Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-25-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
I smell toner ...

So has anyone noticed a particular odor about their Iliad? Mine has a strong sense of a 'toner' smell, like the smell when you replace the cartridge in your laserprinter or copier. I keep thinking it will go away but its been a few weeks now ...

Curious,
--Chuck
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Nope, I don't smell it. Could it be psychosomatic? I still smell photographic chemicals on ink jet prints.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
watcha
Not so junior!
watcha began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
I'd say mine is completely odorless too.
watcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Yep, recieved my V2 a few weeks ago and it smelled to high heaven. It's far less noticable now.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
P'raps it's a v2 thing? My v1 doesn't smell at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I had a smelly one. It smelled more like ... well ... doe. A bit flowery. I was wondering, where that came from. Probably some assembly guy used too much preparing for a date after work
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Plastics do give off volatiles for a while after they are molded. And toner is made of plastic, these days.

Just a thought....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
If I smell a laser printer or copier I will smell the fresh created ozone.
My new replaced screen doesn't smell. The iLiad v1 plastic case never did.
[OT]: The smell of smoker's books isn't a pleasure.

Last edited by yokos; 10-26-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: plasitc != plastic
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
MarkRPenn
Connoisseur
MarkRPenn began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
P'raps it's a v2 thing? My v1 doesn't smell at all.
My V2 is totally odorless

Mark
MarkRPenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Cronoknight
Cronoknight began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
mine smells too
Cronoknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Brise
Brise began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Yes my V1 iLiad has a odor.

Part of the problem was easy to solve. The M-Edge Executive Jacket I purchased has a strong chemical odor. After placing it in the sun for a few weeks to air it out, I gave up on the jacket. Wiping down the iLiad with alcohol wipes helped minimize odors that transferred from the jacket.

Then there is the iLiad itself. I believe most of the odor comes from the dark rubberized coating on the plastic shell.

Folks with chemical allergies are probably more likely to find the iLiad unpleasant to smell or handle. Chances are pretty good that the rubberized coating is both unstable and petroleum based.

Tiny bits of the coating is slowly wearing off the iLiad resulting in an exposed corner or random sparkles as the base plastic catches the light.

Frankly I'd like to grind the stuff off the plastic but don't want to make the case any thinner. Maybe someone will start milling some aftermarket shells for this thing so we can read without the odors.
Brise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #12
Boris
Enthusiast
Boris began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC, a broken Iliad V2
Nice coating, pity it's wearing off on the corners after only a month
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote