Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #46
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
I think whatever the era, a writer's primary comfort lies in the fact that he or she is not a musician. Now those people have it tough!

Seriously, I think it is a great time to be a writer. With the internet and ebooks I can actually reach an audience of more than a few relatives and local readers. The internet makes all the difference. Imagine the publishing empire Ben Franklin would have made with that. He would have been a helluva blogger.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #47
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post

For example, "Anyone posting spam for DVD editing software on MobileRead should be put in the stocks in the town square, with the proceeds from sales of rotten vegetables to throw at him used to defray MR's server costs."
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #48
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
The real problem here is not piracy or intellectual property, but the fact that the job of a writer is changing. It's going back to what it used to be - which for some people is better than others.

The thing is, historically, being a writer was not a "job" but an entrepreneurial endeavor. Heck MOST professions were. That was what made the difference between a "profession" and a "job." You have to have more skills than just the central ones.

Publishing, for a short time, turned it into something more like a job, but it was a really sweet deal for the publishers. They did all the business end of the deal, but it was in their interests to pick and choose more, and to get fewer title out to a wider audience. But it was still a pretty good system for writers.

But then in the seventies, there was the Thor Power Tools tax ruling, and that changed publishing forever. No longer could publishers invest in large print runs (thus investing in midlist authors) to sell over many years. Instead they had to print as they went - which not only raised the cost phenomenally but it also put all the power in the hands of the big distributors.

Big distributors have no interest in either pleasing the customer or nurturing literature. They only want two things - predictable best sellers, and a lot of unproven cannon fodder that will push the consumer toward those best sellers. That's why there is so much "churn" in publishing over the past few years. Certain big name bookstore/distributors had a policy - they wouldn't order books by authors who hadn't hit best seller status in three or four books.

Amazon, of course, changed this. But before Amazon really hit it big, it was common for authors and publishers to change pen names every three books just to keep careers going.

That meant that nobody could build a career. It was devastating. Before that, midlist authors could make a living - your average author. After that, you simply couldn't.

THAT'S what killed things for authors. That's what makes it so hard. And that's what's changing with the advent of ebooks - and the new agency models that Apple and Amazon are using. Authors can go back to making a living - smaller audience, but better returns at lower prices, and a chance to really build a career.

But it requires a whole different mindset and skill set. A lot of authors will continue to hurt - but frankly they already were. It will just be for different reasons. Some will be worse off for a while, more will be better off.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #49
JohnHileman
Author
JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!JohnHileman is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Copyright. That is an antiquated, and selfish notion. People will pay for your books if they want you to keep writing. We need not fear free sharing of our hard work. Those who don't pay, help spread the word.

I gladly offer free coupons to anyone interested in reading my book. In fact, email me a armadonlion [at] gmail [dot] com, and I'll gladly send you a coupon to get my Fantasy book VRIN: ten mortal gods for free. You would be doing me a favor. Just by reading it, you will make it visible to other people, who may want to read it. And some of those people will likely buy it.

I don't think we as writers have anything to fear.

Regards,

John Michael Hileman

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-01-2012 at 02:35 PM.
JohnHileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #50
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHileman View Post
Copyright. That is an antiquated, and selfish notion. People will pay for your books if they want you to keep writing. We need not fear free sharing of our hard work. Those who don't pay, help spread the word.
Copyright as it was originally intended is neither selfish nor antiquated. It still protects creators from crooks and big businesses who would use the IP of others to get rich. THAT was the purpose.

A publisher can't just take my book and start selling it, or I can sue them for IP infringement.

But it was never meant to hamper the end user in using it as they see fit. And it was never meant to be for a virtually unending term - which really only is good for corporations, not artists and inventors.

It's the DMCA that took things out of the realm of reality.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
It's the DMCA that took things out of the realm of reality.
I'd say the corporations had started that trend before the DCMA came along... but I agree, copyright law is being corrupted for corporate gain. I'm honestly not sure whether that is entirely a bad thing--I don't see what difference it makes if I cannot make Mickey Mouse cartoons of my own, or buy "Steamboat Willie" for free--but I do believe in setting finite limits for copyright terms, and limiting the ability to purchase and extend rights beyond the original entities. IOW, maybe Disney can extend the rights to Mickey Mouse, since they created it, but they would not be able to buy up rights to, say, the Dumas classics, and extend them. And even if they offered me a billion dollars, and I was agreeable, their ability to purchase and extend my copyrights would be severely limited.

We could stand to see revised copyright laws that better fit the digital era, and enact some reasonable limits on how far copyright can be extended.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #52
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not asking you to "phrase the perfect set of pro-writer laws" -- just to tell me what those laws should include, in general terms. If you have no idea what those laws should be -- and you're the person who says they need to be passed -- then how should anyone else know what they should be?
I think everyone knows what the intent of those laws would be:
  • To protect IP, with punishments applied to those who illegally steal others' IP;
  • to allow users to access and use purchased IP, within established, acceptable limits, but not to disseminate or use purchased IP beyond the established limits of the IP owner/seller; and
  • to apply additional punishments to those who apply others' IP, without permission, for personal gain.

The point is, the existing IP laws are already pretty adequate as they are, with only minor tweaking needed. The real issue is needing the technology to properly back them up (because without it, the laws are toothless). Then the laws can enable and support the security technology.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:03 PM   #53
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
And how are those laws different from our current laws?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #54
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
And how are those laws different from our current laws?
The current laws use the far more sensible word infringement
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #55
nguirado
Wizard
nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nguirado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Here's my answer and I can't say it any less bluntly than this.

If you're a writer working with profit in mind then you are royally, unstoppably, irrevocably f**ked.

On the other hand if you're writing because you have something to say or want to tell stories to as many people as possible, then it's all dandelion fields and cloudless skies ahead.

Society has shifted, it's highly unlikely to shift back now.
Why is that?
nguirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #56
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Note: I won't be around much for a while; the magic smoke escaped from my monitor. (I'm on the netbook right now) Steve, please feel free to ignore all the posts I'm not writing.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 AM   #57
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguirado View Post
Why is that?
Firstly, the supply and demand model of economics relies heavily on scarcity of resources, electronic texts are not scarce (even with DRM applied). You can't build solid economic models of business on what is essentially free.

Second, we have a societal shift towards 'free' at every level. Where you might expect the majority of readers now to pay for a product, you can't expect this behaviour to carry forward with younger generations who are coming to maturity in a 'free' system. And you do not want to build a business model, going forward, on the small blip we're experiencing now.

Thirdly, the 'market' will become saturated as more and more people find that peculiar joy of writing a story (which can only be good for the greater culture). For every 'professional' who offers her work at discounted prices, there will be hundreds and thousands more 'amateurs' who are just as good as the professional, but who offer their work free, gratis and with licenses that grant every single kind of freedom that you could ever want (remixing, even selling the work if it isn't yours).

So what are you left with? The joy of creating, of course, and that's your payment to begin with. Just as a carpenter might craft a particularly fine chair or a table on a whim, so the writer must take her story, or novel or poem and find in its creation the same joy, the same worth. And then? Then you have access to the largest, most knowledge hungry audience ever to have existed. Then you might be read. Read. Not just bought like a box of Kellogs Cornflakes on the supermarket shelf, but read. And if you're really lucky, you'll be shared by those people who like your work. And then if you're double, triple, quadruple lucky, a community of people who like your work will form and offer to support your endeavours (this will happen to a micro percentage of writers).

What's most important is that we've finally wrestled control away from the people who would own our every thought and try to profit from those thoughts of ours. Those people never really cared for art or poetry or individual expression, as writers we were nothing more than product to them. But the world has changed. Everyone is a poet now, everyone is an author and a musician and a singer. And that's just the way it should be.

EDIT: Oh, and let me just add that if you do want to make money right here and right now, the only way I see as possibly working is using the old pulp model. Write fast, write a lot, write it under pseudonyms and pump it out there. If you can get ten to fifteen books out a year, you'll be making a fair packet, enough maybe to see you through when the whole thing stops working. But you have to give up all notions of individual expression or artistic integrity. You have to treat it just like you would selling widgets. Study what is selling, look at the numbers, write something similar and simple, very simple with a paired down writing style and quick, very quick chapters.

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-30-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #58
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

So... pump out tons of glittering-vampire c**p for lunch money... or labor like you're possessed and give the soul of your labors away, so maybe 3-4 of the saturated masses will find it, and find time to read it amidst the thousands of other e-books pushed at them.

And people call me "negative."
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #59
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
So... pump out tons of glittering-vampire c**p for lunch money... or labor like you're possessed and give the soul of your labors away, so maybe 3-4 of the saturated masses will find it, and find time to read it amidst the thousands of other e-books pushed at them.

And people call me "negative."
I don't labour at all, there's very little sweat in my creation and I enjoy every single minute of that creation with all of my soul poured into the craft. I wrote a story at lunch today about D. Boon from the band The Minutemen. I spent half an hour on it, and forgot to eat my lunch. I'm glad I went hungry. I can do whatever I like, whenever I like, without any notion of pleasing anybody but me and my own creative drives as long as I don't expect to be paid. I'll also take three or four readers who come to my work out of honest curiosity and interest over a million who would buy my work because they've taken notice of marketing.

It's a trade-off, and a very simple trade-off at that. If you want to treat writing as a business, then you're going to have to treat it as a business not an art. You'll have to temper your instincts and your passions to sell to the widest possible audience. If that means sparkly vampires, then sparkly vampires it shall be. Write enough sparkly vampires, stupid religious conspiracies and private eye stories and you'll make your retirement money in spades.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #60
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I think you might be looking too starkly at a black-or-white scenario here. There is a huge middle-ground between writing for the sake of writing, and who cares if anyone even sees it... and writing commercial content and going for the gold.

I don't see how the present medium, technology or social state (ephemeral as they all are) have removed that middle ground... in fact, they seem to have widened it and filled it out with many new opportunities, some transient, some surely with us for as long as we can imagine.

And we have to face it: The world continues to revolve around money, something else which will be with us as long as one person needs the services of another... and I don't see that going away anytime soon. So there will always be room for those who want to earn money by doing something creative, at large or small scales, to house their families or just to buy a hamburger... even if it's harder and harder to manage it.

(By the way, I hope you didn't waste that lunch you didn't eat...)

Tags
fair use, security, the almighty dollar, writing and technology