Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #31
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I find it unbelievable that teenagers have non-monosyllabic dialog.
You must have hated To Kill a Mockingbird. Scout was a notoriously polysyllabic pre-teen.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
You must have hated To Kill a Mockingbird. Scout was a notoriously polysyllabic pre-teen.
Key point: pre-teen.

Once they hit thirteen, words are replaced with moods and scowls.
(Sometimes earlier...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I find it unbelievable that teenagers have non-monosyllabic dialog.
Teenagers have been witnessed speaking words of two or even more syllables, I'll have you know!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #34
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Teenagers have been witnessed speaking words of two or even more syllables, I'll have you know!
But I suspect that in those cases if it they had been heard instead of witnessed, what was thought to be a second syllable was really just a belch .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #35
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
To witness something does not have to mean seeing it visually. I may have to check up on the belching though.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #36
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
To witness something does not have to mean seeing it visually...
Hey, I'm not a teenager so I can play around with words any way I want too .

But I am afraid to say that the Oxford English Dictionary adds in parentheses
(In loose writing often used merely as a synonym of ‘see’.) and I took the "loose writing" bit to include for your usage .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote