Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
journey711
Enthusiast
journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kindle 2, Sony PRS350
Computer does not see kindle

When I plug the kindle to computer, the computer says error with usb and does not see the kindle at all. Can I fix this? Please help.
journey711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try a different USB port. Not all ports on a PC are alike. Try a different micro-USB cable. Try plugging it in to a different PC and see if that works.

ie, isolate where the problem lies: is it the PC, the Kindle, or the USB cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
journey711
Enthusiast
journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!journey711 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Tried different cable, tried using laptop, have used several different usb ports. Had it connected for a minute until I went to Calibre then it disconnected and computer is back to not seeing.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey711 View Post
Tried different cable, tried using laptop, have used several different usb ports. Had it connected for a minute until I went to Calibre then it disconnected and computer is back to not seeing.

Have you tried a restart of your kindle?
Have you recently done the 2.5.8 FW update?
Have you updated Calibre to 0.7.48 ... if I remember correctly, the changelog shows this update has Calibre adding a file into the root directory of USB devices. I can't imagine how that would cause a problem, just thinking out loud...

PhillipA82, is your Kindle a K2 or K3?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
journey711
Enthusiast

Okay, it is fixed (I hope) I called Kindle cs. I am not sure what made it work because I had done everything but restart the desktop so I guess there was some sort of bug in there. Hope it is a dead bug.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Rebooting the Kindle should always be the first thing to try in this situation. Had you not done so?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Rebooting the Kindle should always be the first thing to try in this situation. Had you not done so?
I think the OP meant a reboot of the machine they were trying to connect to... which should be the first or second thing to try.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
journey711
Enthusiast

Actually, I had the kindle plugged in to an extension usb. When that did not work I plugged it into the usb on the front of the computer. Then cs asked me to unplug, reboot computer again and plug into usb on back of computer. Then it worked. I had already rebooted kindle.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey711 View Post
Actually, I had the kindle plugged in to an extension usb. When that did not work I plugged it into the usb on the front of the computer. Then cs asked me to unplug, reboot computer again and plug into usb on back of computer. Then it worked. I had already rebooted kindle.
When my Mac doesn't recognize my Kindle, I'll restart it with the Kindle attached to an USBport and that always fixes it.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
This reminds me of the IT Crowd's humorous telephone greeting, "Hello, IT dept. Have you tried turning it off and on again?". It's quite funny on the show, but when I compare it to when I take calls, It's realistically the first step that I take to diagnose and troubleshoot tech. Glad it worked out for you!
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I used to have intermittent problems with my Kindle not being recognized when reconnecting after having unplugged it from my desktop pc.

Here's what I discovered:

Since I am using Windows 7 x64, ejecting my Kindle from "My Computer" or the "Safely Remove Hardware" system tray icon has a different effect than ejecting it from Calibre.

- If I "eject" my Kindle from either "My Computer" or from the "Safely Remove Hardware" systray icon, it will remove my Kindle from appearing in Windows and my Kindle will then come out of USB Mode while still plugged in;

- If I "eject" my Kindle from Calibre first, my Kindle will no longer appear elsewhere in Windows either but the Kindle itself remains in USB Mode as long as it is still connected. It is this method which I believe causes the Kindle to sometimes not recognize properly when reconnecting to the computer.

With this in mind, I always eject my Kindle from Windows rather than from Calibre.

My laptop, however, is running XP 32-bit, and never causes any issues if I eject from either location. I believe I read somewhere that the issue of Calibre not kicking the Kindle out of USB Mode is a problem Calibre has when running on 64-bit OSes.

All I know is, ever since I started ejecting my Kindle from Windows rather than from Calibre on my desktop pc, I no longer have any issues at all.

Last edited by chyron8472; 03-11-2011 at 11:48 PM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
journey711
Enthusiast

I really should stick to paper books. I see things that everyone is doing, and I try them and seem to manage to screw up something in the end. After the computer not seeing issue, and my chat with kindle cs, I cannot seem to locate my books on my computer. It is my understanding that they need to be downloaded from amazon to pc then they should show up in "my kindle content" file. Not so much. Only have some free books showing in that file. Advice?
Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey711
I really should stick to paper books. I see things that everyone is doing, and I try them and seem to manage to screw up something in the end. After the computer not seeing issue, and my chat with kindle cs, I cannot seem to locate my books on my computer. It is my understanding that they need to be downloaded from amazon to pc then they should show up in "my kindle content" file. Not so much. Only have some free books showing in that file. Advice?
It sounds like you're talking about two different things here. You have content on your Kindle (Kindle "Documents" folder). And you have Content on Kindle for PC ("My Kindle Content" folder on the PC). The two aren't ever going to automatically have the same content in them. You have to do that manually, by:
A) Going to your Archive and downloading titles -- from each device you want to read them on (Amazon content).
B) Logging in to your Amazon account and 'Sending' your purchases to each of your various registered devices (Amazon content).
C) Manually copying files to both locations (non-Amazon content).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Books downloaded to your Kindle have no copy on the pc. If you download for a Kindle, to your PC, and save the copy somewhere, or use Kindle4PC, and download to that, then you will have a copy on your pc. You control, during the download, where the copies go. I think Kindle4PC uses some directory name like "My Kindle Content", but downloading via the browser does not work that way. Depending on what browser you use, and what its settings are, there may be a default download area. I use FireFox, and tell it to always ask where to put the file. Then I know where it is going.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
journey711
Enthusiast

I thought if you downloaded (windows xp) for Kindle4pc, the books would go into a file labeled "my kindle content". I am sure that they were there at one time. Now they are not. So I just searched for one of the titles figuring they had moved. No file was found. I have downloaded 60 books to kindle4pc and can see and read on pc but cannot locate file. Am I just crazy?