Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
raulf
raulf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The first eBook i read was "The Sign of Four", from the complete Sherlock Homes collection available here at mobileread. In fact, i was reading it in pBook format and when i got the Kindle i switched to eBook and never looked back.
raulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #17
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
The first ebook I ever read was 'The Spirit Ring' by Lois McMaster Bujold, mainly because that was the only one of hers that I hadn't read. I read it on my computer while waiting for my Cybook to arrive, and then again on the reader when it came.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #18
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I think the first book I read on my Sony Reader was Excavation (James Rollins). Was part of the default content and a very good book.
The first ebook I remember that wasn't "suggested" for me was probably Pride & Prejudice.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #19
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
My first ebook, as far as I can remember, was The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier by Bruce Sterling. And the main reason was because it was free-I had a new Palm that included reading software (don't even remember the software-might have been eReader, or maybe MobiPocket) so I wanted to try it out. Second reason was because it was a subject I was interested in. Interesting book, by the way.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #20
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I don't remember the first ebook I read, but besides some ebooks from Project Gutenburg, one of the earliest ones I purchased and read is "Star Trek - New Frontier" by Peter David. It is an excellent series that is set at the same time as "Star Trek - The Next Generation" and it retains the same feel as "Star Trek - The Original Series."
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #21
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
First ebook

Plutarch's Lives read on a Casio PV 600 organizer
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #22
linou
linou began at the beginning.

Device: psr 505
My first read was Roadside Crosses by Jeffery Deaver.
I bought the ebook, knowing I'd get the reader just a few weeks after...
linou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #23
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Hmm. I don't remember the specific story, but it was one of a bunch of book in PDF format purchased from AlexLit in the late 1990's.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
My first eBook was I-forget-which-classic from Project Gutenberg (back in pre-WWW days). It was plain-old-ASCII text, with no formatting at all. I gave up on it.

My first (successful) eBook was On Basilisk Station from Baen, sometime in the '90s. That, plus the beginning of Webscriptions got me to buy an RCA-1100 ebook reader (now the eBookwise-1100), and it's been all downhill from there. I'm now on my third reader device (a Sony PRS-700), and have purchased over 1000 eBooks (not counting freebies).

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I think it was My Antonia by Willa Cather from Project Gutenberg. I read it on my laptop in the late 90s.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
My first eBook were Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #27
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
My first ebook was The alchemist by Paulo Coelho
I thought of it as my first ebook before I read it

Wiki excerpt:
Paulo Coelho is a strong advocate of spreading his books through peer-to-peer file sharing networks. He put his own books on file-sharing networks like BitTorrent, and noted that The Alchemist received a boost in sales due to this.[26] He stated that "I do think that when a reader has the possibility to read some chapters, he or she can always decide to buy the book later."[26] Currently, chapters from The Alchemist can be found on Google Books and Coelho's agency Sant Jordi Associoados.[27][28] Entire copies of his books, including translations, can also be found on Pirate Coelho, a blog off Coelho's main blog.[29]

Last edited by TGNY; 12-17-2009 at 11:22 PM.
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 AM   #28
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
My first ebook was Ibsen's Hedda Gabbler.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #29
Fiona
Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Mobi for Nokia N95; Hanlin V3; Sony PRS350; Kindle for Android
Terry Pratchett's 'Small Gods'. A favourite.

(The Turtle Moves!)
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #30
Ridley
Ridley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch Edition
First ebook I ever read was Machiavelli's The Prince off Project Gutenberg's site.

The first I ever bought, however, was Deidre Knight's Butterfly Tattoo which was only available in ebook at the time.
Ridley is offline   Reply With Quote