be dimmed all the way to virtually off and the app store has the Kindle App so your Kindle library is available.

The iPad is the clear winner and Amazon still gets revenue. My Kindle was sold about two months ago.
The Sony Reader PRS-900 did that two page landscape thing before the iPad was announced. It's nothing new since Sony did it first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote