Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Anybody got a nook yet? How is it vs Kindle?

I searched "nook" and it seems as though nobody who ordered one has received it yet.

Be very interested to see how it stacks up. Looks good, but not enough better to change now. I may mosey down to B&N to see how it handles.

I checked a few newly released books on Amazon that were over $9.99, and about half of those were $9.99 and the rest around the same as Amazon. Looks like book prices will be a wash.

I'm still lumbering along on a K1 and perfectly happy. I see that the nook has both an SD slot and a replaceable battery, so that puts it ahead of a K2 in my estimation.

As far as I can tell, no folders.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Before posting, I should have called b&n. Just did, and they say they have demos, but don't expect stock to be in until late Feb or early March.

Just like the K1 when it first came out. Heh.
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I'd advise just to wait. There are people that got the Nook and one of the cheif complaints is that it is very slow. They are supposedly going to take care of it with a software update.

Remember that if you have quite a collection of books that are DRM'd that you will not be able to read them on the Nook unless you strip the DRM and then convert it to EPUB.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I see that the nook has both an SD slot and a replaceable battery, so that puts it ahead of a K2 in my estimation.
But not ahead of a K1.....

And no, it has no folders. Seriously, its just having some 'birthing' pains. I'm sure BN will recognize this and take care of things.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Both the nook and K2 are interesting devices with their own pros and cons.

But as of this moment, not taking into account the future, it is hard to say which is a better all around device than the other.

The nook is a serious competitor, and will be a more serious threat when/if a couple of good updates are pushed out.

Of course, the Kindle has a magnificent head-start, and while I don't think it is as far fetched as saying that Linux will dethrone Windows as the preferred OS of most of the world in the next decade... it can be said that a good head-start almost guarantees success in the long run.

My most solemn advice to you would be to wait for now, at least for a month to see if the major complaints about the nook are resolved, if not, join the cool crowd and get a Kindle!

~Fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I own a K2. Have owned a K1, KDX, and S505 in the past.

Went to B&N tonight and played with the nook.

In short, my K2 is even more valuable to me now. Physical keyboard. Low eBook prices. Fast operation.

The nook is miles behind the Kindle, IMO. Oh, and the "android" screen is distracting and annoying. Gimmick comes to mind. Nothing beats physical keys.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
B&N's Nook is irrelevant to me ... the brand does not exist in Canada. And despite a really awful review in the NY Times, hey, V1 of anything usually can stand improvement. "Android" is going to be very important in the cell phone and netbook space -- keep your eyes peeled in 2010. Morphing this over to a slick e-reader has tremendous potential.

So -- I adore the K2 I've been enjoying for a few weeks and am not in the market for anything new, including a Nook if they were sold in Canada. But, that's today. However, Kindle will be a moving target, too: so when the day comes, will it be Kindle 3 or Nook 2? Now there's the real question!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
there is a Nook forum here. you might give that a look
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 AM   #9
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
I've owned a Sony Reader, Kindle 1, and now Kindle 2. My advice, if you're curious about the Nook, read the various reviews, and go and play with one in a B&N store to decide for yourself.
IMO, the Kindle 2 is a far better reading device - absolutely no question. I was way more disappointed with the Nook than I ever though I could be. I thought it was a real mess.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I own a K2. Have owned a K1, KDX, and S505 in the past.

Went to B&N tonight and played with the nook.

In short, my K2 is even more valuable to me now. Physical keyboard. Low eBook prices. Fast operation.

The nook is miles behind the Kindle, IMO. Oh, and the "android" screen is distracting and annoying. Gimmick comes to mind. Nothing beats physical keys.
Thanks, cool, that saves me a trip to b&n. About what I thought, but just curious.

As I said in my OP, have no urge to leave my K1. Having had the old Rocket eBook, the Sony 505, and now the Kindle, I'm a long-time ebook reader, and anything new will have to be spectacular to get me to switch from the Kindle.

Hey, kindlekitten, is that a picture of you? I think I'm in love.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Thanks, cool, that saves me a trip to b&n. About what I thought, but just curious.

As I said in my OP, have no urge to leave my K1. Having had the old Rocket eBook, the Sony 505, and now the Kindle, I'm a long-time ebook reader, and anything new will have to be spectacular to get me to switch from the Kindle.

Hey, kindlekitten, is that a picture of you? I think I'm in love.
gawrsh! no, it is not. just getting into the spirit of the holidays and as a result of some silliness in the lounge which is where much of the avatar insanity comes from. my regularly scheduled skiing picture shall return post holiday and burn everyones eyes once again!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:41 AM   #12
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
I've owned a Sony Reader, Kindle 1, and now Kindle 2. My advice, if you're curious about the Nook, read the various reviews, and go and play with one in a B&N store to decide for yourself.
IMO, the Kindle 2 is a far better reading device - absolutely no question. I was way more disappointed with the Nook than I ever though I could be. I thought it was a real mess.
he mentions going to B&N in his post, but he was asking for other people's opinions....specifically the wise, interesting people on the kindle forum. he is also probably smart enough to read people's reviews without your suggesting it.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #13
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Was there a point to that snipe?
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
coming from the kindle 2, i must say that i am disappointed. but i dunno about most of you, but i like to hack EVERYTHING. so i got the nook because it runs on android. so yes, it does suck now. its slow, and flimsy menus and it just doesnt work right but im willing to wait because i know the potential. i say, if u want a device that works well out of the box, then get a kindle 2, if u are the type who likes the hack their gadgets, stick with ur nook...u wont be disappointed!
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
deryk
deryk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
I'd advise just to wait. ...

Remember that if you have quite a collection of books that are DRM'd that you will not be able to read them on the Nook unless you strip the DRM and then convert it to EPUB.
Ok, Im still in the deciding category, so there is a way to use amazon ebooks on the nook... how do you convert them from DRM to EPUB? and does it effect the quality of the print?

thanks
deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote