Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Sync highlights between e-ink reader and Mac, with free e-books??

I'm looking for a way to sync highlights and bookmarks in DRM-free books, between an e-ink reader and a Mac app. The Mac app should have offline reading capability.

I gave up looking for this a couple years ago, because it didn't exist. Just thought I'd check back, in case there's something new on the market. I'd hoped the Kindle Cloud Reader would work, but it doesn't support Personal Documents, only books you buy from Amazon. So Kindle is out. Anything else out there?
sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You might look into eink devices that let you install Android apps on them, such as Onyx Book T68 and M98. Then you would have several choices of vendor to work with (Google Play Books, for one, which will work with desktop browsers and your uploaded books). Unfortunately the T68 appears to be out of stock at onyx-book.com as well as Amazon.

I bought the T68 when it first came out (via Amazon seller) but wound up returning it as it was defective. In between crashes, it was an interesting device.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindle Cloud Reader only runs in the browser. A better choice might be the Kindle for iOS app, which I am pretty sure does in fact support Personal Documents.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #4
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
I'm looking for a way to sync highlights and bookmarks in DRM-free books, between an e-ink reader and a Mac app. The Mac app should have offline reading capability.

I gave up looking for this a couple years ago, because it didn't exist. Just thought I'd check back, in case there's something new on the market. I'd hoped the Kindle Cloud Reader would work, but it doesn't support Personal Documents, only books you buy from Amazon. So Kindle is out. Anything else out there?
Unfortunately, there is, as of yet, nothing else. And I too find it incomprehensible that Amazon excludes PDs from their desktop apps...
The whole wreaking venture is just compromise. I bought a Kobo recently for rink reading because it shows entire highlighted passages instead of just first lines in the overview section...and I'm type-copying from there now or search for the parts in iBooks... (if Apple only made an eink reader... )

Last edited by johnnyb; 05-05-2015 at 05:02 AM.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigh. Once again, what is wrong with the Kindle mobile app for iOS??? It is not a desktop application, so it does support emailed Personal Documents.

FYI -- Amazon thinks they have good reason to exclude Kindle for Mac/PC, since presumably one could open the book file using standard OS-level Open With. They didn't factor in syncing position/highlights of course.
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sigh. Once again, what is wrong with the Kindle mobile app for iOS??? It is not a desktop application, so it does support emailed Personal Documents.

FYI -- Amazon thinks they have good reason to exclude Kindle for Mac/PC, since presumably one could open the book file using standard OS-level Open With. They didn't factor in syncing position/highlights of course.
Maybe because the OP is looking for an app for his Mac not his iOS device? Or are things changed now, and iOS apps can run on the full Mac OS?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I saw the word "app" in the OP and thought mobile devices, glossed over the "Mac" part.

Peope should get their terminology straightened out apparently this problem run rampant in the general populace.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I saw the word "app" in the OP and thought mobile devices, glossed over the "Mac" part.

Peope should get their terminology straightened out apparently this problem run rampant in the general populace.
Well, part of the problem is that both Apple and Microsoft now offer "appstores" for their desktop operating systems. Amazon also calls it the "Kindle Reading App" no matter what OS or device you are installing it on.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
sumguy
Connoisseur
sumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheesesumguy can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for the replies. tomsem, I tried Google Play Books before, but it doesn't work well for offline reading on the Mac. There's a Chrome app for that, but you lose access to your highlights & notes, and can't add new ones, when you're offline. Also it doesn't support search in uploaded books, and reading position sync (when you're online) is broken, and other annoyances. That was a couple of years ago though, I'll give it another try and see if it's improved.

johnnyb, you're right, if only Apple made an e-ink reader. iBooks works great for me, between my Mac and iPhone. Haven't been able to bring myself to buy an iPad though. I still use my Kindle for reading novels, but for my research work I need to sync notes to my Mac.

@eschwartz, Mac software is now officially known as "apps", purchased from the Mac "App Store". I resisted it at first too, but finally I gave in to the new world order :-)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

New world order, arghhhhh!

You can pry my ArchLinux out of my cold dead hands.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
sumguy
Connoisseur

Meh, I tried the Google Play Books Chrome app again, and it's still the same. You can't see or add highlights, notes, etc., while offline. And you still can't search in uploaded books, ever. Lame. Didn't bother to test reading position sync.

Well, the first company to offer highlight/notes sync in DRM-free books, between desktop, mobile, and e-ink reader, that's accessible while offline, wins my undying love - and my credit card number. Guess I won't hold my breath though. In the meantime I'll probably get a second-hand iPad mini... who knows, maybe it will grow on me.

Last edited by sumguy; 05-06-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Tags
e-ink, mac, sync