Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
OH! OH! Here's my recommendation for February's book: His Robot Girlfriend by MobileRead's own Wesley Allison (HistoryWes). As a bonus, the e-book is free at Smashwords.
Oh, oh, yes and that one is on my reader already.

I'll second it!...or third it I guess....I missed Lilac's second or we simultaneously posted.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #47
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh, oh, yes and that one is on my reader already.

I'll second it!
I seconded it before you
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #48
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Hmmm...I was going to recommend The Far Pavilions by MM Kaye but I looked and could only find it in the Kindle store and not for very cheap unfortunately...one of my favourite books ever with something for everyone:

When The Far Pavilions was first published nineteen years ago, it moved the critic Edmund Fuller to write this: "Were Miss Kaye to produce no other book, The Far Pavilions might stand as a lasting accomplishment in a single work comparable to Margaret Mitchell's achievement in Gond With the Wind."

From its beginning in the foothills of the towering Himalayas, M.M. Kaye's masterwork is a vast, rich and vibrant tapestry of love and war that ranks with the greatest panoramic sagas of modern fiction.

The Far Pavilions is itself a Himalayan achievement, a book we hate to see come to an end. it is a passionate, triumphant story that excites us, fills us with joy, move us to tears, satisfies us deeply, and helps us remember just what it is we want most from a novel.

Sounds good doesn't it? But doesn't quite meet the qualifications of being readily available (and to my mind at a reasonable price).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As was pointed out, Gone with the Wind is not legally available in the US. So that should disqualify it.
Huh? I thought lilac pointed out that there have even been PAPER books read here as part of the book club.

If we are restricted to ebooks then yeah that's something of an issue, but if not then it's irrelevant.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #50
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Is there actually a good romance book that a real man will enjoy?
Jenna Jameson's Biography...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Is there actually a good romance book that a real man will enjoy?

My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler. (But I'm not recommending it for the February selection.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #52
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post

SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminJames View Post
YES! The time travellers wife.
I haven't read this yet (or seen the film, which looks pants!! lol) but the wikipedia article makes it sound very interesting and I plan to read it so why not for feb's book club.

When 20-year-old Clare meets 28-year-old Henry at the Newberry Library in 1991 at the opening of the novel, he has never seen her before, although she has known him most of her life.
Henry begins time traveling at the age of five, jumping forward and backward relative to his own timeline. When he leaves, where he goes, or how long his trips will last are all beyond his control. His destinations are tied to his subconscious. He always arrives naked and then struggles to find clothing, shelter and food. He amasses a number of survival skills including lock-picking, self defense and pickpocketing. Much of this he learns from older versions of himself.

Reviewers have found The Time Traveler's Wife difficult to classify generically: some categorize it as science fiction, others as a romance. Niffenegger herself is reluctant to label the novel, saying she "never thought of it as science fiction, even though it has a science-fiction premise". In Niffenegger's view, the story is primarily about Henry and Clare's relationship and the struggles they endure.
So how about it people give it your vote
The book is not available as an ebook.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #54
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Huh? I thought lilac pointed out that there have even been PAPER books read here as part of the book club.

If we are restricted to ebooks then yeah that's something of an issue, but if not then it's irrelevant.
BOb corrected me earlier saying we do want only ebooks. And his word is law

I think it would be tricky in this case, since it is available in some countries in ebook (as public domain). Do we exclude it because it's not available to everyone?

I'm OK with excluding it, but with all of the interest maybe we could do a spinoff discussion for those who want to read it.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
As was pointed out, Gone with the Wind is not legally available in the US. So that should disqualify it.
Hmm... I found it in the Kindle store:
http://www.amazon.com/Gone-with-the-...3919768&sr=1-1

Fictionwise:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b52074/?si=0

and BooksOnBoard:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=161227

What makes you think these aren't legal?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #56
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Gone With the Wind was pre-loaded into my reader... So... surely... I can read it?
If you mean, "is the book legally available," then the answer is "Yes."

If you mean, "can you read it," then I can't answer that question. I don't know you, and don't know if you find big words challenging!

(Just joking!)

Don
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... I found it in the Kindle store:
http://www.amazon.com/Gone-with-the-...3919768&sr=1-1

Fictionwise:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b52074/?si=0

and BooksOnBoard:
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=161227

What makes you think these aren't legal?

BOb
OOhhh zipppeee!!!!!!! I thought that it wasn't. But it's on Sony too! YAY!

That's my fault, Jon posted the PD version which was Australian, and I was pretty sure that it wasn't in PD yet in the US.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #58
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
BOb corrected me earlier saying we do want only ebooks. And his word is law

Gotcha!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #59
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

"Gone with the Wind" is also available free from Gutenberg Austrailia.

Check to see if it's legal for you to download.

Don
Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I seconded it before you

I think it was only a geographic exclusion that made my posting show up after yours!