wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Device Synchronization

On Amazon's website it says:

Quote:
Whispersync: Device Synchronization
If you plan to read the same book on more than one device at a time, you should keep synchronization on.

With synchronization on, a book will open at the last page read, even on another device. It will also keep track of any bookmarks, highlights, or notes that you add so you can see them on another Kindle.
You should turn synchronization off only if:
You and someone else are reading the same book, AND
The Kindles are registered to a single account
I have a Kindle 2 and I also have the Kindle app for the iPad. Will this keep my books in synch between my Kindle 2 and iPad?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
If the book is a Kindle Edition bought via Amazon = yes

Every personal document = no
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
wayner
Connoisseur

Great- the only books that I have on both were purchased at Amazon. I have not yet found a way to get books onto Kindle on the iPad, other than buying from the Amazon online store.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
have you checked out calibre?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
wayner
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
have you checked out calibre?
I have it running all of the time on my PC but I really only use it for creating eDocs of magazines and newspapers.

By synching my issue it primarily one of keeping bookmarks up to date so that if I read a few chapters on my iPad and then a few chapters on my Kindle I will be able to find where I left off.
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
wayner
Connoisseur

This works quite nicely - when I went into a book today on my Kindle 2 it said something like

Quote:
Sync to Furthest Page Read
You are currently at location 1323. The furthest read location is 1454 from "Wayner's iPad" at 10:40 EDT on April 21,2010. Go to that location?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Great- the only books that I have on both were purchased at Amazon. I have not yet found a way to get books onto Kindle on the iPad, other than buying from the Amazon online store.
On the iPhone it is only possible if you have a jailbreak on your phone so you are able to get access to the right folder to copy your document to the iphone. So i would guess its the same with the iPad.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote