Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
strannik
strannik began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, palm, other
Kudos to Calibre Coders and a possible RFE

Greetings,

Upon getting my new ipod touch and moving everything from the palm to the touch, I discovered Calibre. This is a nice bit of work - one which many of us have been waiting for. I see a lot of posts from others on what would move Calibre from very good to perfect, so I am adding my list - some of which may haev a work-around I haven't yet thought of.
  1. I already submitted an actual RFE to allow the Calibre Server to reformat URLS from http:// to ereader:// as needed for those of us who use it.
  2. It would be nice if the metadata could have a user-defined category field which also can be used to show books by category (in lieu of folders which would probably add too much complexity to the library)
  3. Is there a way to add 1 book which is split into multiple parts? e.g. each part is a different secion of one book.
  4. I have a laptop which has a little space and a server which has a lot. I want to move most (but not all) of my library to the server while keeping some books on the laptop, but be able to access both repositories. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks again to kovidgoyal and the band for the great work thus far!
strannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
I can't answer them all, but you will be pleased to learn that Calibre can perform #3 now.

Just post the Series title in that field when editing the metadata and then select what number in the series the book for the selected book.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
About point 2: I do not know how this works with iPods, but my sony touch automatically assumes each 'tag' is a catagory. In a way, through those tags I am able to create catagories, at least on my reader, much like I'd otherwise use folders (I, too, was looking into a way to create those, but alas, no dice).

I store my library on my server by the way, with a network drive pointing to it - this pretty much means I don't have to also keep a local copy. Of course, when not at home it's a bit trickier to set up a VPN, but I'm not sure if it'd be easier or harder than switching repositories.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
strannik
strannik began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch, palm, other
Thank you all for your helpful responses. It does turn out to be just as easy to use the tags/series as any other category scheme. I also decided to keep all of the books on the server. I can use Calibre on the LAN from my laptop, and I can have another copy of Calibre on a dedicated machine to launch the Calibre-server via VPN as needed. The web server function is very useful, and the software overall is amazing. Now I just have to figure out what to do with those DRMed books I can't do without.
strannik is offline   Reply With Quote