Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
wyldmint
wyldmint began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader Touch Edition
Calibre can't transfer .acsm files?

My sony reader library is hanging on me big time..while trying to get that resolved, I tried to used caliber to transfer 2 borrowed e-books (.acsm files) to device but I got an error message to convert to suitable format, and then to another message on no suitable format to be found.

Can I check if I can get caliber to transfer the acsm files, and if possible, how to?
wyldmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
.acsm files are NOT ebooks. acsm files are the adobe content licensing/management files that allow you to download the actual books (which are then typically either pdf or epub). You need to open the acsm files in Adobe Digital Editions (you said borrowed, so I assume library books?) to download the actual books (.epub).
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
wyldmint

I tried that too, but Adobe Digital Edition cannot open the 2 acsm files which I downloaded - I went to library - add items - and went to the folder where my downloaded files are. However the files are "greyed out" Cant drag and drop too.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldmint View Post
I tried that too, but Adobe Digital Edition cannot open the 2 acsm files which I downloaded - I went to library - add items - and went to the folder where my downloaded files are. However the files are "greyed out" Cant drag and drop too.
acsm files /borrowing books is not a function of calibre, this might be answered better in the Sony forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I've actually never tried to open the acsm files the way you describe. Usually I just double click on them or open them into ADE when downloading them from the library. Your library uses the overdrive system? I'm going to assume yes, as that is most common. If so it should behave basically like mine. So, go back to your library ebook site where you "checked out" the books. Go to your account page to the "My Checked Out Items". For each book, click the download button again. It should prompt/ask whether you want to save the file or Open it with ADE. Choose Open with ADE. ADE should launch and attempt to download the real book. Then you should see the epub files in your "My Digital Editions" folder.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
wyldmint

I have been trying all afternoon; i think what is happening is that whenever I click the file after it was downloaded, it automatically gets Sony Reader Library to open up, and with my problem with the Sony Reader it is not helping.

Anyway i agree that it's not a caliber problem. So hopefully my other post in the Sony reader thread (on the sony reader library) gets some reply.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldmint View Post
I have been trying all afternoon; i think what is happening is that whenever I click the file after it was downloaded, it automatically gets Sony Reader Library to open up, and with my problem with the Sony Reader it is not helping.

Anyway i agree that it's not a caliber problem. So hopefully my other post in the Sony reader thread (on the sony reader library) gets some reply.

Thanks for the replies!
Do you have Adobe Digital editions installed?
If yes, Sony may have hijacked the .ascm extension. Open Windows explorer, right-click any .ascm file that you have downloaded, and change the default open with: program to ADE (should show on the list)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
wyldmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you have Adobe Digital editions installed?
If yes, Sony may have hijacked the .ascm extension. Open Windows explorer, right-click any .ascm file that you have downloaded, and change the default open with: program to ADE (should show on the list)
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried your method (albeit with a Mac), but then by default somehow it still tried to be opened by Sony Reader Library . I gave up finally and trashed/uninstalled the Sony Reader Library. Now opening up the .acsm file by manually choosing the "open with" command since ADE is the default program now. More hassle, but better than tearing my hairs out with the Reader Library.