Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
TMSxMR
TMSxMR began at the beginning.

Device: Impression
Question Downloading TOC with metadata

Hi All

As a previous "alfa book manager" user, I used that it downloads TOC for some books, this very useful to find specific subjects, but strangely calibre plugins don't do that (except one plugin I don't remember which one, and only for limited variety of books, and unfortunately merges it with comments!)

So my question why is that? amazon and Google provides TOC for lot of the books, is there a reason for that? or maybe some solution I don't know about?
TMSxMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
B&N is the plugin that supports TOC downloading and yes it merges it into the comments.

As to the why - (1) there is no separate field for TOC in calibre, (2) it is not possible to download into a custom column from a metadata download plugin, and (3) I would suggest "most" users store fiction in their libraries, for which a TOC is irrelevant which is why it is not a "standard" field.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
TMSxMR

But as i see calibre is quite flexible to target only fiction geeks, I have about 10 thousand books which are all scientific, and I know lot of people that have the same, and the metadata is available, and TOC can be easy stored in custom column (as I do now, but by hand), so I believe it's not quite justified to ignore that, if there is no other reasons for that.

If I knew python, no doubt i would modify plugins to include that, because i believe it's nothing more that parsing additional filed in the XML metadata that you grabbing from the providers.

Last edited by TMSxMR; 07-07-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I said it is a current limitation in calibre that metadata plugins cannot download into custom columns. It isn't some grand conspiracy against non-fiction users, there are a number of ideas or things users would like to scrape using metadata download into a custom column. I only mentioned fiction as a reason why it is not a "standard" column.

There is a thread in the development forum which discusses this custom column download limitation, no-one has as yet picked up the ball to enhance calibre to allow it. I have no doubt it will happen "one day" but right now there is no-one actively working on it that I am aware of.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
TMSxMR

Quote:
that metadata plugins cannot download into custom columns
Oh i missed that...
I will try to write some smal program in .Net to overcome that, maybe i will solve it...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
kiwidude

Just to be clear, a program in .NET with enough work might get you around your particular problem allowing you to grab some TOC data but it won't really "solve" the bigger issue. Directly manipulating data in the calibre database as you would be doing from a .NET application is not exactly a supportable or recommended approach. Stuffing data into custom columns without using calibre's API to do so isn't something I would recommend doing but hey, its your database

The proper solution requires changes to calibre's plugin metadata merging logic and metadata download plugin api (which is all Python based), and then changes to the metadata download plugins to make use of the API changes.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
TMSxMR

Actually I'm already manipulating my database heavily, same like i was doing with MS Access DB used by Alfa eBook Manager, and as I did in my Thumbnail browser for calibre database and seems that it doing the job without any conflicts.
Anyway I agree that it will be better to use calibre itself, but I don't know Python and have no time to learn it, so to overcome issues for example I'm deleting books from DB by connecting to calibre through command line instead of manipulating DB and files directly, i think the same can be done with metadata because there is also a command line for that, actually the really big issue is to grab metadata and TOC from the providers or from PDF files directly (not speaking of DJVU).