Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Is There a Basic Reader?

I haven't been able to find one but does anyone know if there is such a thing as a basic, no frills Reader.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a Kindle DX as I would like as large a display as I can afford but - I don't need it to send e-mails, make phone calls, connect to the internet, mow lawns or lick ice creams, etc. - I have a PC, telephone and me for those jobs

I just want to be able to load books (mainly what I download from sites like Gutenberg and buy off the net with my PC) and read them without too much eye strain thus saving all the trees I have to cut down to print them out.

Thanks
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
lustyd
Enthusiast
lustyd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350, PRS-650
I think all of the ereaders answer that call. They are not cheap but I don't really know of any with excess features. Here in the UK the Cool-er and PRS300/PRS505 are good options without 3G/Wifi etc and have no keyboard or input methods so email is out of the question.
lustyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I like the Hanlin V3 and V5 as basic readers. They are sold in Australia by DA Direct (the ECOReader is a Hanlin V3). Screen size is 5" or 6", but all that means for ebooks is that you turn the page more often than on the Kindle DX's 9.7" screen. The advantage of the smaller screens is that the devices are more portable. Like most readers, except the Kindles, these support Adobe DRM (encryption). You can buy Adobe ePub (or PDF) ebooks from many ebook stores.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
If you would settle for the short term on something inexpensive, you might look at the Ectaco jetBook/Aluratek Libre or the Ectaco jetBook Lite.

They are very inexpensive compared to the competition, and most of their owners are quite satisfied with them.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
If you would settle for the short term on something inexpensive, you might look at the Ectaco jetBook/Aluratek Libre or the Ectaco jetBook Lite.

They are very inexpensive compared to the competition, and most of their owners are quite satisfied with them.
Well most ebook buyers are generally easy to satisfy...but yeah cheap is definitely a good way to go with ebooks, as it helps lower expectations.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

I'll second the suggestion to get the jetBook/Aluratek Libre. I got the Libre last week and am really enjoying it. The price is great and quality seems to be fine. One thing, if you are considering ever using your library's ebook loan program, get the Aluratek, as it has support for the version of epub that is used. The jetBook doesn't support that yet but might at some point in the future.

Good luck!
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
By basic reader if you mean, just to read ebooks..... in other words... no wifi, 3g, mp3 playback, photo viewer, text to speech, keyboards, then I would have two good options for you.

The Sony PRS-300 and the Pocketbook 360. I have a 300, love it, and you can go to a Best Buy, Target, Wal-mart and other retailers and see it, hold it...etc.

Another I would look at is the 360. Don't have one, never seen one... but worth a look.

Jetbook is an option, but debatable how long they will be around..... Not trying to start a flame war, just an observation born of experience. On the other hand, if the device works for you, who cares if they are around or not.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
By basic reader if you mean, just to read ebooks..... in other words... no wifi, 3g, mp3 playback, photo viewer, text to speech, keyboards, then I would have two good options for you.

The Sony PRS-300 and the Pocketbook 360. I have a 300, love it, and you can go to a Best Buy, Target, Wal-mart and other retailers and see it, hold it...etc.

Another I would look at is the 360. Don't have one, never seen one... but worth a look.

Jetbook is an option, but debatable how long they will be around..... Not trying to start a flame war, just an observation born of experience. On the other hand, if the device works for you, who cares if they are around or not.....
I'd add also one 6-inch device, which does have mp-3 capability, but still I call him a "good ole classic 6" reader - PocketBook 301". It's specially good if you need to read not only in English.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
I haven't been able to find one but does anyone know if there is such a thing as a basic, no frills Reader.

At the moment I'm leaning toward a Kindle DX as I would like as large a display as I can afford but - I don't need it to send e-mails, make phone calls, connect to the internet, mow lawns or lick ice creams, etc. - I have a PC, telephone and me for those jobs

I just want to be able to load books (mainly what I download from sites like Gutenberg and buy off the net with my PC) and read them without too much eye strain thus saving all the trees I have to cut down to print them out.

Thanks
Kevin
I just bought the Kindle 2 from Amazon... The price was AUD363.80 including leather case and delivery... I ordered it last Tuesday, and it was in Brisbane yesterday... I'll get it delivered on Monday... My Hanvon which I bought from oo.com.au (which is supposed to be a very cheap store) cost Aud357 including vinyl case and delivery. This took just a long to get here.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post

Thanks
Kevin
I just bought the Kindle 2 from Amazon... The price was AUD363.80 including leather case and delivery... I ordered it last Tuesday, and it was in Brisbane yesterday... I'll get it delivered on Monday... My Hanvon which I bought from oo.com.au (which is supposed to be a very cheap store) cost Aud357 including vinyl case and delivery. This took just a long to get here.

The Hanvon is 5" display, and the Kindle2 is 6"... I think buying from the USA at the moment, is better for the pocket than buying from Australia.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote