Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 09-06-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Rumor: iPod mini with flash and color screen

Our favorite Apple rumor machine Think Secret claims that Apple's iPod mini will soon lose its harddrive in favor of 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB flash media. Prices could be around $199, $249 and $299, respectively. The new release will be 20 to 25 percent smaller than the current version, and also feature a color screen. More details over at Think Secret.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
It's now official, and it's called the iPod Nano.

Quote:
Technical Specifications:
iPod nano
Capacity

* 2GB or 4GB flash drive(1)
* Holds 500 to 1,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format(2)
* Stores data via USB flash drive

Display

* 1.5 inch (diagonal) liquid crystal display with blue-white LED backlight
* 176 x 132 pixel resolution, .168-mm dot pitch
* Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Audio

* Skip-free playback
* Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
* Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
* Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats

Headphones

* Earbud-style headphones with 18-mm drivers using Neodymium transducer magnets
* Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
* Impedance: 32 ohms
Advert
Old 09-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Antoine of MMM
Mobile Ministry Magazine
Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nokia N75/N800 Internet Tablet
Nice design, mos def a rip-off of the RAZR philosophy. Makes me think at least 1GB of flash would be in a PDA this fall though.

OT: where do yall get those avatars, I want one of me like those
Old 09-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
There's no reason why a PDA couldn't have more massive flash storage. I bet Tapwave would've pushed the envelope if they had stayed around. I still bet that we'll be hamstrung with a "massive" 256MB or something.

OT: I think they was a fire sale group discount over at avatars.com (or something.) Could it be a really strange bit of coincidence? Serendipity?
POL9A
Old 09-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
OT: I think they was a fire sale group discount over at avatars.com (or something.)
Actually not even close Have a look here...
Advert
Old 09-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
Nice design, mos def a rip-off of the RAZR philosophy. Makes me think at least 1GB of flash would be in a PDA this fall though.
Ditto. Rip-off perhaps, but still beautiful design. If I hadn't only bought the iPod mini recently...
Old 09-09-2005, 02:32 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
Makes me think at least 1GB of flash would be in a PDA this fall though.
Will microdrives still be viable in PDA's now that flash memory is becoming cheaper and cheaper? Sure, microdrives will still be cheaper in higher capacities, but 4Gb of storage is more than enough for me.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Will microdrives still be viable in PDA's now that flash memory is becoming cheaper and cheaper? Sure, microdrives will still be cheaper in higher capacities, but 4Gb of storage is more than enough for me.
I'd always go for flash memory instead of microdrives. Flash = less battery consumption, faster and more reliable.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:41 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Nano review

Review by Ars Technica. Includes a stress test with photos.