Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Any chance of 'Title Case' being improved?

Using the 'Title Case' function in Calibre has a problem with pluralised hyphenated titles - e.g. "Aesop's Fables", which after using becomes "Aesop'S Fables".

Given how frequently the metadata Calibre pulls from has the titles annoyingly lowercased this casing feature becomes rather less useful than it otherwise should be given the frequency of "'s" is in book titles.

I found a thread from a year ago on this which discussed the why but the proposed solution was left unaswered and unimplemented:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59416

Any chance this will be revisited? Or is there another way of working around this?

Another option I would like to see offered is "Proper Case", which is where the first letter of every word is uppercased, i.e. don't try to be clever with words like "a" and "the".

Many thanks for your response.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As user_none said, there is no good algorithm to distinguish this.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can I ask what was wrong with the suggestion of detecting whether it is a single character preceded by an apostrophe and followed by a space? Can you suggest some titles where this would not work?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not in english, but who says title must only be in english.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just use the search and replace with an appropriate regex to fix 'S in your titles if you're sure it is always wrong.
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just use the search and replace with an appropriate regex to fix 'S in your titles if you're sure it is always wrong.
Ahh... the "developer's response"... Please don't take offense, I am a software developer myself.

Two things. Firstly, good point on the rule maybe only working on english titles. However given that I would "guess" (with no empirical evidence) that a very high percentage of the books that Calibre users worldwide are indeed English titles, surely it's a "cheap win" to at least consider offering it as an option in the settings somewhere? There really is a very high percentage of pluralised titles out there, at least in my library.

Secondly, thanks for the proposed workaround. However putting aside the temporary pain of brushing up on my regex expressions, I don't have a high degree of confidence in the search/replace function. It seems to have a strange behaviour and only work on a subset of the "selected" titles when I have tried it a couple of times today in 0.7.23. When I had around 100 titles selected, it would only make the changes to the last third or so of them from memory, so when done only those ones would be selected and changed?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont actually have to use a regex a simple substitution will do.

EDIT: And if you dont want to give offence, don't make offensive statements

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-11-2010 at 12:48 PM.