Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Kindle: AZW3 instead of MOBI?

I have so far used MOBI on my Kindle, although I keep all my books as EPUBs in Calibre. When I use "Send to Device", Calibre asks me if I want to auto-convert and when I say "yes", it converts them to MOBI and uploads them.

I've now discovered that AZW3 seems to be a much better format (MOBI shows an inline TOC as a bulleted list, even though it is without bullets in the EPUB, justified text is displayed with a ragged margin if the Kindle thinks the spaces between words would be too wide, and it doesn't break lines on hyphens or dashes, whereas AZW£ seems to break at least on hyphens).

I can convert manually from EPUB to AZW3 (I want to keep my "master" copies as EPUBs), but I can't find a way to get Calibre to auto-convert to AZW3 instead of MOBI. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I have so far used MOBI on my Kindle, although I keep all my books as EPUBs in Calibre. When I use "Send to Device", Calibre asks me if I want to auto-convert and when I say "yes", it converts them to MOBI and uploads them.

I've now discovered that AZW3 seems to be a much better format (MOBI shows an inline TOC as a bulleted list, even though it is without bullets in the EPUB, justified text is displayed with a ragged margin if the Kindle thinks the spaces between words would be too wide, and it doesn't break lines on hyphens or dashes, whereas AZW£ seems to break at least on hyphens).

I can convert manually from EPUB to AZW3 (I want to keep my "master" copies as EPUBs), but I can't find a way to get Calibre to auto-convert to AZW3 instead of MOBI. Can anyone tell me how to do this?
In the device driver(configur this device), move AZW3 above Mobi in the list. IMHO still leave both ticked
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Behavior->Output format = AZW3
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In the device driver(configur this device), move AZW3 above Mobi in the list. IMHO still leave both ticked
Sorry for my ignorance, but where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preferences->Behavior->Output format = AZW3
This is currently set to EPUB, since that's what I want "convert book" to default to when working inside Calibre... but for converting for upload to the Kindle, this is not appropriate, of course. I just want to auto-convert to AZW3 rather than to MOBI by default.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 AM   #5
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but where do I find this?
Don't worry, found it after a bit more rooting around: Prefs > Plugins > Device interface plugins > Kindle, then Customize Plugin.
Advert
Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't worry, found it after a bit more rooting around: Prefs > Plugins > Device interface plugins > Kindle, then Customize Plugin.
It is also right click available on the STD icon (device connected)
Old 04-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is also right click available on the STD icon (device connected)
Duh -- should have thought of connecting the device...
Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Duh -- should have thought of connecting the device...
It was not always there.

Just been there quite a while

Tags
conversion, defaults, kindle