Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
jcgam69
jcgam69 began at the beginning.

Device: DX
DX anti-brick

I'm thinking about trying the USB networking fix on my DX. First though, I'd like to know if there's any way to restore the firmware to its original state if it bricks, or if I otherwise screw it up.
jcgam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
I would guess that you'd want to wait until there is an updated firmware released. Until then, I don't think there is a firmware file you could use to revert. I may be wrong, though - and I am sure someone will step in to correct me.

D.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Without JTAG and full NOR/NAND flash dump I don't think there is 100% way to recover. Having a working serial console will help you to recover most of screw ups, though.
My usb networking update is pretty safe as it doesn't modify anything that is run automaticaly (there is only one file created - symlink to user store partition).
Anyways, if you really worry about bricking your Kindle - don't install any updates, especially if you don't understand what they do and how they work.
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
jcgam69
jcgam69 began at the beginning.

Device: DX
I'm not worried about your update at all. If this root console gives me access to everything in the system I'll want to play around and modify things just because I can. I think it would be fun and educational. I'll just have to make changes carefully, and only one change at a time. The first thing I'd like to look for is a way to disable sleep mode.
jcgam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgam69 View Post
The first thing I'd like to look for is a way to disable sleep mode.
As it was suggested earlier - powerd is responsible for screensaver timeout, there is a config file in /etc for this daemon, just increase timeout to something big
ebs is offline   Reply With Quote