Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #61
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Link

I'll be giving the book a miss.
That book will be scanned and upload in ebook format the same day it's published so his "stand" will be for naught - that's if the ARC isn't already floating around.

He just bought himself some free publicity with this latest publishing stunt of his, not to mention a bunch of ill-will from folks who've taken exception to his phrasing.

I don't read him, so how he chooses to publish his books is immaterial to me.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #62
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Stephen King is a known pioneer and supporter of the ebook format. Please don't assume malice for what is meant as whimsy.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #63
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Stephen King is a known pioneer and supporter of the ebook format. Please don't assume malice for what is meant as whimsy.
Agreed. I've already pre-ordered it on audiobook via Audible.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #64
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
He is an arse of that there is not much doubt, but it is in keeping with his living out in BF nowhere Maine life and upbringing. This is just how they are up there...
Proud native Mainer here. Wow. "That is just how they are up there..." Really??? The ignorance is utterly breathtaking. As Ron Burgundy would say: "That's amazing. I'm not even mad."

Rkw, you are a small-minded jackass. Of that there seems to be NO doubt.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I encountered many non-arsey people in my Maine travels.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #66
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Doesn't King own a Kindle himself?
They gave him a pink one when they released Ur as a Kindle exclusive.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #67
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Curious. Since the only "book club" I still belong to is the Stephan King Library, and they just automatically send me his books when they come out, I'll likely still get it. But they always send hardcovers, curious if I'll get a hardcover "Book Club" edition or an actual paperback.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #68
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Stephen King with a pink kindle!! Too funny...

I might be changing my opinion on this subject. I don't know. I really like the hard case crime books and Stephen King books, so I may get the paper book or at least borrow it from the library. As long as the print is readable, it should be alright. I just can't read that teeny tiny print in paper books anymore is my problem.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #69
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Curious. Since the only "book club" I still belong to is the Stephan King Library, and they just automatically send me his books when they come out, I'll likely still get it. But they always send hardcovers, curious if I'll get a hardcover "Book Club" edition or an actual paperback.
What did they do for his previous Hard Case Crime release (The Colorado Kid)? I'd think this would be the same.

Technically there is a hardcover of Joyland, but it's very limited (actually I see now that it's sold out already)...
http://titanbooks.com/blog/limited-e...now-available/

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-22-2013 at 12:28 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #70
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I don't get when authors make it harder for people to buy their books. Sure, I get when exclusive deals are made, but when you have a growing audience as you do with ebooks, why wouldn't you produce the product readers want??? I suppose he doesn't need the money.
No, he surely doesn't need the cash, but diva stuff like this irks me. I see a lot of concerts (or used to prior to becoming a father of twins...), and you see this in musicians as well. Respecting your fans, and catering to their wishes, are very sympathetic traits for artists. On the one hand you have people like Axl Rose and Noel Gallagher, who constantly pull stuff like showing up three hours late, walking off stage for no reason, dressing down their technicians on mike and so on. They are effectively giving the one-finger salute to all supporters, as they destroy the live experience.

On the other hand you have bands like U2, who have clauses in their concert contracts that regular tickets should not cost above a certain low-ish price, because they want the gig to be affordable to all fans. They know that the fans made them what they are, and treat them respectfully and sensibly.

That said, I don't really think Mr. King belongs to the former variety. He's more similar to Tom Waits, who's a nice guy, but somewhat eccentric. Tom Waits only do very small and infrequent gigs, for which tickets are almost impossible to get. Most of his fans will never see him live. It's not to spite anyone, it's just because he wants his gigs to be something special (I'm not a fan, but I've heard he's a brilliant live artist).

Stephen King does what he pleases, but likely not in spite. I *might* buy this book when it is published as an epub (I haven't read many of his latest ones, as I think he's declined lately), before that he can certainly have his eccentricity to himself as far as I'm concerned
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #71
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
His book, his choice.

I think it's a bad decision because it merely ensures that everyone who reads it electronically will be pirates, but it's his to make.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #72
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
If I was a fan of Stephen King, I would probably be disappointed that he is not releasing his latest book in eformat. Would that stop me buying it?? That would depend on the font size of the pbooks. If the font was in a size that I could comfortably read, I would buy it if I wanted to read it. However, since I am not a King fan, the point is probably moot.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #73
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
They gave him a pink one when they released Ur as a Kindle exclusive.

Ugh, I am not surprised he is making a face....that's a hideous colour
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #74
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
Ugh, I am not surprised he is making a face....that's a hideous colour
While I don't know Mr. King or his unadapted work intimately (since I often find him almost unreadable), I believe the face he's making is intended to be a tactful smile. His is, after all, a mug with character. It is evocative and can imply far more than it reveals.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-24-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #75
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Good for you, Mr King. Give them hell, Stevie-boy.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote