Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
jamski
jamski began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Question Odd Hyphenations

Any idea when using Cailbre to convert my .epub file I exported from Pages into a mobi, all my captions are hyphenated oddly?

This only happens in my captions. It seems to want to break words that don't need broken. See the screenshot.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/280996/wordbreaks.jpg

It breaks "to" and "from"? Really? This doesn't happen in the epub when I view it in iBooks on my iPad. Only when I go to convert it to a mobi for a Kindle does this happen, so I must assume Calibre somewhere is deciding to break these words improperly.
jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My guess is those hyphens are being rendered on the fly by the reader. Calibre's not the culprit here. You didn't mention what you were viewing the newly made mobi with, but I assume it's either the Kindle Previewer (emulating Kindle for iPhone) or the actual Kindle for iPhone App—which hyphenates.

Would need to see the source of the epub in question to verify, but I don't think it's calibre's fault since the mobi format Amazon (and calibre) uses doesn't have any inherent hyphenization ability. That's more than likely a feature of the rendering app.

Change the font-size you're viewing the mobi with and see if the hyphen isn't relocated.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
jamski
jamski began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Thanks. I don't have a Kindle, so I'm looking at the sample download on the Kindle iPhone app. Words also break oddly on the Kindle Previewer when looking at the MOBI file on my computer.
jamski is offline   Reply With Quote