Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
chumbucket
chumbucket began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Looking for new PDF reader to replace my Sony PRS-505

Hi,
I've been using a Sony PRS-505 for a few years now and it's time to upgrade I believe. I primarily read text PDF's that I usually convert with Calibre. I am looking for something that weighs less than the 505, has the ability to use a dictionary to look up words from PDF's, and possibly a bigger screen although the 6 inch screen has served me well so far but a 7" inch screen would probably be ideal. Should I look for an older Sony Daily Edition or just get a new T1 to save dough? I don't really care about the wi-fi or 3G aspects really. I would go after the Kindle 3 with the new e-ink display but I don't really like the keyboard on the bottom. I sometimes wish I could get Kindle books but I guess I could always download them to my PC and rip the DRM offf no?
Any insight would be appreciated.
chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbucket View Post
Hi,
I would go after the Kindle 3 with the new e-ink display but I don't really like the keyboard on the bottom. I sometimes wish I could get Kindle books but I guess I could always download them to my PC and rip the DRM offf no?
Any insight would be appreciated.
Any reason you're not considering the new Kindle models without the keyboard?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
chumbucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yeah I did think about those but don't you have to send your PDF's to Amazon to get converted? I'd rather just do it all with Calibre? I'm leaning towards the Sony T1. For the amount of Amazon e-books that I want to buy, I can just strip off the DRM. The majority of my books are PDFs.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Calibre can convert to .mobi which the Kindles can read.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
chumbucket

I picked up a PRS T1 from Target thinking that I could always take it back if I don't like it. It seems to do exactly what I want it to do. Loaded up a PDF book that was converted to EPUB in Calibre and it formatted better than the 505. The font size control is much nicer than the S-M-L control on the 505. The dictionary function works perfectly. It seems to weigh half of what the 505 did. I think I'm going to keep it. Maybe there is a cheaper place to buy it from though? I wish I would have got it when it was on sale for $90 at Christmas time.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
If you paid $129.99 then that's the cheapest price you're going to pay right now without catching it on sale. I'm glad you like it. It's a very nice reader.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, it wasn't $90 at Christmas. It was $100.

Last edited by Shopaholic; 01-10-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot something....
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As I understand it, the T1 supports pdf natively better than the Kindles, particularly the K5(?). I'm not sure the Kindle re-flows and the K5 lacks landscape mode with all file formats. If I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me.

Of course you can convert to another format. That can be a complex affair with varying results, depending on the complexity of the pdf.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
As I understand it, the T1 supports pdf natively better than the Kindles, particularly the K5(?). I'm not sure the Kindle re-flows and the K5 lacks landscape mode with all file formats. If I'm wrong about that, feel free to correct me.
This is true, but if I read the OP's post correctly, he's not actually reading PDFs; he's converting them to another more "reader-friendly" format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
If you want to read PDFs, IMHO forget the T1, absolutely. When you reflow text PDFs on the T1, page turns are excruciatingly slow. The 950 has no such issue, so if reading text PDFs is important, I would recommend shelling out for a 950. Now even the 950 is not capable of miracles, and if the PDF in question has many diagrams it will not reflow well.
You can always buy Kindle books, strip the DRM, and convert to ePub; this is what I do, actually, to pretty good effect.
IMHO stay away from converting from PDF to mobi/ePub; the results vary widely. It's best to get a reader that natively supports PDF well, and the 950 is simply the best.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
If you paid $129.99 then that's the cheapest price you're going to pay right now without catching it on sale. I'm glad you like it. It's a very nice reader.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, it wasn't $90 at Christmas. It was $100.
$99 actually.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
$99 actually.

LOL oh come on! You're going to piddle over a penny?? $99.99. Close enough to $100 as far as I'm concerned and $0.98 closer to $100 than it is to $99.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Abt sells white T-1 at $74.40

Abt sells white T-1 at $74.40 now.
http://www.abt.com/product/56351/Sony-PRST1WC.html
But it is back-ordered, so I am not sure how it works now but it may worth trying this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t1-abt.png
Views:	146
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	81096  

Last edited by soilwork; 01-11-2012 at 06:32 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
LOL oh come on! You're going to piddle over a penny?? $99.99. Close enough to $100 as far as I'm concerned and $0.98 closer to $100 than it is to $99.
Actually, I totally forgot about the .99. So I was going down by a dollar. Oh well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, I totally forgot about the .99. So I was going down by a dollar. Oh well.
LOL no biggie, I was just bugging you since you seemed to be nitpicking for a penny.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
chumbucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
If you want to read PDFs, IMHO forget the T1, absolutely. When you reflow text PDFs on the T1, page turns are excruciatingly slow. The 950 has no such issue, so if reading text PDFs is important, I would recommend shelling out for a 950. Now even the 950 is not capable of miracles, and if the PDF in question has many diagrams it will not reflow well.
You can always buy Kindle books, strip the DRM, and convert to ePub; this is what I do, actually, to pretty good effect.
IMHO stay away from converting from PDF to mobi/ePub; the results vary widely. It's best to get a reader that natively supports PDF well, and the 950 is simply the best.
So far, I've tried out four different books reformatted to epub in Calibre and they seem to flow really well. I'm sure there will be problem books but like I said the option to change the font size gives me more viewing options then I had with my 505 and improves some of those formatting issues.
I would like the bigger display of the 950 but they're pretty expensive on ebay. I'm thinking that they're probably about as heavy as my 505 was too. I'm digging how light the T-1 is.