Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #151
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Tint desaturates the "redness" of the warmth. It has no effect unless some warmth is dialled in.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #152
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I can't wait til you get some kind of sync and an iphone app happening, this is really exciting for those of us who have been dedicated Stanza users. Thanks for your hard work, Kris, and your attention to users and detail. WOW. Maybe the other reader devs can learn something from you.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #153
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I'm excited about the program as well. Just need to get my Mini and also have the iPhone app and then I can really hope that Kris is successful with an easy to use Sync feature.

As I haven't had a chance to use the program yet, another feature I had mentioned wondering if it was in the program yet or could be added to the "Want List": The ability to have an icon accessible from within the book that would allow you to see the cover picture as well as read the info about the book. It's the Metadata, I believe, or at least it's where I add the info when I edit the data on the ebook when using Calibre.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #154
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shykat, the book info, description, cover, and calibre metadata is definitely coming in the update after the holidays. In fact, it is already ready. I just didn't make it on time for this week's update. There are also new library sorting options and meta data editing.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #155
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
This just sounds better and better!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #156
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Fantastic!!!

Please keep the Sort By Order Added. That's an important feature for me.

Thank you so much for all your hard work. Even though I haven't been able to try this program yet, it sounds better and better.

Shykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Shykat, the book info, description, cover, and calibre metadata is definitely coming in the update after the holidays. In fact, it is already ready. I just didn't make it on time for this week's update. There are also new library sorting options and meta data editing.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #157
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Hi Kris,

feature suggestion: could you, please, also introduce three-finger-swipe to the app? I'm currently using the two-finger-swipe to turn 5 pages, but I also like the idea of "smart-snapping" (browse by chapters/bookmarks).

Thank you for considering this. It works great for video apps like AVPlayerHD or VLC Streamer: two-finger-swipe = jump by 10 seconds, three-finger-swipe = jump by 30 seconds, etc. Marvin gestures might accomplish similar things, just for books, not movies.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #158
kguil
Addict

Faterson, you read my mind. Check this out: http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #159
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Oh wow!!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #160
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

That's absolutely magnificent, Kris. I must pinch myself if I'm not dreaming. I suppose I should draft a thank-you letter to Amazon for killing Stanza, because in view of Marvin's features (on a par with and excelling those in Stanza), it has now turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I have a bug report. I know the description says the Extend and +Word buttons are experimental features, but still. The +Word button has always worked correctly for me so far. The Extend button, however, only works correctly when I press it once. The selection then gets extended to the end of the current sentence, which is correct. I would expect that a second press of the Extend button would then extend the selection to the following (second) sentence. Third press, third sentence (and so on). It would be logical, and I would find it very useful. Instead, what the second press does now, it actually decreases the selection by one word -- which can scarcely have been the desired effect. Thank you for fixing the button's behaviour, if possible.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #161
kguil
Addict

Thanks Faterson.

My method to extend to the current sentence has always been very temperamental. In fact, in some cases, it also fails to extend to the first sentence the first time. I've spent countless hours trying to figure out the problem but had no luck (that's why I marked it as experimental). I'll try and look into it some more.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #162
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I have now permanently switched from Bluefire to Marvin.

One thing I am not keen on though is all the icons being displayed all the time on the top and bottom of the page. I think have explored the options but haven't found a way to turn them off, is it possible?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #163
kguil
Addict

You can hide them by tapping in the middle of the page.

In fact, in the version coming this week, there is an option to hide the headers too if you want.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #164
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

One-minute response time from the developer, ROFL.

Yes, you can definitely hide the icons in Marvin, as you can see from the 4 Marvin screenshots I posted here.

As to the header and footer, I like to keep them displayed while reading -- they're very elegant and unobtrusive in Marvin: in a small, faded font. When Marvin for iPhone arrives, however, I might well choose to hide the header and footer, too. I think Kris should make it possible, for Marvin on iPhone, to utilize the entire screen real estate to display the book text. This is crucial on a small smartphone screen. That is, if a Marvin on iPhone user chooses to hide the header and footer, they shouldn't simply be hidden, but the text of the book should fill the now-empty space where the header and footer would otherwise have been.

This is one of the things I hate about iBooks: the default, non-customizable page margins are intolerably wide, and when you select the so-called "Full-Screen Mode" in iBooks, it's not really a full-screen mode at all! All it does is to hide the header and footer, while keeping the page margins as intolerably wide as they were before. Marvin for iPhone should avoid this pitfall. Full-screen is full-screen, period. It's not just "hide header and footer".

Stanza is very smart in full-screen mode in that it still manages to indicate the overall progress in the book with an extremely thin progress strip along the bottom edge of the smartphone screen. See the Stanza screenshot below. This is the best arrangement anyone could hope for. Of course, tapping in the center of the screen brings up the full menu and icons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stanza_in_Full-Screen.png
Views:	287
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	97621  

Last edited by Faterson; 12-13-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:11 AM   #165
kguil
Addict

Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	progress.png
Views:	337
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	97623  
Closed Thread