Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Any concern with scratching the screen

Coming from the PDA and PocketPC world the first thing one does before the battery is even charged is to slap on the plastic covering. There are lots of discussions about how the substrate (did I say that right) can break as well as the top plastic covering but nothing about scratches. One might think having a stylus makes this even more of a concern. I suppose there isn't a covering the size of the screen. The companies that make screen covers could probably clean up with the cost because of the screen size.

Does anyone worry about the unprotected plastic or is this really a none issue? My eReader has not arrived yet. I am assuming it is plastic rather than glass from everything I have read.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
calviny
calviny doesn't littercalviny doesn't litter

Device: iliad
I just accidently dropped a pen on my screen from about 12 inches and it left a small hole ACK!. It looked like those bullet hole stickers you see on car sometimes. Very traumatizing. Luckily after cleaning a little and refreshing the screen it is not really noteiceable but i just had my screen replaced not long ago. I hope the crack doesn't propagate one day with a little stress. Maybe some superglue to fill in the hole or something?????
calviny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
rincewind
Connoisseur
rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
I believe it's glass - not a scratch in a year and a half for me at least. I do however have a protective cover around the iLiad when not in use (home-made book-style thing). The plastic casing is beginning to look somewhat worn, but I don't care.

/R
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The outer screen is a very tough plastic. Unlike a Pocket PC, which has an easily-scratchable touch-sensitive layer on top of the screen, the iLiad's touch screen is "electronic". I really wouldn't worry about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
I managed to scratch the screen with my keys (by having my keys and iliad in the same bag). It's a small scratch, almost not noticeable, but it's there. And I did have my iliad reside in a m-edge jacket at that time.

So I would very much like to have a protective sheet over the screen, but I haven't seen it available.

Last edited by haridasi; 07-29-2008 at 08:41 AM.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert