Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
You're right, obviously a couple of certified geniuses.
I never implied the level of intelligence, just that they were smart enough, as demonstrated by their actions.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #17
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
Such as Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman
You beat me to it on that one.

Then there are all the books on lock-picking.

I just found a book titled How to Rob Banks Without Violence. I like the without violence part. I doubt the guy who wrote that book snatches Kindles on the street.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
The ability to read is hardly the only measure of intelligence. "That kind of people" were smart enough to know where to get a gun, that two is sometimes superior to one, and to not shoot the idiot who though his bit of plastic tech was more valuable than his life.
By using a gun they turned a crime police would have ignored into one that almost surely now has a detective assigned. And if caught, they will face a long sentence -- maybe as long as for a non-violent bank robbery (see my last post) -- for a tiny potential payday.

Sorry, but using a gun to steal a Kindle -- or even an iPad -- is really, really, dumb.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
By using a gun they turned a crime police would have ignored into one that almost surely now has a detective assigned. And if caught, they will face a long sentence -- maybe as long as for a non-violent bank robbery (see my last post) -- for a tiny potential payday.

Sorry, but using a gun to steal a Kindle -- or even an iPad -- is really, really, dumb.
Not to mention then running over the victim.
A suspended sentence has suddenly become 10 years in the slot.
But they were "smart enough to" what?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
This is definitely a point in favor of paper books. Nothing breaks immersion in a story more than getting robbed and run over.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
That is crazy. While I love my Kindle, I wouldn't risk getting shot for it. It is easily replaced.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 10-10-2012 at 01:19 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #22
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:

As I did not provide a comment or opinion on the legality of the actions, I'm unsure as to why you would quote me or direct your comment to me.

As to your other point, is there another weapon more efficient for robbing someone? A gun only requires one hand, leaving your other hand free to hold on to what you're taking. It is immediately recognizable. It leaves little doubt as to the intent of the person holding it.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
As I did not provide a comment or opinion on the legality of the actions, I'm unsure as to why you would quote me or direct your comment to me.

As to your other point, is there another weapon more efficient for robbing someone? A gun only requires one hand, leaving your other hand free to hold on to what you're taking. It is immediately recognizable. It leaves little doubt as to the intent of the person holding it.
Can't argue with you there cobber, using a gun is definitely the smart way to go about nicking a Kindle.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I remember a brazilian writer in an article for a newspaper describing a theft that happened to him: they took many things from his car at night, like his stereo, pocket tools and a bunch of worn, smelly socks. A few books that were in the car were left untouched.

They took the worn socks, but left the books! That's society today.

No. That sounds like Peru. (I can say that because I actually live here. I also have a personal, INTIMATE experience of being robbed while my family was sleeping.)

Unfortunately, literacy is not highly prized here, since keeping warm, eating, and staying alive have precedence over other things.

Peruvians who do read and are educated, however, are understandably very proud of Mario Vargas Llosa.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-10-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
But not as dumb as chasing two people, who have a gun, when they have just taken your ereader.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote