Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #31
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
A review of the Pandigital Novel (the base hardware for PocketBook IQ) said that the internal SD card was easily replaceable. It also said that if there was an external SD card inserted at power-up, then the internal SD card was not usable. The first Pandigital Novel had a 1GB internal SD card

An earlier post said that PocketBook software was on the internal SD card. And if I remember correctly, the PocketBook IQ has a 2GB internal SD card.

1) Correct so far?

2) Can we replace the internal SD card with a larger one if we copy the PocketBook software?

3) As Android versions come out, will the PocketBook IQs in the field be able to get the newer OS (perhaps with a time lag for the developers to customize)?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #32
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
Q: As Android releases appear, will the PocketBook IQ keep up, or, is Android 2.0 as far as it will go?

Q: Is there a way to add 3G, or, connect via 3G in some fashion?
1) Yes
2) Yes
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #33
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
1) Yes
LOL!

Is it Yes to the part of the sentence that says that it will keep up - upgrade to newer versions as they come out? (the IQ has 2.0. The 2.2 was released in may 2010, the 2.3 will be released very shortly and 3.0 is planned for 2011)
or ...
is it Yest to the part of the statement that says that it will stay as it is?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #34
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
LOL!

Is it Yes to the part of the sentence that says that it will keep up - upgrade to newer versions as they come out? (the IQ has 2.0. The 2.2 was released in may 2010, the 2.3 will be released very shortly and 3.0 is planned for 2011)
or ...
is it Yest to the part of the statement that says that it will stay as it is?
Oh, we will upgrade. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #35
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I guess my lone remaining concern is the speed it will handle PDFs with. I'd be getting it to read large(ish) pdf files (10MB or so scanned/ocr-ed books) and to read djvu files.

I know that even with some of the positive reviews of its cousins the PDN and Cruz reader that there's been mention of the machines moving very slowly or locking up with large PDF files.

Maybe there will be a demo video from the company or the first people to get them will post video reviews.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #36
ufoDziner
ufoDziner began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
Can you elaborate on this please? I didn't see where it said that the unit had 3G built in. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
1) Yes
2) Yes
ufoDziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #37
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoDziner View Post
Can you elaborate on this please? I didn't see where it said that the unit had 3G built in. Thanks
I didn't say the unit has 3G build in. Tip: Get an UMTS stick and one of those mobile WiFi-routers.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #38
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

"I didn't say the unit has 3G build in. Tip: Get an UMTS stick and one of those mobile WiFi-routers. "

OK, But imagine if I could plug in the 3G dongle (UMTS Stick) directly! Then I could be away from a power source.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i have been collecting the android reading apps and a few others myself. i havent placed them on my site for download yet because i want to make sure they work on the IQ before I do.
Is Spare parts one of them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasSIA7sexM
Not sure the IQ would need it...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #40
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i do have spare parts. its from earlier in the year but i dont think that matters. its aversion compatible with 1.6 or later if i recall.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #41
asjogren
Addict

Do you think that the AppBrain web installer would work on the PocketBook IQ? It seems to get around some of the filtering restrictions of the Android Market.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #42
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Okay; when they said the IQ supported the Pocketbook software platform, they meant it.
http://www.pocketbook-usa.com/support/pocketbook-iq/
Same games/apps; same (proprietary) dictionaries--in addition to the Lingvo ones.

Basically, it's an LCD-based 302/603...
...that also runs Android apps and video on the side. A air trade for he reduced battery life.
(The odds of FBReader180 and Hacked ADE running on it just went way up. And so did the odds of me buying it.)

Now the only question is whether I'll wait for the Android 2.2 update or trust that it'll show up sometime before 2012.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #43
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
And this IQ is already available to purchase in the US? How do you think it compares to the Pandigital Novel as far as customization is concerned? Such as being able to install and customized Android on it.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #44
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
And this IQ is already available to purchase in the US?
A bunch of places is here, but if I were you I would get if from either pocketbooks USA, or Dulin's books, as these guys contribute very helpfully and often to this forum, as many other PB people, soyou get that extra support
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #45
asjogren
Addict

I ordered one specifically because of:
1) the PocketBook software
2) the support here at MobileRead
3) it is NOT locked down so I get to add a few apps to extend the usefulness