Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #136
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I'm confused by the dictionaries.

Obviously the English dictionary was installed, as I was getting definitions for words.

I went to the Manage Dictionaries page, which lists 7 dictionaries and 8 translation dictionaries, all with a Plus sign. I selected the English dictionary, got a check mark there. Hit Save. Got the usual WiFi disabled, hit cancel.

Dumped to the Language page of the setting, saying that 1 dictionary in my queue. It also says that 12 dictionaries are installed.

To get rid to the dictionary out of my queue, I went to Manage Dictionaries and unselected the English dictionary (and hit save). And now I don't have an English dictionary.

Reselecting the English dictionary doesn't bring it back.

Resyncing with Kobo Desktop installed all the dictionaries, except for Italian and Spanish (which were probably not on the original list).

Last edited by murg; 10-06-2012 at 01:00 AM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #137
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More fun with the English dictionary.

Select a word, say 'of'. The Kobo selects ' of', the definition comes up with: ' of' not found, closest match is 'of'.
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #138
murg
No Comment

The selection cursor bug from 2.0.0c has not been fixed.

When selecting text, moving the left (upper) thumb of the selection cursor will sometimes cause the right thumb to move. And moving the right thumb of the selection cursor will sometimes cause the left thumb to move.

However, because the thumbs now move from the up to the down position (and from the down to the up position), the selection cursor can be used on the first and last lines of a page.

Last edited by murg; 10-06-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #139
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Tried it again through Desktop, which downloaded 2.0.4 again.

This time, I got the 2.0 release notes on the Touch (from 7/5/12).

And... 2.0.4 (r41166, 9/26/12) has installed!

It would be nice if Kobo told us somewhere that we had to upgrade our firmware twice.
Yes, their communication on this isn't very good. The 2.0.4 firmware is an intermediate step to solve an issue in the factory firmware for our devices. They will then roll out a 2.1.4 to us. As far as I can find out, they will start that on Tuesday.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #140
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Does the new firmware bring portuguese language and dictionary?
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #141
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They are not available yet on my 2.1.4 devices(activated in Canada). I can have Portuguese as the interface language for the device, so my best guess is that the dictionary and translation dictionaries are coming.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #142
ppulle
ppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo
Reporting my Kobo Touch was purchased christmas 2011 at officeworks in Sydney.
I had the dancing squares update issue till I manually updated to v2.0. Later versions would not install, manual or online.
Just did manual instal of 2.1.4 r43720 and all is now good.
Install from v2.0 did not work, had to do factory reset first.
New firmware is fast and I'm now happy.
With it playing nice with Kobo Desktop I'm looking at purchasing books, hint to Kobo, previews need to be longer than the acknowlegments/copyright page.
ppulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #143
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, their communication on this isn't very good. The 2.0.4 firmware is an intermediate step to solve an issue in the factory firmware for our devices. They will then roll out a 2.1.4 to us. As far as I can find out, they will start that on Tuesday.
I already had 2.1.4 rolled out to me. So it has already started.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #144
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Hi!!

I've been happily - for the most part - reading my KT with .17 firmware for the past few months, so I haven't been on MR.

Last night I decided I couldn't live without shelves - SHELVES!!!! - and decided to check here before I synched my KT to whatever is the latest firmware. After reading all 10 pages of comments, I'm not sure what I should do.

Please, may I clarify a few things, get some opinions?

1) Danger, you went from .17 to 2.1.4 and now your KT doesn't respond? Has anyone else gone from .17 directly to the new firmware without a problem?

2) Should I do a factory reset of the firmware (which would bring me back to .10), then upgrade to 2.1.4, *then* install my sideloaded books? I remember reading in one of the posts that there could be a library issue with sideloaded epubs, and **ALL my 500 books are sideloaded epubs.**

3) If I were to find there is a problem with my going to 2.1.4, how do I roll back to .17? I have the firmware .zip packet on my HD.

4) Are sideloaded fonts now not useable? I generally use sideloaded fonts, so this would be a problem.

5) I read that the Delima font is gone, are any of the other previously "hardwired" fonts that have been removed? I don't have Delima on my laptop, nor do I want to pay for it when it was there before. It's a nice font, removing it makes no sense.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I want to make an informed decision before I upgrade or stay with .17 (my spouse is running .12 and very happy). Every time I think "I should upgrade", they've released a new version with new issues. That's why I've been stuck at .17, wonky top margins and all.

Thanks for your time!!!

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 10-06-2012 at 10:09 AM.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #145
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Just installed 2.1.4 manually. Dramatic improvement in speed! Love it.

Had hoped for the chess game under extras but not there. Pity.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #146
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post

1) Danger, you went from .17 to 2.1.4 and now your KT doesn't respond? Has anyone else gone from .17 directly to the new firmware without a problem?
Slight correction, it would not respond after it come out of sleep mode. I'd wake it up, it would wake up, I'd finish reading the page, tap to turn the page... nothing, tap again... nothing, tap again... nothing... after about the 6th tap it would reboot and be all happy again until the next time it went to sleep. It's been suggested this may be because I use an SD card to store my books on. I did not try this: read/sleep/wake/read procedure without the SD card in. I did try a complete reset and upgrade via the desktop app but still had the same problem. I went back to 1.9.17 as other than dead taps every so often I've had no other problems with it, it's been my favorite firmware.

Quote:
2) Should I do a factory reset of the firmware (which would bring me back to .10), then upgrade to 2.1.4, *then* install my sideloaded books? I remember reading in one of the posts that there could be a library issue with sideloaded epubs, and **ALL my 500 books are sideloaded epubs.**
If you are on 1.9.17, then upgrading to 2.1.4 should not be a problem. I haven't seem anyone post about upgrading from previous firmwares, not that it's not possible I missed one

Quote:
3) If I were to find there is a problem with my going to 2.1.4, how do I roll back to .17? I have the firmware .zip packet on my HD.
Ahhhh yes rolling back. Well I did once just place the 1.9.17 firmware on my Kobo and went back from 2.1.1 and it did rollback ... but ... I could no longer see large bookcovers on the carousel or in sleep/off mode. I could see them in the library view and shortlist. When I went from 2.1.4 back to 1.9.17 I did a factory reset, once of the reasons I store all my books on my SD card so that if I have to do a reset I don't have to copy all my books back over.

Quote:
4) Are sideloaded fonts now not useable? I generally use sideloaded fonts, so this would be a problem.
No problem with sideloaded fonts not working. I do however still find they look much better in 1.9.17 than in 2.1.4, I don't know what Kobo did but they just don't look as good anymore. I use SabonLTStd an OTF font rather and a TTF (if that makes any difference) and non of the other fonts that come with the Kobo look as good.

Quote:
5) I read that the Delima font is gone, are any of the other previously "hardwired" fonts that have been removed? I don't have Delima on my laptop, nor do I want to pay for it when it was there before. It's a nice font, removing it makes no sense.
Yes it is gone but that's about all I can say, see #4

Quote:
I'm sorry for all the questions, I want to make an informed decision before I upgrade or stay with .17 (my spouse is running .12 and very happy). Every time I think "I should upgrade", they've released a new version with new issues. That's why I've been stuck at .17, wonky top margins and all.
That's funny you mention wonky top margins, the books I can currently reading must have the top margin set because I had forgotten all about that with 1.9.17. I do remember other books without the top margin, I just learned to live with it or fix them by adding @page { margin-top: 1em;} in the css of the book.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #147
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I'm finding it difficult to get a consensus from all the comments too. I'm still on 1.9.17, and for the most part it has been fine. I have a few database problems that crept in somewhere along the way, so I should probably do a factory reset and start over anyway, but it sounds like there are as many down-sides to 2.1.4 as there are improvements. If I try 2.1.4, is there any issue going back to 1.9.17 if I don't like it? (I have the 1.9.17 firmware saved.)
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #148
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I'm finding it difficult to get a consensus from all the comments too.
Yeah, and equally annoying is that there are two threads on Vers 2.1.4 running simultaneously. Sheesh.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #149
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Does anyone know if Kobo has posted a list anywhere as to when they are releasing this update in the various areas, or do we just keep trying ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #150
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Danger, THANK YOU!!! for replying to my post, I appreciate the time it took to write! I misread your previous postings on your sleep/read problem. However, *that* problem also is a concern. Have you had any success in fixing that issue? I've realised over time that for every 1 person who posts about an issue no one else has posted about, there are 10 people having it and not saying anything.

I guess, for me, it's about do I want to give up the "known-ness" on .17 merely for the fun of shelves. I know at some point I'll have to do a factory reset due to some stupidity on my part, so eventually I'll get up there anyway, it's more how soon to do I want to be there?

I played with the Kobo mini and the Glo at the local bookstore (I prefer my booklight, that Glo light looks like it would drain the life out of the device battery), both of which had more current firmware, which despite my previous objections to the adverts I kinda like.

Thank you again for the reply, I very much appreciate the time! And, for those Kobo developers reading this, please bring back Delima, it's a beautiful font (which I didn't notice until I just actively looked at it. - but now I'm going to use the HECK out of it!)
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote