Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #7141
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Twitter traffic . . .

Last edited by alansplace; 04-27-2016 at 03:44 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #7142
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have been reading 'Rivers of London' from Ben Aaronovitch lately. I am about 80% now I guess. I am not so sure if I will pick up the other books in the series. The concept is good, but I do have some issues with the book. One of the main issues I have is the constant use of police jargon and and abbreviations. The other is that the story seems to halt several times and then picks up slowly again. Am I alone in this?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #7143
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool 'Rivers of London' a London cop who is also a wizard's apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I have been reading 'Rivers of London' from Ben Aaronovitch lately. I am about 80% now I guess. I am not so sure if I will pick up the other books in the series. The concept is good, but I do have some issues with the book. One of the main issues I have is the constant use of police jargon and and abbreviations. The other is that the story seems to halt several times and then picks up slowly again. Am I alone in this?
I don't disagree with your issues, but they didn't bother me as much as they seem to have bothered you. I liked it! And I've read the next two books in the series and liked them also!

Last edited by alansplace; 04-28-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #7144
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I don't disagree with your issues, but they didn't bother me as much as they seem to have bothered you. I liked it! And I've read the next two books in the series and liked them also!

I finished it and the end was alright. I think I will read the next book as well. After all, Jim also got better with the next book. I do definitely not like it as much as the Alex Verus books. Those I enjoy much more.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #7145
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Aaronovitch's tongue-in cheek writing style . . .

Quote:
I finished it and the end was alright. I think I will read the next book as well. After all, Jim also got better with the next book. I do definitely not like it as much as the Alex Verus books. Those I enjoy much more.
My enjoyment of the Peter Grant books stems from Aaronovitch's tongue-in cheek writing style which makes me laugh (I tend to chuckle throughout the entire book).

Advert
Old 04-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #7146
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Ghost Story-- Through the Window (Dresden Files) by dawnsio-ar-y-dibyn

Old 04-29-2016, 03:59 AM   #7147
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
My enjoyment of the Peter Grant books stems from Aaronovitch's tongue-in cheek writing style which makes me laugh (I tend to chuckle throughout the entire book).

Hmm, I found his style changing several times in the book and not consistent. I found that strange, because that wasn't the case in his Doctor Who books. On to the next book!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #7148
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Fan art - Molly

Old 04-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #7149
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Illustration of Hermione

The First Images From The New Fully Illustrated Edition Of “Harry Potter”

Jim Kay / Bloomsbury Publishing / Via mediaroom.scholastic.com

Last edited by alansplace; 04-30-2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #7150
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Aaronovitch's tongue-in cheek writing style . . .

Quote:
Hmm, I found his style changing several times in the book and not consistent. I found that strange, because that wasn't the case in his Doctor Who books. On to the next book!
Hmmm . . . haven't noticed that, just that his tongue seems firmly planted in his cheek and the story seems to work. So I get a good story and he keeps me smiling (most of the time)!

Old 04-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #7151
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Illustration of Hagrid

The First Images From The New Fully Illustrated Edition Of “Harry Potter”

Jim Kay / Bloomsbury Publishing / Via mediaroom.scholastic.com

Old 05-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #7152
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim's sister on twitter . . .

Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #7153
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Burn (Warning: Ghost Story Spoilers)

Quote:

Burn (Warning: Ghost Story Spoilers)
Priscilla Spencer

Published on May 1, 2016

WARNING: GHOST STORY SPOILERS

Hamilton meets The Dresden Files? The internet made me do it. All credit to the respective creators, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jim Butcher, who look weirdly similar, have you noticed?

Any ideas? Requests? Share them in the comments!

Lyrics:

I remember the day that you met me
Arm in arm with my father
You worked at his side
You bled at his side
You fought by his side

Do you know what my mother said
When you brought him home wounded one night.
She said, “Your sorcery’s sinister
And the Lord will not suffer your slight.”

You and your powers flooded my senses
You lifted up all the defenseless
You made Chicagoland your citadel
You fought the darkness

I was in Arctis Tor when you saved me
When Damocles’ Doom and the Council would
Make our fates tied
From then on you’d ride
With me at your side

The monsters would burn
Burn

Now your daughter is missing and needs you
You lay bent and broken and bargain
For strength to go on
But be Winter’s toy? No, you’d rather die.

Do you know what the scripture says
Of the way that you fell
It says, “There’s a torment for suicides
In the seventh-most circle of Hell.”

And in your fears of coldness and servitude
Apprentice becomes your accomplice
And you are paranoid to face your consequence
How Mab could freeze you
You, you, you…

I erased myself out of your memory
I watched as you called in a favor
And enacted the plan that you’d had me take part
It’s as cold as Mab’s heart

And you’d rather burn
Rather we burn

Your death left a hole in my heart
Your death left a hole in our town
I can’t live your legacy down
‘Cause I burned the memories
Burned out the moments that might have revealed you

You kept yourself free from your Queen
You kept yourself free from the cold
You won’t see the future unfold
A hell of a woman
Along at your side

It’s my time to burn
Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #7154
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Great video, thank you for posting it Alan.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #7155
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Twitter traffic . . .

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy