Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur
DeathtoToasters began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad, Sony 505
What do you do with....

the books that have the spine cut off after you scan them in?

I just ordered my Fujitsu SnapScan scanner and am going to cut up several books to have them scanned in.

The question now is what to do with the books after I cut off the spines and scan them in.

Any input would be great!

BTW I am only doing new mass market books, not any hard to find or rare books
DeathtoToasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I haven't done this yet, but I keep thinking about it. I've heard some people put a rubber band or a twine loop around them and box them. I think I'd at least keep the front cover (as a "proof of purchase") just in case.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

I am planning on getting this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=023

which should solve any worries about clean cuts for the scanner.

In the end, it should pay for itself, stopping any worries about staples or kinkos ruining the pages while cutting them.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You read my mind! I very nearly posted to ask you how you were planning to cut off the spines. Could you let us know how well this works for you?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
You read my mind! I very nearly posted to ask you how you were planning to cut off the spines. Could you let us know how well this works for you?
will do!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Well I decided to skip purchasing that unit.

The only reason being that my local Kinko's has a industrial size paper cutter and cut 7 books for about $1.49 a cut!

They came out perfect!

I need to remove the hard covers from the books, but that took all of 5 min with my leatherman right there in the store!

I just received my Fujitsu SnapScan Scanner for the mac and willll be scanning in the books today. I will let you know how it goes!

The way things should work, I should be able to scan in all 7 books in about an hour or less! That is with creating pdf's. The OCR should take alot longer...but I can let that run all night.

I will let you know!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Seven books in one cut! Wow, sounds like a fairytale! I'll have to check my local copy store.

Does the scansnap do two-sided scanning? My scanner only does one side at a time, so I've been delaying actually chopping up a book to try feeding through it.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Seven books in one cut! Wow, sounds like a fairytale! I'll have to check my local copy store.

Does the scansnap do two-sided scanning? My scanner only does one side at a time, so I've been delaying actually chopping up a book to try feeding through it.
Ok, here is how productive my day was so far!

I had 7 books chopped at Kinko's.

Total of about $6 for all books being cut. It cut them perfectly.

I loaded about 40 pages (the fujitsu snapscan can handle 50 into the adf, but why push it!) into the adf and pushed the button on the scanner.

It scanned all 40 pages within 30 seconds, DOUBLE SIDED! (It doesn't do the old fashion way of flipping the pages, it actually has the scanner part on the lid and the base so that it scans them both at the same time!)

The software it comes with (at least for the mac version) is the Fujitsu Driver CD, a FULL version of Adobe Acrobat 8, and Abby Fine Reader Full Version for Mac.

Once it scanned the pages in, it asked me if I wanted to save as images, email, pdf, etc.

I chose PDF and it started OCR'ing the pages which took about 5-7 min's for 40 pages of B&W text. Then it saves it.

I labeled each file book1.pdf, book2.pdf, book3.pdf, etc. Once it was all scanned, saved, and ocr'd, I used the full version of acrobat to combine the files, and that was all!

Easy as pie! I did 3 books, each which was an of average of 300-400 pages each!

This is a great way to do things!

I still have my PlusTek Opticbook 3600 for the books I don't want to cut up.

I cannot see any easier way to do this.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Ooooooh! I'm getting really interested in doing this!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
I am planning on getting this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=023

which should solve any worries about clean cuts for the scanner.

In the end, it should pay for itself, stopping any worries about staples or kinkos ruining the pages while cutting them.
Got one myself just before Christmas. Works very well. Had one book (paperback) that was too thick - about 1100 pages, that I broke into two halves in order to cut. My only complaint is the bar that slides back & forth to allow you to gauge the width of the cut. The thumb screw causes it to twist slightly (not unacceptably) but I think I can make a "shim" to use with it that will correct the problem.

My current storage is using a rubber band to keep the pages together until I'm sure I won't need to rescan.

I also use the scansnap and am very pleased with it. I purchased a SW that converts PDF to RTF and then edit with MS Word. That is faster and as accurate as using my ABBYY FinReader OCR SW.

Good luck on your venture.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
DeathtoToasters, you are my HERO!! Your Kinkos tip solves THE problem I was having with book scanning.
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Got one myself just before Christmas. Works very well. Had one book (paperback) that was too thick - about 1100 pages, that I broke into two halves in order to cut. My only complaint is the bar that slides back & forth to allow you to gauge the width of the cut. The thumb screw causes it to twist slightly (not unacceptably) but I think I can make a "shim" to use with it that will correct the problem.

My current storage is using a rubber band to keep the pages together until I'm sure I won't need to rescan.

I also use the scansnap and am very pleased with it. I purchased a SW that converts PDF to RTF and then edit with MS Word. That is faster and as accurate as using my ABBYY FinReader OCR SW.

Good luck on your venture.
Glad to hear the item is good. It may become something I will wnat ot do in the future.

I have rubberbands around mine also. I am just going to stick them in a storage box until I make sure I am not going to need them again.

Thanks for that tip about the SW conversion....sounds like a good idea. Are you on a PC or Mac?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I don't know what Slayda is using, but when I want to convert scanned PDFs to another format on my Mac, I use IRIS OCR. It works quite well. I think I paid about US$80 for it. (I might have gotten an academic discount-- appropriate, since I usually use it for journal articles for graduate classes.)
Old 01-04-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't know what Slayda is using, but when I want to convert scanned PDFs to another format on my Mac, I use IRIS OCR. It works quite well. I think I paid about US$80 for it. (I might have gotten an academic discount-- appropriate, since I usually use it for journal articles for graduate classes.)
Well the reason I might want to convert them to something else quickly, is because after I scan in a book, I try to convert them to mobipocket format.

Well at the top of each page is the title and author of the book. Well when mobipocket creator converts the books, it puts those title and author lines in the middle of the pages, screwing up the rhythm of the book.

So I would like to remove them.

Hope that makes sense!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
DeathtoToasters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauretteBradley View Post
DeathtoToasters, you are my HERO!! Your Kinkos tip solves THE problem I was having with book scanning.

Make sure you call first!! Only the largest kinkos (1 out of 3) in my area had the cutter.

Make sure you ask if they have the industrial cutter.