Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Locus Best SF/F Books of the 20th, 21st Century

yeah another list/poll, this one from Locus in the SF/F categories:

http://www.locusmag.com/2012/AllCent...lsResults.html

20th Century SF Novel:
Rank Author : Title (Year) Points Votes
1 Herbert, Frank : Dune (1965) 3930 256
2 Card, Orson Scott : Ender's Game (1985) 2235 154
3 Asimov, Isaac : The Foundation Trilogy (1953) 2054 143
4 Simmons, Dan : Hyperion (1989) 1836 131
5 Le Guin, Ursula K. : The Left Hand of Darkness (1969) 1750 120
6 Adams, Douglas : The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979) 1631 113
7 Orwell, George : Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949) 1493 105
8 Gibson, William : Neuromancer (1984) 1384 100
9 Bester, Alfred : The Stars My Destination (1957) 1311 91
10 Bradbury, Ray : Fahrenheit 451 (1953) 1275 91

Rest of list and others (fantasy, 21st century) at:
http://www.locusmag.com/2012/AllCent...lsResults.html

Last edited by kennyc; 12-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Dune has quite a big winning margin, there. No real surprises, though. Except maybe the absence of Heinlein from the top 10.

For my money, The Dispossessed is about fifty times better than Left Hand of Darkness, but there's no accounting for taste.

Nice that I've read all ten of those, at least.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Ha, I've read all but the Alfred Bester one. I feel good
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
They look all pretty old. Seems like they could have composed the same list already 20 years ago. I am not an expert of SF/F literature at all (quite the contrary) but has there really not been written one single book of relevance/quality in the last years?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
That's the best SF novels of the twentieth century. They ran a separate poll for the 21st, which was topped by John Scalzi's Old Man's War (which really didn't do it for me). Follow the link for the other polls.

I see Tolkien's inevitable win in 20th C fantasy was even more convincing than Herbert's.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
That's the best SF novels of the twentieth century. They ran a separate poll for the 21st, which was topped by John Scalzi's Old Man's War (which really didn't do it for me). Follow the link for the other polls.

I see Tolkien's inevitable win in 20th C fantasy was even more convincing than Herbert's.
Yes they are all at the link. That's why I provided it. I only put the top 10 of the first list in my O.P.

Edited the o.p. to reflect mo' better.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
They look all pretty old. Seems like they could have composed the same list already 20 years ago. I am not an expert of SF/F literature at all (quite the contrary) but has there really not been written one single book of relevance/quality in the last years?
Perhaps it's simply that it takes time for a book to be recognised as a "classic"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps it's simply that it takes time for a book to be recognised as a "classic"?
No....no.....not that again!

I'm a big fan of "Faith" by John Love but I'm sure many would dispute it being a classic since it just came out this year. Heck I would even dispute it I think, but I thought it had the 'feel' of a classic SF novel.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-27-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, perhaps, or better, most probably. And like DrNefario pointed out that there was a separate list for 2000+.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Ha, I've read all but the Alfred Bester one. I feel good
You should.
It is excellent and ranked quite a bit lower than it deserves. It has been considered by many in the field to be *the* best of the 20th. (Primary alternate to DUNE, in fact.)
I have to wonder if all the voters read all the books in the list.

And yes; I am surprised not see Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress/Starship Troopers/Orphans of the Sky) or, for that matter Clarke (Childhood's end). Niven and Pournelle's Mote in God's eye also belongs on that list.
I would've bumped Bradbury and Orwell, and possibly Foundation (it's not really a novel or even a Trilogy but rather a series of shorter stories).

As for the recent titles, well, it takes time for even the best novels to build a reputation worthy of Century honors and with barely a decade to choose from for the list for the 21st...

Also, these days in SF a lot of quality to choose from so standing out as head and shoulders above the rest is getting harder.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Just another bad poll driven list. Those things are never good, this isn't bad at least.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Thanks kennyc, "best of" lists are always interesting. I usually find a few titles to add to my reading list.

In the full list, I noticed that "The City & the City" by China Miéville and "The Book of the New Sun" by Gene Wolfe have an identity crisis. The books appear on both lists: Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Genre is in the mind of the reader ...

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Thanks kennyc, "best of" lists are always interesting. I usually find a few titles to add to my reading list.

In the full list, I noticed that "The City & the City" by China Miéville and "The Book of the New Sun" by Gene Wolfe have an identity crisis. The books appear on both lists: Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Genre is in the mind of the reader ...

Marty
It's all slipstream.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've read all of them, and there's not one that I would put in my personal top 5. 1984 and Neuromancer might just break the top 10, but only because of their influence on the genre, not because they're great writing.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
The top book on for the 21st century is Scalzi's Old Man's War. *sigh* I just did not enjoy that book as much as everyone else. Maybe it's just Scalzi's writing style that I don't like, but I found the book fairly dull.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote