Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #46
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@tayseidel,
Regarding CoolReader, if I was to create a completely different epub which contained the same sorts of visual styles, but used totally different css class names, would your existing CoolReader config work on both epubs or would you need to totally tweak the config for the second one?

I experimented with that right after I made the CSS tweaks in Coolreader and indeed, my other epubs do not look right. So, the tweaks I made were worthless.

I am going to stick with FBreader for my ST novels since I make my own epubs of those, and I like the anti-aliasing in FBreader the best.

I'll still try tinkering around with different apps to see if I can find a reader app that can display epubs correctly when I need them to, so that I don't have to resort to using the ADE app which I don't like.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #47
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Regarding Calibre News. I'm assuming a typical News epub is very reliant on hyperlinks to jump from section to section. Do these work correctly in the other apps?
coolreader handels the TOC nicely (multilevel), but the scrolling is just annoying. The links to jump sections or to the next/previous article act weird.

FBReader handels TOC the same, links work ok.

Moonreader acts ok
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #48
Gustav Gans
Enthusiast
Gustav Gans began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
You should send the test file to the author of Cool Reader so that he can start following epub standards.
Gustav Gans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #49
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@fjtorres,

I suspect you and I will never agree on epub readers, c'est la vie

My 'ideal' would be one which obeys all internal css 'special' formatting but allows easy user override for 'standard body text' only (font-family, font-size, page margins, line-height, justification. I'd settle for one which allows me free rein overriding body{...} styling but obeys internal epub css everywhere else. Plus the ability to easily define my 3 default generic fonts (serif, sans-serif and monospace), of course. At the moment ADE with workarounds-which-attempt-to-reproduce-PRSPlus-css-customisation comes closest on the T1.

I have to say that Sony's 3 default generic fonts are appalling. They've been around since the PRS505, at least (maybe longer). The poor coverage of non-Western European languages and the fact that each of the 3 single font files is stretched/squeezed/slanted into artifical bold and italics is inexcusable at this stage of ereader development. The extra fonts which appear on the T1 are definitely much better, but an implementation which can't manage to display bold and italic reliably out-of-the-box beggars belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Coolreader has a toggle; you can choose to ignore the CSS style formats and instead apply the formatting you assign to each tag or have it use the CSS formats but apply your choice of font, margin, and line-spacing settings.
This statement sounds quite promising, however the images posted here so far don't really bear this out.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-06-2012 at 07:20 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
@fjtorres,

I suspect you and I will never agree on epub readers, c'est la vie
No problem.
Different strokes and all that.

But the trend to more user overrides is expanding.
Even Amazon is getting with the program: the Kindle Reading app for FIRE *finally* allows for multiple typefaces. Its no longer about choosing between Caecillia and Caecillia.

As an example of differences in tastes: I *abhor* Caecillia at anything but the smallest sizes. My preferred font on eink screens these days is Georgia, which looks glorious in Coolreader 3 on the T1. On LCD screens, though, it doesn't quite work for me whereas Original Garamond shines.

I see it as another form of publisher gatekeeping, forcing their choices upon me. Right or wrong, I just want the *choice*.
If I want to ready in Comic sans in dual column landscape with no page counter or status bar I should be able to. So I choose devices and apps that let me do it my way.
Doesn't mean *everybody* has to do it my way; rather I want everybody to be free to do it their way.

It comes back down to my view that ebooks are not and should not be seen as simply print books minus tree pulp or as digital microfiche.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-06-2012 at 11:31 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way: I don't see the failure to get epubs to render consistently across apps as failure of the apps, but rather a failure of epub as a standard.
ePub simply is too loose a standard with too much left to interpretation.
And with no way to enforce compliance, we get stuff like the recent Kobo CSS fiasco...
(shrug)
It is what it is.
Useful but no panacea.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #52
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
I don't have an Android device but I tested Epub_Test.epub on Nook app for Mac. The formatting is rendered correctly (is the same as rendered by ADE), with the added bonus of allowing you to change fonts.

Is there a Nook reading app for Android? If so, can the app be installed on a Sony T1?

I suspect that the format will be correct with Nook for Android app?
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #53
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreaderfan View Post
I don't have an Android device but I tested Epub_Test.epub on Nook app for Mac. The formatting is rendered correctly (is the same as rendered by ADE), with the added bonus of allowing you to change fonts.

Is there a Nook reading app for Android? If so, can the app be installed on a Sony T1?

I suspect that the format will be correct with Nook for Android app?
There is: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...id/379002287/?

Not sure about the installation though......
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #54
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

That is because the nook reader is ADE. Both the Sony reader and Nook devices use Adobe Mobile reader, which is ADE. The nook and Sony reader android apps will not allow you to use your own fonts as is the case with the respective reader software on the nook and Sony devices.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #55
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
There is: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...id/379002287/?

Not sure about the installation though......
Nook 2.5 installs and runs on a freshly rooted T1.
2.6 and newer needs more memory, I think.
Freeware Lovers has Nook 2.5 for download.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #56
tayseidel
Zealot

I've since switched over to coolreader a few weeks ago and I've kept it updated with the latest versions from the sourceforge page. I've noticed that the font rendering on the T1 in coolreader has improved considerably. I switched to coolreader because it renders epubs the most accurately out of all the android reading apps, while still offering control over the look of the formatting. (I can switch CSS formatting off, for instance) Sometimes when my Star Trek novels come with formatting that I am satisified with, I will leave the CSS formatting enabled in coolreader. I like this flexibility, while using the fonts of my choice. Right now I am using the Ubuntu family of fonts. It looks excellent on the T1 e-ink screen, and sets the mood quite nicely while reading my Star Trek novels, as the font closely resembles some of the fonts seen on Star Trek. I've attached two pictures, taken from my phone.

Edit- no adjustments were made to coolreader other than the default font size, font gamma, and font width spacing. (19, 1.1, and 60%, respectively)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0210.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	868.0 KB
ID:	81848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0215.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	794.5 KB
ID:	81849  

Last edited by tayseidel; 01-29-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #57
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
For anyone who may be interested and doesn't already know...

Morkl has been doing some excellent work enhancing the standard Sony reader app. This is still a work in progress but as of now these are the features:
  • Fixed bold/italic bug when selecting different font from 'Original'
  • Can customise your own set of 6 preferred fonts (replacing Amasis, Palatino etc). Can also redefine 'Original' if you want.
    Can also customise body margins, line spacing, justification.
    Note: it is still possible that the internal css of some epubs may override your custom settings
  • Can customise the 8 font-sizes so there isn't such a big jump between each.
  • Can set the number of pages between full page refresh.
  • Can be installed on either rooted or non-rooted T1s. It replaces the original Sony app.

For anyone wanting to track the progress of Morkl's projects there are threads here and here
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #58
Lanix
Lanix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you still have to remove DRM if you install the Kindle app?
Lanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #59
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanix View Post
Do you still have to remove DRM if you install the Kindle app?
If registered with the same account no need for removing DRM, even can download via whispersync.
sucah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #60
Lanix
Lanix began at the beginning.

Device: none
I guess the Sony dictionaries don't work with the Kinddle app? Can you still mark words easily and use the Kindle app dictionary?
Lanix is offline   Reply With Quote