Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #346
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVarga View Post
This is a rather old thread, but I hope somebody is still reading it...
I keep failing to extract the ISBN from PDF files (all PDF-s) with the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 290, in main
File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.pdf", line 86, in get_isbn
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'scanner' referenced before assignment

It is quite an old error; at present, I use Calibre 4.1.0 under Windows 10.

Can anybody help how to solve or bypass the problem?
This is possibly a compatibility issue with 4.x.
As a temporary work around. Install the 32 bit version of Calibre 3.48 (assumes you are running 64bit) You just can't have BOTH RUNNING at the same time.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #347
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Extract ISBN, from PDF's, works for me on version 4.1 (just did one) - must be certain PDF's.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #348
brutor2
brutor2 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Hi guys,

So far this plugin has worked well.
Recently it can not find the ISBN of epub even if they are in text format.
Am I the only one ?
My version of Calibre is 64 bits 4.7.
I try with 3.48 32 bits and 3.48 Portable its the same issue.

Thanks

Last edited by brutor2; 12-28-2019 at 08:12 AM.
brutor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #349
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutor2 View Post
Hi guys,

Am I the only one ?

Thanks
I don't think that PI has been touched since 2014. Other than Mods, Kiwidude is the only one that can change Post#1 (where the attachment lives)
(the fact that 3.x and that PI does not work says the PI is fine)

You have other issues (with that book) that break the 'locate' ISBN
IIRC space and dash are allowed in what it looks for.The publisher may have used a dash-like character, which will break things.

Sometimes, you just have to TYPE in the ISBN by hand
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:31 AM   #350
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hi guys,

Am I the only one ?
I don't remember exactly when, or with what version of calibre, but, I have tested this plugin in the last month or so. I remember having a problem finding a book with the ISBN in it. In any case, I have just tested using the Windows 64bit version of 4.7, and it worked for the first two books I tried.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2019, 02:30 AM   #351
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC the plugin searches what it considers to be 'the front' of the book, if not found it searches 'the back' of book - what constitutes 'front' and 'back' varies by format - the first post has some details.

BR
Old 12-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #352
brutor2

So far it has worked well.
It was only recently that the problem has begin.
And with all the books!
I know I can put it manually, but I do it regularly for a lot of books. It was very practical.
Yes, the problem is not with the plugin, but I'm looking for why now.
I tried on old books where it had worked. He tells me he can't find an ISBN.
I tried to uninstall the plugin and reinstall it. But that doesn't change anything.
I don't understand !
Thanks for your answer.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #353
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Check the plugin's settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-12-30 071453.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	175966

If in doubt about them:
  • open the calibre configuration folder in file manager (button in preference->miscellaneous)
  • close calibre,
  • open the plugins sub-folder,
  • delete the Extract ISBN.json file,
  • close the calibre configuration folder in file manager
  • restart calibre
A fresh copy of the json file will be created.

BR
Old 12-31-2019, 05:51 AM   #354
brutor2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Check the plugin's settings:

Attachment 175966

If in doubt about them:
  • open the calibre configuration folder in file manager (button in preference->miscellaneous)
  • close calibre,
  • open the plugins sub-folder,
  • delete the Extract ISBN.json file,
  • close the calibre configuration folder in file manager
  • restart calibre
A fresh copy of the json file will be created.

BR
Thanks for your answer.
I did what you told me
But no changes.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:23 AM   #355
brutor2

Hi Guys,
I tried with the portable version on another computer and it works.
Yet Windows 10 is the same.
Surely a problem related to my OS on this computer.

I do not understand why.
I'm going to have to work my library on two computers.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #356
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Hi Guys,
I tried with the portable version on another computer and it works.
Yet Windows 10 is the same.
Surely a problem related to my OS on this computer.
What about the AV or other 3rd party programs in startup, are they the same on both computers? They're often the cause of inexplicable problems, and they often update themselves silently.

Quote:
I do not understand why.
I'm going to have to work my library on two computers.
Try giving calibre a dedicated folder for temporary files, see CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR in Environment variables.

BR
Old 01-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #357
brutor2

Quote:
What about the AV or other 3rd party programs in startup, are they the same on both computers? They're often the cause of inexplicable problems, and they often update themselves silently.
Av are not the same on both computers. I will try to deactivate it.

Quote:
Try giving calibre a dedicated folder for temporary files, see CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR in Environment variables.

BR
I'm going to watch, but I'm not very good at modifying system files.

Thanks a lot and Happy new Year.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #358
brutor2

Hi guys,

I couldn't say how or why. I haven't changed anything on my computer.
But the plugin works normally today.

It's incomprehensible.

thank you for your attention.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #359
qwertyuio
Enthusiast
qwertyuio began at the beginning.

I have a large number of scanned pdf books. Manually entering the ISBNs is a pain so I made a change to the plugin to OCR the PDF to get the ISBN. I am on Linux and used the tesseract package to perform the OCR.

The processing time per book is anything between 3 and 30 seconds. This is fine for my purpose as I just select a bunch of books, hit 'Extract ISBN' and get a cup of coffee. It is still quicker than entering the ISBNs by hand. Interestingly for the one book that took 30 seconds, running the pdftoppm and tesseract commands from the command line for the first 3 pages (ISBN is on the 3rd page) only took 13 seconds. I have not investigated why it takes longer inside the plugin.

I am attaching the patch file here in case anyone is interested. It works for me but no guarantee it will work for anyone else as it is just hacked together and only works on Linux.

ocr_pdf.zip
qwertyuio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #360
zeekec
zeekec began at the beginning.

Device: None
Python 3?

Are there plans to support Python 3?

I get the error below when trying to configure the Extract ISBN plugin; iteritems was removed in python 3.

Code:
calibre, version 4.10.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'collections.OrderedDict' object has no attribute 'iteritems'

calibre 4.10  embedded-python: False is64bit: True
Linux-5.5.2-gentoo-r1-x86_64-AMD_Ryzen_7_1700X_Eight-Core_Processor-with-gentoo-2.6 Linux ('64bit', '')
('Linux', '5.5.2-gentoo-r1', '#1 SMP Wed Feb 5 15:37:57 MST 2020')
Python 3.6.10
Linux: ('Gentoo Base System', '2.6', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 6) && Embed Comic Metadata (1, 4, 0) && EpubMerge (2, 8, 0) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 22) && Goodreads Sync (1, 14, 1) && Library Codes (1, 0, 42) && Manage Series (1, 2, 9) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 0) && Overdrive Link (2, 38, 0) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Reading List (1, 6, 7) && Recipe Reader (1, 0, 1) && Search The Internet (1, 7, 6) && Wiki Reader (2, 1, 1) && Overdrive Link* (2, 38, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/preferences/plugins.py", line 295, in customize_plugin
    self.modify_plugin(op='customize')
  File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/gui2/preferences/plugins.py", line 373, in modify_plugin
    if plugin.do_user_config(self.gui):
  File "/usr/lib64/calibre/calibre/customize/__init__.py", line 157, in do_user_config
    config_widget = self.config_widget()
  File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.__init__", line 62, in config_widget
  File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.config", line 55, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.common_utils", line 426, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.common_utils", line 431, in populate_combo
AttributeError: 'collections.OrderedDict' object has no attribute 'iteritems'
zeekec is offline   Reply With Quote