Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
It raises an interesting issue, doesn't it? The reason it's cheap and available in Kobo Canada is because it's in the public domain. Someone with no rights to it has packaged it and slapped a price on it.
But if it's in the public domain, then they are within their rights to do that.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #17
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The, it's the other way around. They are in the US public domain; they are not in the "Life+70" public domain. It would, therefore, be illegal for the original poster, who is in Germany, to download them.
Illegal to download them? The German downloader is not publishing the book, the Canadian server is.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:49 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Illegal to download them? The German downloader is not publishing the book, the Canadian server is.
Unfortunately it's still a copyright violation for someone in Germany to download a book that's not in the public domain in Germany, even if it's legally held on a server in Canada. That's why PG Canada tells you to check that the book is in the public domain in your country before you download it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #19
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
So would it be illegal for me to buy a physical version from, let's say, Amazon Canada, and have it shipped to a country in which it isn't in the public domain?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately it's still a copyright violation for someone in Germany to download a book that's not in the public domain in Germany, even if it's legally held on a server in Canada. That's why PG Canada tells you to check that the book is in the public domain in your country before you download it.
The issue is that the received morality at MR seems to be that it's fine to use a VPN if necessary, with Kobo it's not, to shop in other countries, but it's wrong to download books that are in the public domain in other countries but not in one's own.

In this case, the books are for sale, entirely legally, in Canada. But they're only for sale since someone who has no rights to the books in countries where they're still under copyright has OCRed them and uploaded them to Kobo. It makes no sense that it would be wrong to download them from Gutenberg CA (and only one is available) but somehow it's ok to buy them from Kobo CA, when, again, they're only available at Kobo CA because they're in the public domain in Canada.

The hairsplitting that says that copyright violations are wrong but license violations are fine has never made any sense to me, but I acknowledge that seems to be the thinking here. License devolves entirely on copyright.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #21
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Whether or not it is legal to download it from Germany or any other country, is something that depends on the local laws. As far as I know, in Spain it wouldn't be illegal, although the books are copyrighted there too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In this case, the books are for sale, entirely legally, in Canada. But they're only for sale since someone who has no rights to the books in countries where they're still under copyright has OCRed them and uploaded them to Kobo. It makes no sense that it would be wrong to download them from Gutenberg CA (and only one is available) but somehow it's ok to buy them from Kobo CA, when, again, they're only available at Kobo CA because they're in the public domain in Canada.
Both of these activities would be a violation of copyright. The books are in sale in Canada only because, as you say, they are in the Canadian public domain.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Whether or not it is legal to download it from Germany or any other country, is something that depends on the local laws. As far as I know, in Spain it wouldn't be illegal, although the books are copyrighted there too.
In Spain it is, I believe, legal to download copyrighted material for personal use. In Germany, as in the UK, it is not.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #24
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
If the OP is still looking for the books, they are available in the US from Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/litt...=2940149851928

That goes to the first book in the series, but I was able to buy them all.

Shari

Edit: Oops--I just noticed that the OP is in Germany. Sorry...I don't think you can buy from Barnes and Noble if you're in Germany.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 AM   #25
Lady_3Jane
total greenhorn
Lady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it is

Device: PRS 505; Galaxy Tab; PRS 350; Kobo Glo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
If the OP is still looking for the books, they are available in the US from Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/litt...=2940149851928

Shari

Edit: Oops--I just noticed that the OP is in Germany. Sorry...I don't think you can buy from Barnes and Noble if you're in Germany.
Thanks a lot!
Contrary to Amazon they do at least show a price. I'll give it a try.

I really do believe it is absolutely ridiculous that a commercial vendor like Amazon is asking money for a PG book and then REFUSES a willing buyer to actually sell it to her!
Guys, that's why people are forced into the black market even though they are WILLING to legally spend money. Can this go crazier still?

Anyway, I'll try barnes and noble with the help of a Toronto-based friend.

Toodeloo,
3Jane
Lady_3Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #26
Lady_3Jane
total greenhorn
Lady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it isLady_3Jane knows what time it is

I can't. They won't let me, even though I have a FLA dwelling.
Ah, the woes of ebook reading...

too bad Sony closed its store.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Anyone know if these are indeed legit editions? They look kind of shady and looking at the publisher they appear to mainly, if not solely, do public domain stuff which of course these aren't in the US.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:51 AM   #28
Lady_3Jane
total greenhorn

conclusio...

In the end this means, that when I visit CDN or the US next time and I happen to buy a physical book there from that series, then

I am required to hand it back at the airport before I leave that country.

This is so nuts that I cannot even laugh.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:04 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_3Jane View Post
In the end this means, that when I visit CDN or the US next time and I happen to buy a physical book there from that series, then

I am required to hand it back at the airport before I leave that country.

This is so nuts that I cannot even laugh.
No, that's not correct. It's legal for you to buy or download it there, and to take it home with you. But it's not legal to buy or download it in a country where it's not in the public domain.