Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you sync your device?
Every day 4 4.35%
Frequently but not every day 5 5.43%
Once a week 3 3.26%
Only when necessary (to update bookmarks, download new books, etc) 32 34.78%
Only when there is a new firmware available 10 10.87%
Sometime after the new firmware is released and people have commented about it 20 21.74%
Never, I like to use an older firmware and don’t want it to update 18 19.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #16
gravespinner
gravespinner began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650, bricked PRS-T1, KOBO Glo x2
New to Kobo after my wife bricked her Sony. I still have a Sony but never had it authorized and sideloaded a couple of updates but was annoyed at the Kobo setup that seemed to insist on going to their website and registering. Someone was impatient so did not look for a workaround. We ADM to Calibre so don't see a need for Kobo desktop or connecting to their site. Calibre may start looking ugly with extra columns for Sony and Kobo.
TLDR will sideload software updates.
gravespinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I do it when necessary: all the reasons provided in the poll and the fact to sync between ereaders. It depends very much on my commute and the time spent reading outside the house.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I selected the wrong one. Even though I do sync only when necessary, the frequency is actually several times a week. I'm also branching out to try Whispersync since I have so many of them now, so for 2 devices (Ipod touch and one kindle), they will be synced continuously.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
I've started syncing it a lot more often since it got Pocket integration.
This.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Every single time I sync my Aura and Aura HD both freeze and have to be started with the paperclip. That often takes a couple tries to get it working again. I only sync when I buy a new book...I search for it, download it, and shut wireless off. Syncing also tends to bring back duplicate shelves. Not impressed with Kobo software. The hardware is outstanding but the software not so much.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I just enable wireless, then point the browser to my Calibre connection and download newly added books that way. If there's a few, I'll connect it physically to my computer to do it, but otherwise just use Calibre as a wireless content server.

I'd like Calibre to have a syncing function, but it's not too bad this way.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
Every single time I sync my Aura and Aura HD both freeze and have to be started with the paperclip.
Can I ask what firmware version you're on? That occasionally happened to me with the last version (or possibly the one before that), but with the latest it hasn't happened once yet, and I'm syncing much more often.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also if the "spinner" is still moving, the sync is still happening. Yes; some times syncs can take for flipping ever to complete!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Can I ask what firmware version you're on? That occasionally happened to me with the last version (or possibly the one before that), but with the latest it hasn't happened once yet, and I'm syncing much more often.
The Glos (mine and hubby's) and Aura HD are on 2.8.1b. I never was able to get them to sync to the newest firmware.

The Aura is on 2.9.0
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I've no reason to sync. I only sideload firmware updates after Metazoa releases a new patch and I sideload my books since I don't read kepubs.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #26
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Sync?
Was I supposed to sync something? I've used my Kobo everyday, loading books with Calibre. Everything I use works perfectly. "If it ain't broke..."

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote