Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Screen replacement options?

I am the proud owner of an Aura and an Aura HD, both with a broken screen.
I cannot seem to order new screens from Kobo to replace them myself and the repair is as expensive as a new unit, so I am stuck with ordering on aliexpress.com.

Now I can order a replacement for the aura's screen ED060XH3, but I can't find a replacement for the Aura HD's screen ED068OG1.

What I can find is a nice 9.7" screen for the Kindle (ED097OC1) which is even cheaper than the new Aura replacement.

Would anybody know what the restrictions are for a replacement screen? Are the connection ribbons all the same? Or can you identify them?

I assume I would have to install new screen drivers, is that correct? Where could I look for those?

Last edited by Markismus; 08-03-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

The chip only states maximum resolutions in its specifications. So any restrictions would be due to the connection on the PCB.

The connector on the Aura HD board has 40 connections, the connectors on the Aura has 34 and 8 connections. Both have a extra connector for the frontlight. If I could find a board that I could connect to the Aura HD board, than the frontlight could be taped to the front just like with the original screen.

Anyone any idea on how those connectors are identified?

Last edited by Markismus; 08-02-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Advert
Old 08-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
Markismus
Guru

Apparently, this kind of screen replacement has been done from a Sony to a Kindle.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Joppo
Joppo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi Markismus,

I just saw your post, did you ever find a replacement screen for the Aura HD?
Joppo is offline   Reply With Quote