Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #166
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Also don't forget that when you "delete" a file on your PC, it doesn't actually remove the bits that make up that file, it just removes a pointer to them from the filesystem. It's fairly trivial to recover deleted files on most PCs. The only way to REALLY delete your copy of those digital 1's and 0's which represent that library ebook is to destroy your hard drive.

So to be fully legal/moral you need to destroy your hard drive each time one of your "loans" expires, or do a low-level wipe of the hard drive and reinstall your OS. Either that or realize that all this "equating digital files with physical property" stuff is just nonsense.
How about I just promised to never read them again and pretend they are gone. For my purposes (with my computer skills), they are.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #167
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
How about I just promised to never read them again and pretend they are gone
You are asking copyright guardians to *trust* you! Having lived through the evolution of the digital music market, that is something they struggle with
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #168
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
The only way to REALLY delete your copy of those digital 1's and 0's which represent that library ebook is to destroy your hard drive.
This is absolutely ridiculous.

You can just overwrite those ones and zeros, and they'll be gone just the same. Run any disk defragmenter and it will probably overwrite those platter clusters.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #169
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post

You can just overwrite those ones and zeros, and they'll be gone just the same. Run any disk defragmenter and it will probably overwrite those platter clusters.
There are data recovery techniques that can get those ones and zeros back even if you overwrite them.

However, I wasn't really being serious though. Just pointing out how silly the whole comparison is when trying to think of digital data in physical property terms. That's why all sorts of nonsense happens when we try to apply laws and/or business models from physical property to digital data. You're right, it is absolutely ridiculous.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #170
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are data recovery techniques that can get those ones and zeros back even if you overwrite them.
This works only sometimes, and in specific situations.
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #171
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
This works only sometimes, and in specific situations.
I think Shaggy is making a different point....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #172
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I think Shaggy is making a different point....
I know, but still... a bad argument bugs the hell out of me.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #173
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Kind of on topic.

I am thinking of purchasing a PDF version of a travel guide, available from Lonely Planet.

The only reason I'd purchase it, though, is if I can be certain I can remove the DRM, so I can view it on my iRex (and attempt to convert it to mobi for my K2.) I need the file I end up with to be searchable.

Is there any reason why the scripts would not work on a LP PDF?
If you are planning on converting the travel guide PDF for your Kindle, forget it. All that will happen is that it will end up being a real mess.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #174
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The only way to be 100% sure the bits to that eBook are 100% gone is to overwrite all of them 9 times.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #175
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only way to be 100% sure the bits to that eBook are 100% gone is to overwrite all of them 9 times.
But only if you do it while standing on your head.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #176
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
But only if you do it while standing on your head.
... and with your finger up a cat's ass.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #177
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... and with your finger up a cat's ass.
Well, since I don't have a cat (allergic) I guess I am back to square one. I hope the CPL doesn't turn me in. Wait, it is Chicago! I will probably be elected to public office.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #178
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I don't have a cat either, but apparently a dog will work fine... as long as it's properly licensed. It's certainly not something you'd be allowed to do without the breeder's permission. Just think of what would happen if people started using pets for purposes other than what the breeder was financially compensated for. If people started sticking finger's up their pets asses willy nilly, society as we know it would come to an end... or at the very least get stuck behind!
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #179
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
I don't have a cat either, but apparently a dog will work fine... as long as it's properly licensed. It's certainly not something you'd be allowed to do without the breeder's permission. Just think of what would happen if people started using pets for purposes other than what the breeder was financially compensated for. If people started sticking finger's up their pets asses willy nilly, society as we know it would come to an end... or at the very least get stuck behind!
Hey, now my monitor is all yucky!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #180
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
And all the children would die of starvation 'cause who could eat with cat & dog poop all over their fingers.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote