Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #271
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 / OnePlus 5
Well, I could easily make things go well following Green Pirate techniques with Linux.

But I never could follow the other way and make the Calibre plugin work on a Linux installation.
As you say you did succeed in this way I shall try again and follow your suggestions.

Last edited by glin; 04-24-2015 at 12:05 PM.
glin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #272
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Calibre works fine on my Ubuntu netbook. Some of the "tools" need the associated Apps, and those Apps don't run on Linux, so you won't get full functionality, but I still find it convenient.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #273
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cromag Calibre works very well on Linux. I am not questioning that at all.
What I am speaking of is the deDRM Calibre plugin, which is a very specific question. Have a look at my former messages if necessary.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #274
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by glin View Post
Calibre works very well on Linux. I am not questioning that at all.
What I am speaking of is the deDRM Calibre plugin, which is a very specific question. Have a look at my former messages if necessary.
The Apprentice Alf plugin works just fine under Linux. Installation question need to be asked where you got the plugin.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #275
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The DeDRM plugin is OS-agnostic. However, it does require certain information to decode your books. Often that information -- and the books -- needs to come from programs that are only published for Windows/OSX!! In which case, you may need to play with WINE, and pray for success.

However, that does not mean the plugin doesn't work at all. In fact, several components, like the Kindle E-Ink decryption routines, do not depend on external programs at all, and work flawlessly.

Bottom line -- you may not have gotten your ebooks working with linux, but not because the plugin didn't work.

And many people have successfully gotten Adobe Digital Editions/Kindle for PC to work with WINE and the plugin.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #276
glin
Groupie

The information I had found on the now out of reach Green Pirate site may be viewed here

Though a bit less clear than on Green Pirate, it is quite understandable and usable under Linux and doesn't require any Calibre plugin.

A very very useful tutorial for Linux-and-Kobo users.

EDIT Note this and others recent posts of mine on this thread concern KOBO - not Kindle or any other reader - and books with Kepub format.

Last edited by glin; 05-06-2015 at 10:15 AM.