Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Kobobooks - no epub option

I just purchased a book from kobobooks.com only to discover it doesn't have an epub download option. I've seen this on the free books section, but never before on the purchased books, and I can't find any other examples from scrolling around the site. So I'm wondering if this is an error, or is this common practice?

The book is relatively recent (The Birth House by Ami McKay), published by Knopf Canada (or Vintage Canada) - I have other books from this publisher in epub.

It's not a huge problem, since I have downloaded it to my Kobo - but I do like to have an epub backup - just in case something ever happens to Kobo's website! Any one else experience this?
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
How did you download it to your Kobo if it's not in the EPUB format? All of the books I have from kobobooks.com are in EPUB format, so this seems strange. (Unfortunately, I can't see the options for download unless I actually order the book, so I'm not sure if it's just a glitch on your end or if the book just isn't available in EPUB.)
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Go to the online Kobo site not you desktop app, sign in and go to purchased it will have download epub option
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
@Terminator - I bought it on the Kobo website - there is no download epub option though (have bought and downloaded other books, so I know where to look)

@Coccinelle - you don't NEED to download the epub version from the website - it will sync to your book using either desktop app or over the wifi but then they are in Kobo's own kepub format. Which is not a problem for reading - I just like the assurance of having an epub version on my computer for backup.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
I thought a kepub was an EPUB. Or a type of EPUB...

If there's no EPUB option on the Kobo website, then I guess it just doesn't come in that format. There are bound to be a few...
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
At one point, Kobo was claiming there should be EPUB versions of every book they sell. Dunno if they've backed off that claim though.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
I don't think it's an error. But based on two of my previous purchases that were at the time not available in epub, it's possible you may have access to the epub later on.

I have two Harlequin titles that didn't have epub when I purchased, but now in my library there are epub links. This might be publisher-specific as Harlequin/Carina seem to be phasing out their other file formats in favour of epub.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
The Birth House by Ami McKay is available as an epub at least on the US website.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are times when books are available as kepub (the Kobo DRM flavour of ePUB), but not as the Adobe DRM version of ePUB. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
foldor
foldor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi
I actually had this exact same issue with another book. (Dark Tower 6 to be exact)

I had to go through over 2 months of useless support tickets, until I came here and complained directly to Sameer. It turns out they actually didn't have the book available in *any* format. There was no way to actually download the book. They finally refunded my money, and promised to get it online soon. It's still in my library, but it's been removed from the website completely.

Try making a support ticket and contacting someone on the Kobo team directly if that doesn't work.
foldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
carlb
carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carlb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BPDN, Kobo wifi
Unhappy draconian restrictions management strikes again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
I just purchased a book from kobobooks.com only to discover it doesn't have an epub download option. I've seen this on the free books section, but never before on the purchased books, and I can't find any other examples from scrolling around the site. So I'm wondering if this is an error, or is this common practice?
I've had this happen once with a paid-for Kobo book (Suite Française by Irène Nemirovsky). The description looks normal on Google's cached copy (a foreign server), but any attempt to view that webpage directly (I'm midway between Montréal and Toronto) gives:

"We're Sorry! This content is not available internationally. Unfortunately, this content is only available in select countries, and we do not currently have the rights to offer this content for browsing or purchasing in Canada. For more information on our geographic availability, please click here."

Worse yet, my Kobo is not functioning properly (lines through the display, with part of the "Please wait while your Kobo eReader processes new content" message there permanently) and I haven't had a chance to read this book (purchased December 2010) yet. Hopefully I haven't lost this title to the evils of DRM, now that I'm (for the moment) reading on some other (non-Kobo) device?
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
icaria
icaria began at the beginning.

Device: none
same thing with me. I downloaded a couple of free ebooks today from Borders Aust and they are sitting in a kepub folder with no file extension. There was no option to download an ADE epub version.

Looks like I'm only able to read them with the Borders/Kobo Appz.

Last edited by icaria; 03-12-2011 at 02:43 AM.
icaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ Icaria: What are you downloading with--an app or a reader? I believe (may no longer be true) that when you use a kobo app, by default you get the kepub format. It is added to your library though and you can download the ePUB version onto your computer and transfer it to an application that reads that format.

Last edited by taming; 03-12-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
@ Icaria: What are you downloading with--an app or a reader? I believe (may no longer be true) that when you use a kobo app, by default you get the kepub format. It is added to your library though and you can download the ePUB version onto your computer and transfer it to an application that reads that format.
Taming; there actually are some books on the Kobo web site that do NOT have ePub formats; only the kEpub variant.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yes, I know that (and if you scan up a few posts you will see that I mentioned that), but icaria's profile indicates that she does not have a reader.