Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
before I click that buy button...

I'm thinking of buying a Pocket Pro for my mom. She will mainly be getting books from the Library. They are in ePub format - will they work ok? (I'm DRM challenged)

Also I have a kindle and want to put some of the books I have (drm-removed) in mobi format on there - that shouldn't cause any problems right?

Thanks and sorry if these are silly questions, but as soon as I saw the purple, I had to get it for her! (The Sony reader would be the 2nd choice)
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Yes, ePub, even drm'd ePub, works well. Drm-free mobi also works well. They are the two formats I have used the most on my PP.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Pocket Pro for my mom. She will mainly be getting books from the Library. They are in ePub format - will they work ok? (I'm DRM challenged)

Also I have a kindle and want to put some of the books I have (drm-removed) in mobi format on there - that shouldn't cause any problems right?

Thanks and sorry if these are silly questions, but as soon as I saw the purple, I had to get it for her! (The Sony reader would be the 2nd choice)
She has a computer with Windows? (Applies to almost every book reader to use DRM controlled books)
She will need Adobe Digital editions software installed and/or the software specified at her Library e-book section.
(Linux can be made to work, just not as simple).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Writernan
Enthusiast
Writernan began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak 5"
I don't want to knock any other readers, but when I was doing research, I considered the Sony reader ... until a salesperson told me they had had several returned.

Just an FYI.
Writernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writernan View Post
I don't want to knock any other readers, but when I was doing research, I considered the Sony reader ... until a salesperson told me they had had several returned.

Just an FYI.
There are all sorts of reasons for returns It's what happens when/after you do the return.
Astak had a very painful paint problem. As far as I can tell, the people that wanted to, got it resolved.
Stuff happens in production. They bit the bullet, and got it fixed.
Denial like Toyota appears to have done is not the way to go.
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Warm welcome, Yankgirl

Quote:

Dear Yankgirl:

Welcome to our merry little band of Astak lovers. I work for Astak; and our forum has me on it most of the time. Here you get to talk with the company!!

There is no such thing as a silly question on this forum.

The Pocket PRO weighs less (5.8 ounces), is faster (Epson Controller with 400MHz processor) and is FAR more full-featured thatn the Sony BRS-300. Our device has the same E-Ink screen and 8 level grey scale... but there the similarity ends. The Pocket PRO comes in 6 colors, has Text-To-Speech, has an SD card slot that can go to 8,000 eBooks and your MP3 music, has three page turning stations, has a USER-Replaceable rechargeable battery, comes with the crush-resistant case and free ear buds, and is a pleasure to hold and read from. One battery charge will allow you to read 3-4 novels approximately. The Pocket PRO has 20 formats on it including Adobe Digital Editions for DRM of EPUB and PDF. You get 9 levels of font increase in EPUB and PDF.

Yes, your DRM and non-DRM EPUB and your non-DRM Mobi will read just fine!

Thank you! We want you on our forum!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
She has a computer with Windows? (Applies to almost every book reader to use DRM controlled books)
She will need Adobe Digital editions software installed and/or the software specified at her Library e-book section.
(Linux can be made to work, just not as simple).
We're all on Macs. Would that cause a problem? We have the Adobe Digital software installed.
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
We're all on Macs. Would that cause a problem? We have the Adobe Digital software installed.
No not at all, the PP will work fine. IIRC there are a few Mac users on this forum with Pocket Pros.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I just did not answer for Macs as I only use Linux and Windows: "I'm a PC (architecture) Guy"
Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
One thing to remember about Adobe Digital is that it's device centered. As the file goes from the server to your computer, the DRM gets applied. You can have up to six devices authorized per account, but that account is tied to that original download. From a management standpoint, that means that if you have one Adobe Digital account, with both computers authorized on that account, you can share books with each other. If you each have your own accounts, you can't. That might not be much of an issue for you if you read on your Kindle and she reads library books, but it could cause you problems in the future if you start buying books.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
If you haven't already downloaded books from the library, you might want to give it a test run before making any decisions. I know the audiobooks from Overdrive require Windows (and the Overdrive software must be installed on your PC), but I'm pretty sure the ebooks will work ok on a Mac since they don't require the Overdrive software, just ADE (or a PID for Mobipocket, but that won't work on the PP without stripping the DRM).
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote