Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
$1 for Kindle: Debatable Space by Philip Palmer

I'm not positive, but I think this is October's $1 Orbit book

Debatable Space
by Philip Palmer
http://www.amazon.com/Debatable-Spac...4395324&sr=1-1
$1.00

From Publishers Weekly
It's rarely a good sign when an author tells readers with sad grasshopper minds to skip ahead if they're bored, as Palmer does in this muddled debut space opera. After grabbing readers with action sequences revolving around a plan to use former President of Humanity Lena Smith against her despotic son, Peter, whom Lena tenderly calls the most evil human being who has ever lived, a series of long, rambling Excerpts from the Thought Diary of Lena Smith, 2004– bring the action to a screeching halt. Lena's description of her thousand-year life and accounts of her sexual escapades and theology will weary many readers. The concepts, writing and plotting leave a great deal to be desired, and Palmer's attempt at humor centered on the notion of powerful, intelligent flame beasts addicted to bad television also falls flat. (Jan.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Product Description
Flanagan (who is, for want of a better word, a pirate) has a plan. It seems relatively simple: kidnap Lena, the Cheo's daughter, demand a vast ransom for her safe return, sit back and wait.

Only the Cheo, despotic ruler of the known universe, isn't playing ball. Flanagan and his crew have seen this before, of course, but since they've learned a few tricks from the bad old days and since they know something about Lena that should make the plan foolproof, the Cheo's defiance is a major setback. It is a situation that calls for extreme measures.

Luckily, Flanagan has considerable experience in this area . . .

Last edited by Xia; 10-01-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Formatting
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
The reviews don't look god...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
The reviews don't look god...
Oh, I know!! That's why I didn't buy it. Or even sample it.

Which brings to mind, perhaps I should have mentioned this previously:

I am not making any reading recommendations when I post a bargain here (**unless I specifically state I am making a recommendation!**) - I am just posting a few 'Deals, Bargains, & Freebies' as I discover them.

I, for one, found this month's "deals" from the publishers (particularly Orbit) to be very disappointing. I only "bought" the 3 freebies from Random House (cuz I do be liking the SF). I might check out the one from the author of "The Constant Gardener", but that's probably it for the discounted ones ( since I already own "Night's Dawn Trilogy").

If I do recommend something, I will come right out and say (& probably in annoying caps & bold with excessive exclamation points thrown in) "I RECOMMEND THIS ..."

But, I most certainly have not done so in this case.

Warm regards,
Alexia
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, it is terrible. You'd have to pay me to take it.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote