Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Hekate
Hekate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Kindle for iOS - issue with borders?

I am having a bit of trouble with borders in a book I am formatting.
I added a "border-top" and "border-bottom" to the chapter titles and it shows right in Kindle Previewer on every device except for Kindle for iOS (and old Kindles that don't support borders at all).

But in Kindle for iOS there is border around the text, not just top and bottom, but left and right also.
I tried adding "border-left" & "border-right: none" or "0px", but when I added that all borders disappeared in Kindle for iOS - but still looked right on other devices.
Is there a way to add borders to only 1, 2 or 3 sides of a div in Kindle for iOS? Has anyone had similar experiences before?

I don't have an iOS device to test directly, only Kindle Previewer, my Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle for Android.

Is this border thing in Kindle for iOS a known issue?

Thanks,
-V
Hekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
From the little bit of experimentation I've done, KF8 formatting does not work in the iOS app with side loaded content (even if delivered via personal documents service). There was some discussion of this on eBook Ninjas podcast: http://ebookninjas.com/2013/08/16/ep...8-iris-febres/
Apparently there is some iOS issue that Amazon has not been able to resolve with Apple.

There is some level of support when the content comes from Amazon, and side-loaded fixed-layout KF8 seems to work.

My takeaway is that you cannot test directly, if it looks okay with previewer and the other apps that may be the best you can do for now.

You might also post to Twitter with hash tag #eprdctn, I'm sure other people are dealing with this and might be able to help or confirm what the issues are.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-21-2013 at 11:44 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Hekate

Thanks a lot tomsem! Didn't know about that twitter hashtag. Tweeted the issue.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I don't know whether this is relevant, but 'they say' that the Kindle app for the iPad is a pretty poor piece of work.

I did a poetry ebook with some fancy line length and indent formatting which worked perfectly well on my Sony, on iPad/iBooks, and on an upgraded Kindle Keyboard - ePub converted to mobi/azw3 with calibre. It was a disaster on the Kindle app for the iPad.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Hekate

Yeah, it's stupid really. And I don't understand, it's not like there's difference in the same epub from Nook to Kobo or something... It's Kindle on one device vs Kindle on another. It looks great on Kindle for Android for example and all Kindle devices that support borders. And it's not like Kindle for iOS doesn't support borders. It obviously does. But it's f*cked up.
Now I understand they might assume that whoever owns an iOS device is most likely to use iBooks than Kindle and why bother, but still... They should get their shit together!
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm rather miffed that Amazon doesn't really seem to care about most of the formatting issues and concerns we have. Little is EVER done to improve formatting on any Kindle device or app, especially the apps. They stubbornly refuse to give us decent margins control or much else that has been long requested. And they seem to not really care whether they even consistently support KF8 on all devices and apps.

Tags
borders, css, ios, kindle