Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
anappo
Enthusiast
anappo doesn't litteranappo doesn't litteranappo doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Cybook and cyrillic?

Hello all!

I wonder if anyone has any info on whether that "multi-format ebook reader" in Cybook will support cyrillic fonts?
anappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
dimon37
dimon37 began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T3
This is an email that I received on July 11th:

Dear Sir,

By default, the device bundles a set of scalable fonts, both serif & sans-serif, supporting Latin, Greek & Cyrillic languages.
Font family can be user defined. You can select a serif or sans-serif font, but also a proportional or fixed font.
You will be able to add TrueType fonts matching your visual preferences better.

You will be able to directly order the new Cybook from Bookeen’s web site by the end of this quarter.
We will soon make new announcements; please stay tuned…

With our best regards,
Bookeen Team

Bookeen – www.bookeen.com
Ubibooks – www.ubibooks.com

Last edited by dimon37; 07-20-2007 at 01:58 PM.
dimon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Cyrillic fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anappo View Post
Hello all!

I wonder if anyone has any info on whether that "multi-format ebook reader" in Cybook will support cyrillic fonts?
It supports the installation, by the user, of TrueType fonts. So if you've got an ebook with Cyrillic fonts, I would imagine it will support that. However, I haven't tested this. Could you drop me a copy of a Cyrillic font ebook to my email address: flarflenarf-(AT)-comcast-(DOT)-net? (Just replace the '-(xxx)-' with the appropriate '@' and '.' symbols.) As soon as I get the evaluation units from Bookeen, which will be happening in the next 2-3 weeks, I will test out this for you.

Derek Benner
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
anappo
Enthusiast
anappo doesn't litteranappo doesn't litteranappo doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
> Could you drop me a copy of a Cyrillic font ebook to my email address

Done.

If it indeed supports cyrillic as well then this device looks just about perfect in any sense I can currently think of..
anappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
Exclamation Cyrilic on CYBOOK

Hello,
I've received by cybook few days ago and as I'm Bulgarian I've tried to put some cyrilic books on it.

Current resluts are mediocre. It is possible to create book with Mobipocket Creator from TXT file or MSWord DOC file and as result book is readable. (Using UTF-8 setting in creator)

Simple putting TXT files in CYBOOK however does not want to work at all.
I've tried putting same TXT file in ANSI/UNICODE/UTF8/UNICODE Big Endian coded (all output formats supported by XP Notepad) files but none of the above when opened on reader is readable. Note that only ANSI one looks like book itself just symbols are not correct. But other format shows something that does not look like a book at all.

Internal fonts are quite capable of showing cyrilic books created by mobipocket.

Simple TXT file in ANSI encoding can be shown only by using some soft of heavily modified TTF file which contains UPPER HALF ASCII symbols replaced y cyrilic ones. Unfortunatelt I've no such font. May be I will try to create one for using it with my CYBOOK.
It is interesting as device itself should be capable of showing UNICODE TXT files as it supports UNICODE files and it is Linux under.
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlincho View Post
Hello,
I've received by cybook few days ago and as I'm Bulgarian I've tried to put some cyrilic books on it.

Current resluts are mediocre. It is possible to create book with Mobipocket Creator from TXT file or MSWord DOC file and as result book is readable. (Using UTF-8 setting in creator)

Simple putting TXT files in CYBOOK however does not want to work at all.
I've tried putting same TXT file in ANSI/UNICODE/UTF8/UNICODE Big Endian coded (all output formats supported by XP Notepad) files but none of the above when opened on reader is readable. Note that only ANSI one looks like book itself just symbols are not correct. But other format shows something that does not look like a book at all.

Internal fonts are quite capable of showing cyrilic books created by mobipocket.

Simple TXT file in ANSI encoding can be shown only by using some soft of heavily modified TTF file which contains UPPER HALF ASCII symbols replaced y cyrilic ones. Unfortunatelt I've no such font. May be I will try to create one for using it with my CYBOOK.
It is interesting as device itself should be capable of showing UNICODE TXT files as it supports UNICODE files and it is Linux under.
You don't want to put TXT files onto it using Cyrillic. For one thing, bare-boned TXT files are not anything but ASCII. Nope, you want to take those files and either format them in HTML or RTF and run THOSE files through MobiCreator or BookDesigner.

Then make sure you install the appropriate Cyrillic fonts onto your Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
The same problems show up when trying to read Polish text on Cybook. I sent an email to Bookeen about it, got answer asking for a list of sample files, and sent the samples to them, along with some URLs of Polish codepages.

Hopefully they'll introduce something like codepages in the next firmware upgrade - iso-8859-1 is supported, but iso-8859-2 isn't. And nothing else, really. No matter what codepage you set in HTML header.

I'm not comfortable with using workarounds like MobiCreator or BookDesigner. If Cybook is advertised as showing in txt and html books everything the Truetype fonts can show, it should eventually be capable of it.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
orlincho
Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
The same problems show up when trying to read Polish text on Cybook. I sent an email to Bookeen about it, got answer asking for a list of sample files, and sent the samples to them, along with some URLs of Polish codepages.

I'm not comfortable with using workarounds like MobiCreator or BookDesigner. If Cybook is advertised as showing in txt and html books everything the Truetype fonts can show, it should eventually be capable of it.
I've succeeded to show ASCII TXT file in cyrilic by using reworked TTF font with ASCII part filled accroding to "1251" codepage. You can find link to theese fonts here. Just donload them to CYBOOK/ delete font_cache file from system folder and check if any of them can work for you. If not I'm pretty sure that someone in Poland made such modified TTF but whith codepage you've mentioned.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
orlincho
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post

Hopefully they'll introduce something like codepages in the next firmware upgrade - iso-8859-1 is supported, but iso-8859-2 isn't. And nothing else, really. No matter what codepage you set in HTML header.
You can try font instalation found HERE. It looks like one you need.

You can check also this resources.

Just put an article in trobleshooting section if you're able to find a working solution.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Thank you for the information.

I use Polish Windows and all TTF fonts I have there actually have Polish letters. As far as I understand it, a TrueType font can contain multiple codepages in it. So it's not the matter of downloading a standard font, like the one in your second post, but establishing a correct mapping from character codes in the text to codepage+character code pair in the TTF file. There's no mention on the resources page of the solution you arrived at - apparently everyone is expecting every sensible piece of software out thereto know about codepages. I could make a workaround font just like the one you mentioned, but I prefer to wait for Bookeen - hoping they'll introduce support for codepages into their firmware. I read only English texts on Cybook anyway.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the issue here due to the fact that, with a text file, there's no way to specify which codepage it uses?

Presumably the reason it works with a Mobi file is that one can explicitly specify the codepage in such a file?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is the issue here due to the fact that, with a text file, there's no way to specify which codepage it uses?

Presumably the reason it works with a Mobi file is that one can explicitly specify the codepage in such a file?
I think that the reader only uses 1252 or utf-8 for MobiPocket files so if you have something else I think it is converted when you create the book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think that the reader only uses 1252 or utf-8 for MobiPocket files so if you have something else I think it is converted when you create the book.
Yes, you're right. In "MobiPocket Creator" there's an "Encoding" field, but I hadn't spotted that its only options were 1252 or UTF-8 .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Krystian Galaj
Guru

There are tags like:

META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-2"

in HTML, but Cybook ignores them at the moment.