Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #46
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm saddened to hear that you place no value on a good book. For me personally, quality means a lot more than price, and that's why I buy books from mainstream publishers and am happy to pay the asking price.

Yes, of course you can download 40 free books in a month. There might even be one readable one amongst them. But personally I don't want to have to wade through the 39 that are total crap to find it.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #47
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
There are many very good cheap books (anything below $5 is cheap for me), but I have yet to see a very good free book unless it is public domain, free offering of a established writer, promotional first of a long series or - surprisingly enough - fanfiction.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #48
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh, I've seen it too. It's just not something to which I can relate.

At the price of a relatively forgettable (or slightly better) twelve-pack of beer (bottles), I find the enjoyment I get out of a novel (even an average one) to be quite the bargain--electronic OR physical. What it costs a publisher to "make" an ebook doesn't cross my mind. I simply can't think of any cheaper pasttime involving retail purchases that I would enjoy as much (or even equally).
Yet, if you were reviewing beer, the price is part of the process.

If you are drinking Budweiser (US), VB (Aus) or whatever is generic in Britain, you wouldn't expect to pay much for it.

If you were drinking what was advertised as a high quality, limited production, craft brewery produced product, then the price is a factor. If you paid 3 times the Bud price, and it tastes like Bud, you'll be really disappointed and ripped-off. If you paid the Bud price, you might be disappointed (to a lesser extent), but not necessarily ripped-off.

Price is usually taken to be an indication of quality, especially in marketplaces with a lot of commodity products, such as beer or books.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yea, that was really all the further down the beer analogy rabbit-hole I was interested in traveling. My point was that I find even "just OK" books to be a bargain at current retail prices. I'd probably pay a good-bit more for the enjoyment I get from reading them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Price is usually taken to be an indication of quality, especially in marketplaces with a lot of commodity products, such as beer or books.
Beer? Yes. Books? No. Not in my experience anyway. The price of newly-released books has always been the price of newly-released books (with slight increases for inflation). *shrug*

Sure, that may be changing now. But the availability of cheaper and even free ebooks doesn't make prices I've always been happy to pay suddenly outrageous.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-16-2015 at 06:42 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #50
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I'm with you. I borrow Sandford and King from the library. Most of the bestsellers come to the library. Backlists, which used to be cheaper, are now close to the price of a new publication (in some cases). Rather than pay $8, I ordered used paperbacks, at $4.

But there are exceptions. I bought Harper Lee's new book, in hardcover and ebook form, and I think the ebook was close to $17. But it is not like she will come out with another book next year.

The first go at Agency really changed how I look at ebooks. I used to not think twice about buying a $9.99 bestseller. But when they went to $16.99, I went to the library. There is no way I will be able to read all the books I have in my lifetime. So if it takes a couple months on the waiting list, that is okay.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #51
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm saddened to hear that you place no value on a good book. For me personally, quality means a lot more than price, and that's why I buy books from mainstream publishers and am happy to pay the asking price.

Yes, of course you can download 40 free books in a month. There might even be one readable one amongst them. But personally I don't want to have to wade through the 39 that are total crap to find it.
Conan50 didn't say he got the 40 free ebooks from big publishers. All 40 might be readable.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #52
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
I used to drive an hour and a half to Madison, Wisconsin to hit the used bookstores around the University of Wisconsin. I would spend several hours looking, and come out with $100 spent and a big bag of books. I read all the time, and soon I had a house full of books. I thought life was great. Then Amazon came along, and I could use the wish list and buy a couple of books at a time, and I stopped driving to Madison. And I had the books in a couple of days. Now, with ereaders, when I find a book I want to read, I can be reading in a couple of minutes. I use calibre, wishlists, goodreads, and other tools to keep track of what I want to read and find other books. I got rid of thousands of paper books. I read more than ever, and overall I am sure I am spending less than ever. No clutter, no waiting for the mail, no long car trips. I don't care if I spend $12.99 - I used to spend $25 for hardcovers all the time, or 12 or more for trade paper, now I average $8 and I think it's great.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #53
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyogi2 View Post
I used to drive an hour and a half to Madison, Wisconsin to hit the used bookstores around the University of Wisconsin. I would spend several hours looking, and come out with $100 spent and a big bag of books. I read all the time, and soon I had a house full of books. I thought life was great. Then Amazon came along, and I could use the wish list and buy a couple of books at a time, and I stopped driving to Madison. And I had the books in a couple of days. Now, with ereaders, when I find a book I want to read, I can be reading in a couple of minutes. I use calibre, wishlists, goodreads, and other tools to keep track of what I want to read and find other books. I got rid of thousands of paper books. I read more than ever, and overall I am sure I am spending less than ever. No clutter, no waiting for the mail, no long car trips. I don't care if I spend $12.99 - I used to spend $25 for hardcovers all the time, or 12 or more for trade paper, now I average $8 and I think it's great.
My experience is very similar. I've got rid of most of the books which were cluttering up my house, replacing them with ebooks which reside on the hard disk of a single computer (and on a backup disk, of course) and from time to time on various reading devices. I'm not sentimental about paper books. For me it has never been about the presentation, only the content. So for me, EBooks are ideal. And the price and sheer variety and availability are all headed in the right direction. Yes, we are still recovering from a hundred years or so of cartel operations, but competition has entered this industry like a breath of fresh air.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #54
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Yet, if you were reviewing beer, the price is part of the process.

If you are drinking Budweiser (US), VB (Aus) or whatever is generic in Britain, you wouldn't expect to pay much for it.

If you were drinking what was advertised as a high quality, limited production, craft brewery produced product, then the price is a factor. If you paid 3 times the Bud price, and it tastes like Bud, you'll be really disappointed and ripped-off. If you paid the Bud price, you might be disappointed (to a lesser extent), but not necessarily ripped-off.

I also don't drink generic beer either. For the most part, beer and books are not commodities. That's why there are micro breweries (in the US) charging more and why big named authors make big bucks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #55
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My book buying habits changed a lot because of vision issues. Before that though, I only bought paperbacks and used books. If it was a book I really wanted, I put my name in at the library for the hardcover. In the last 8 years, I mostly get audiobooks because they are easier to 'read' for me. So, I regularly pay $14.98 for a book (12 a year), although with whispersync specials, I can now get audios for $1.99-$2.99. Other family members read the ebook. It is sometimes hard to spend those credits, because I want to be sure I'm getting a good book, but so far there has only been on real loser.

For ebooks though, I can count on one hand the number I have spent over $6 for. With my large TBR and library availability, I'll still buy ebooks at higher prices, but it's going to be something I REALLY want.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote