Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #76
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
According to the blurb "Words looked up in the dictionary are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder to expand your knowledge and reinforce retention. Swipe through your vocabulary words, quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see those words in context"

Still not sure whether this is going to be useful to me or just another one of those irritating things that is built in and that I'll never want to use. I hope words can be removed from the vocabulary builder or that the adding function can be turned off altogether (probably wishful thinking tough)
Oh, okay. At this point in my life, if I don't know what a word means, I probably don't NEED to know what it means . I may look it up, but I'm not gonna drill myself on it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #77
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I may look it up, but I'm not gonna drill myself on it.
Yeah that's where I'm at. I only very occasionally come across words I don't know, or more precisely can't work out the gist of and so I tend to remember them once I've looked them up. My latest word acquisition was "quixotic"
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #78
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I think for xendula and me (and a few others) it's a great addition for foreign languages.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #79
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It definitely has potential but I think for me it's going to be fairly limited on a day-to-day basis - I'm French, my English is ok, my Spanish although very rusty can still get me by and my Italian is not too bad. One of the great tips I got from an English teacher at school, who is the one who was lending me books in English so that I wouldn't get bored in class (!), was to avoid reaching for the dictionary and try as much as possible to work out the general meaning rather than get too hung up on individual words.

Last edited by Yolina; 09-17-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:55 AM   #80
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
It definitely has potential but I think for me it's going to be fairly limited on a day-to-day basis - I'm French, my English is ok, my Spanish although very rusty can still get me by and my Italian is not too bad. One of the great tips I got from an English teacher at school, who is the one who was lending me books in English so that I wouldn't get bored in class (!), was to avoid reaching for the dictionary and try as much as possible to work out the general meaning rather than get too hung up on individual words.
True, but I am now trying to widen my vocabulary in spanish. So I don't usually use the translation dictionary, but I use a lot the various dics at my disposition. I am French too (et oui, encore une frenchie sur la toile de MR ), but have been living abroad for 25 years and am now reading in 4 languages. It's very seldom for me to need a dictionary in French, English or German, but I can make good use of a spanish one. That being said, the goal for me is not to need one in Spanish soon. Thus the Flash Cards.

Kudo to you for not needing a dictionary (comment tu traduis kudo en français toi ? Moi, j'ai beau cherché, je ne trouve pas. )

Edited to say: MR is the best meeting spot on the web for multilingual speakers (now, is that english at all ??? Plurilingual ? ..!) I am amazed at the number of members here who can speak 3 languages or more !

Last edited by aceflor; 09-17-2013 at 03:58 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 AM   #81
Yolina
Wizard

Ben on peut dire "bravo" non? And I've been in the UK for about 20 years, so my French spelling is now appalling, I have to think when writing in French I'm currently in the south of France but because it's right next to the Italian border, I tend to use Italian as much as French so that certainly doesn't help Actually my next step is to read in Italian which isn't something I've tried yet.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #82
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
October 1st..
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #83
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Re flashcards and dictionary: As Aceflor says, for people who read in multiple languages, it's a pretty cool feature. I never used to look up words, since one can kind of deduct the meanig of a word out of its context, but since with the Kindle all I need to do is touch a word, this is changing for me. To be able to keep track of all these words is a really cool feature if I am actively trying to build up vocabulary in a language. I read mostly in English, but also in German, French and Spanish - and I keep telling myself that I should really try to read at least a bit in Italian as well...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #84
Yolina
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
To be able to keep track of all these words is a really cool feature if I am actively trying to build up vocabulary in a language.
Absolutely. But I also hope that Amazon has thought (unlikely though!) that you may want to manage that list - such as sorting by languages, removing words once you know them, or even not adding some in the first place. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by Yolina; 09-18-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #85
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Looks like we can manage the list of words added to the vocabulary list:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....imageproduct21
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #86
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Do you think we can export the vocabulary list and use it in an external flash card program?
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #87
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Assuming I don't cancel, I'm expecting mine October 1st.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #88
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
Do you think we can export the vocabulary list and use it in an external flash card program?
(Speculation)

Most probably not, at least not out of the box. Amazon isn't exactly known for embracing openness or interoperability.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #89
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Two more weeks! Anticipation starting to build.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #90
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Absolutely. But I also hope that Amazon has thought (unlikely though!) that you may want to manage that list - such as sorting by languages, removing words once you know them, or even not adding some in the first place. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
In some video or review, I saw that you can sort by language - thank goodness!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote