Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
KFHD - where are books stored that were wirelessly downloaded?

I have searched this forum and Googled it endlessly, but can't find the answer. I have just downloaded a book from Amazon via wireless, and it shows up fine in my Bookshelf via the default Amazon reading app (Kindle Reader?).

However, I prefer using Moon+ Reader, so I went looking for the book in all the folders (Books, Documents, Downloads, eBooks etc. - in fact I did a text search of the whole Kindle drive by linking up to my PC) and I can't find the book anywhere, even though it is obviously on the drive. Are books downloaded wirelessly given a coded name in some way, perhaps?

I would appreciate some help in locating where these downloads are stored.

PS - I know I can use Calibre to sideload the book after downloading it to my PC first, but I am just curious as to where the book has gone.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure where the books are stored on a Fire, but yes, Amazon uses a naming system that makes identifying the books by their file names impossible. Even when you find this book, you won't be able to open it in any reading app other than the Kindle app on your device. It won't work with Moon+ because it is either KF8 or mobi and Moon+ is for ePub files, plus it probably contains DRM.

If you want to modify or convert an Amazon book, install the Kindle app on your computer, download the book to the Kindle app on your computer, then you can use some magic to convert that copy.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not sure where the books are stored on a Fire, but yes, Amazon uses a naming system that makes identifying the books by their file names impossible. Even when you find this book, you won't be able to open it in any reading app other than the Kindle app on your device. It won't work with Moon+ because it is either KF8 or mobi and Moon+ is for ePub files, plus it probably contains DRM.

If you want to modify or convert an Amazon book, install the Kindle app on your computer, download the book to the Kindle app on your computer, then you can use some magic to convert that copy.
Thanks Jack, I suspected as much.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
On my Fire HD, the books are all located in /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books

Samples show up right there, and books are usually in their own folder (ASIN for a folder name).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
On my Fire HD, the books are all located in /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/Books

Samples show up right there, and books are usually in their own folder (ASIN for a folder name).
Same place as on the standard Android Kindle App, in that case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Same place as on the standard Android Kindle App, in that case.
Yep. Very similar (if not exactly the same).
It wasn't always that way on the FireHD, but somewhere along the line of firmware updates, it changed to what it is now. Before that, books were in the generic Documents and Books folders (personal documents are usually still delivered to the Documents folder, and some sideloaded stuff may be going to Books).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-23-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:

Yes, I did look in there after reading one of the threads on MR. I couldn't see anything recognisable, but now you mention the folder name being the ASIN, I can see that each folder must represent one of my transferred books. None of the folders match the ASIN for the book I was trying to find, but I don't care really, as I will have to side-load it anyway to be able to read in Moon+ Reader.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

At least they use a folder with the ASIN on the Fire. On the Kindle4PC/Mac they just use those horrible jibberish names like B000XUAD22_EBOK.azw. BTW, the best way I've seen to quickly find the book you want on your computer is to download it and/or open it in the K4PC/Mac app, then view the list of books sorting by Date and looking for the latest date.

For K4Mac, look for books in DRIVE/Documents/eBooks/My Kindle Content/.

I cannot remember where they are in K4PC, but I think it is in DRIVE/My Documents/eBooks/My Kindle Content/.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Those "horrible gibberish names" ARE the ASIN. K4PC stores its books in "My Documents\My Kindle Contents".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
On the Kindle4PC/Mac they just use those horrible jibberish names like B000XUAD22_EBOK.azw.
That one, for instance, would probably be All the Pope's Men: The Inside Story of How the Vatican Really Thinks by John L. Allen, Jr.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
That one, for instance, would probably be All the Pope's Men: The Inside Story of How the Vatican Really Thinks by John L. Allen, Jr.
Probably right, I didn't look to see but I do have that one. But it is gibberish if you are looking at a list of ASIN file names. Sure you can look up the ASIN, but that seems like more work. When I convert a book I always name the file the same as the title, though in the example of above I would certainly shorten it to All-the-Popes-Men.mobi.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Probably right, I didn't look to see but I do have that one. But it is gibberish if you are looking at a list of ASIN file names. Sure you can look up the ASIN, but that seems like more work. When I convert a book I always name the file the same as the title, though in the example of above I would certainly shorten it to All-the-Popes-Men.mobi.
For K4PC get Mobi handler and then you can sort the books by thumbnails and see their covers or you add author and title column to windows explorer and see what books they are that way or you can right click on and choose properties and there is a new tab with cover and book's metadata. It works for KF8 and Mobi but does not work on Topaz books.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-24-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got a Mac, so it probably won't run on my computer. (Besides, she abandoned that app long ago and doesn't even read Kindle books anymore.) I rarely look at the file list of books, and when I do it is to find the one I want to add to calibre to free it from bondage. So Finder (the Mac equivalent of Windows File Explorer) is what I use and looking at all those ASIN file names is useless. If they had titles for file names you could quickly find your book and add it to caliber, but not so much with ASIN file names. At least the latest file date works, but it is clunky to do that.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I've got a Mac, so it probably won't run on my computer. (Besides, she abandoned that app long ago and doesn't even read Kindle books anymore.) I rarely look at the file list of books, and when I do it is to find the one I want to add to calibre to free it from bondage. So Finder (the Mac equivalent of Windows File Explorer) is what I use and looking at all those ASIN file names is useless. If they had titles for file names you could quickly find your book and add it to caliber, but not so much with ASIN file names. At least the latest file date works, but it is clunky to do that.
It still works from the last version she did on any azw/mobi Kindle book in the Kindle Document folder. As you can see in the screenshot from my Kindle folder it really helps you know what the books are. The ones with the blue book icon are topaz files.

It's a Windows Add on though doesn't work on a Mac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindlepreview.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	118295  
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote