Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #31
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i find reading on a 6" screen to be easy and comfortable.
Yep, it's nice and portable. And really screen size doesn't matter for the reading experience for novels that are just text. Unless you're one of those types into typesetting etc., text is text.

Screen size matters for things with pictures, maps, charts, tables, figures etc. that can't be reflowed like text etc.--but for leisure reading of novels, a 5" or 6" screen is great as it keeps the devices small and portable.

I do want an A4 sized screen device with stylus support for note taking and highlight for work though.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #32
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak has both 5 inch and 6 inch devices.

Dear All:

Astak has both a 6 inch EZ Reader Basic and a 5 inch Pocket PRO. In effect, 5 inch devices are great to read upon as you have the same number of pixels as a 6 inch, squeezed down. The end result is a very high resolution screen that reads easily.

Also, on most devices on the market you can read in a "horizontal" mode. A recent firmware upgrade for the Pocket PRO gave it 9 font sizes and added a visible clock so reading on smaller devices (either Astak or other brands) is really not a problem. There is no doubt that the size of the 5 inch device and the weight (under 6 ounces on the Pocket PRO) makes it ideal to carry. It tucks into the vest pocket of a sports coat or a lady's clutch purse! And... using the SD card slot on the Pocket PRO as an example, you can carry 8,000 eBooks and your music all in your purse or pocket.

All of these things make a 5 or 6 inch device of any brand ideal for reading!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #33
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
And really [...] size doesn't matter
But then how will you let people know that you're happy to see them?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #34
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I do want an A4 sized screen device with stylus support for note taking and highlight for work though.
I guess a 8'' display would be a good compromise between mobility and readability for me. Usable for work and not too big for reading novels.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Ideally, I'd have a 7" screen for novels and such and a A4 sized screen for work stuff. Having a small reader is very convenient. It fits well in my handbag and is light enough to read comfortably with one hand for hours. When there is a large-format reader or tablet that has everything I want, I'll get it. But I won't be getting rid of the smaller one any time soon.
Then Sony has the Reader for you. The 900 is a nice size screen at 7.1 inches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #36
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
I guess a 8'' display would be a good compromise between mobility and readability for me. Usable for work and not too big for reading novels.
I don't care about portablity for work reading. That would mostly be done in the office or at home anyway.

And I'm fine having separate devices for work reading and leisure reading. Though, as I've stated ad nauseum, I'd prefer a A4 sized tablet device vs. a dedicated reader for the work stuff so I could also use it as my PDA, check e-mail, surf the net etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #37
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Same here. Not many devices with that screen size though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #38
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

{... And another free ad for a certain brand of reader ensues ... }
Really, Robert -- between this working in a plug for your reader on the attempted terror thread (very bad taste in my humble opinion) -- did you not make your quota for this year or just trying to pick up some after Christmas sales?

Sorry to sound snarky but I really wish the administrators of this forum would not allow eReader reps to spam this forum -- there is a forum for your particular device so people know how to find you if they are so inclined...
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #39
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
Really, Robert -- between this working in a plug for your reader on the attempted terror thread (very bad taste in my humble opinion) -- did you not make your quota for this year or just trying to pick up some after Christmas sales?

Sorry to sound snarky but I really wish the administrators of this forum would not allow eReader reps to spam this forum -- there is a forum for your particular device so people know how to find you if they are so inclined...
I respectfully disagree, and I have absolutely no association with Aztak, and I do not have one of their readers. I think Robert's post is just about OK because he is clearly not trying to hide his involvement with Aztak, and that he is essentially plugging their reader. There is enough useful info in his post to make it more than just a straight advert. I wish more suppliers would engage with their customers on forums like this.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post

Agreed.

It's one thing to join in the conversation, provide support, etc. but it a different thing to take pot-shots at other devices or to blatantly push the product as Robert seems to be doing the last few days.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #41
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well I think there is a fine line there. But remember that he is walking a tightrope. You might have a bit of compassion if he "wobbles" over the edge a bit now and then.
Personally I'm glad to see that he's here on MR. I wish we had someone from Ectaco Jetbook doing the same for us Jetbook fans.

If he's stepped too far over that line, well I for one have not seen it.

I do know that it is very easy to "promote" what we use ourselves. And if your job/Salary could be effected by that. Well, how many of us would be able to resist that temptation?

As shellshock said, he's not hiding who or what he is, or what his involvement is.
Its all right there in front of you, your choice to believe as much or as little as you choose.

Also, he did not say "All of these things make a 5 or 6 inch Aztak ideal for reading!"
No, what he said was "All of these things make a 5 or 6 inch device of any brand ideal for reading!" Emphasis on "Any brand" so in my not so humble opinion, he did not stray over that line. Yes he put in a plug for Aztak, same as I would have put in a plug for Jetbook.

Or you would have put in a plug for your fav reader.

Last edited by GhostHawk; 12-31-2009 at 08:32 AM.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 AM   #42
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
...Yes he put in a plug for Aztak, same as I would have put in a plug for Jetbook.

That is completely different. He is being paid to do it a fan isn't.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #43
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can some post their kindle with various text sizes? And a shot with margins and no margins? thanks
exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
Can some post their kindle with various text sizes? And a shot with margins and no margins? thanks
You can see the various font sizes here. We do not have margin control.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #45
exo
exo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I take it that there are 5 different sizes for the kindle 2? and 6 for the DX?
exo is offline   Reply With Quote