Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
wallflower
wallflower began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
HELP! Kindle won't register and Amazon won't help...

I purchased a Kindle 3.0 at Target yesterday and have been trying to register it on the kindle itself. Repeatedly, it comes up with this error message:

"There was an error while registering your device. Please try again later."

I've tried everything, from registering the serial number on the Amazon site to ensuring the 3G was on; I've contacted Amazon three times about this and all I've received was the generic how-to for registering. I have to admit I'm pretty frustrated; anyone know what's the deal with this?
wallflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, wallflower.

1) Do you have an amazon account? If not, you must have one to register your K3.

2) If yes, sign in, and go to My Kindle Content. Directions are there, takes about two minutes to do so.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From you Kindle Users Guide.......

Registering Your Kindle

Register your Kindle to link your Kindle to your Amazon.com account and access features such as purchasing and downloading content. You can register or deregister your Kindle on the Manage Your Kindle page. If you no longer have access to your Kindle or transferred it to another user, deregister your Kindle from your account.

To register or deregister your Kindle:

Note: If you have a Wi-Fi only device, you will need to set up your Wi-Fi connection in order to register.

1. If you are not already on the Home screen, press the Home button.
2. Press the Menu button and select Turn Wireless On.
3. Move the 5-way controller down until "Settings" is underlined and press to select.
4. Press the 5-way controller to select "register" or "deregister" from the Settings screen.
5. If you're registering Kindle, enter your Amazon.com user name and password (the e-mail address and password associated with your Amazon account) using the keyboard.
6. Navigate the 5-way controller to select "OK" to finish the process or "Cancel" to abort.

Tip: If your Amazon user name or password contains characters or numbers not present on the Kindle keyboard, press the Symbol key to see a menu of additional characters.
Registering if You Don't Have an Amazon.com Account

If you don't already have an Amazon.com account, you can create one at www.amazon.com. Here's how:

1. On the sign-in screen, enter the e-mail address you want to use for your Amazon.com account. This e-mail address will be the one we use to send you updates about your orders.
2. Don't enter a password. Check the button next to "No, I am a new customer" and then click the Sign in using our secure server button to continue.
3. Enter your name and verify your e-mail address on the Registration screen.
4. Enter a password for your new account and click the Continue button. We'll ask you to enter the same password twice to make sure it is correct. (You might also want to write your login informaiton so you'll have it later.)
5. Visit the Manage Your Kindle page. Enter the serial number for your Kindle and click the Register a new Kindle button. You'll find Kindle's serial number on the outside of the box or on the Settings menu on your Kindle.

If you're unable to locate Kindle's serial number, don't worry. You've successfully created an Amazon.com account and can now register your Kindle wirelessly following the Registering Your Kindle instructions above.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

One more thing.........did you use this page to contact CS? You want Kindle CS, not Amazon CS.

look on the right,, click on 'contact us'.

You must sign into your account, then choose the 'call me' feature.

enter your phone number and they will call back immediately.

Let us know how this works out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
kindledudepdx
kindledudepdx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
My Solution

I had the exact same error message when trying to deregister my new (gifted) Kindle, namely: "There was an error while registering your device. Please try again later."

I called Amazon customer service as suggested. The link is available through the "Contact Us" button on Amazon.com's Kindle web page. I entered my phone number, clicked a button, and received a call instantly with a recorded message indicating the estimated wait time to speak with a representative.

In short, performing a soft reset (holding the power switch to the right for 15 seconds) caused it to reboot with no registered user.
kindledudepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:30 AM   #6
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
I think it is either Amazon's servers temporarily failire (not big probability) or temporary device problem which cures with soft reset or Reset to factory defaults (make sure you have a backup of your books first).
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote