Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
sgt.bilko
sgt.bilko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Latest version for Ubuntu 10.10?

Hi,

What is the latest version of Calibre that will run under Ubuntu 10.10 (Karmic) AMD64 ?
sgt.bilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
The current version 0.8.9 runs fine. Haven't had any issue downloading and running the latest versions on 10.10.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
sgt.bilko

Thanks. I think i already tried installing an 0.8.9 deb package and hit some dependency issues. I'll try again tonight. Do you have any advice about installing - should i use deb or source?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Neither

You should use the binary install following the instructions on the Calibre download page for Linux. That should automatically install all required dependencies.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
sgt.bilko

Thanks. I was put off going down that route as it seemed to be for x86 machines and I'm using AMD64. I'll give it a go tonight and report back.
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
sgt.bilko

It worked ! - nice and easy, that's what we like - I'm now using 0.8.9
Many thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
FYI. Ubuntu to my knowledge has never shipped a fully working version of calibre in their repository. In at least two releases they have shipped completely broken (wouldn't even run) packages for calibre.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
FYI. Ubuntu to my knowledge has never shipped a fully working version of calibre in their repository. In at least two releases they have shipped completely broken (wouldn't even run) packages for calibre.
This is why I have always disliked the "app-store" model of software distribution that Linux uses. I'd much rather download software straight from the vendor's web site like I do on Windows. At least then I know I am getting the real deal. Bad things happen when an OS vendor wants to get into the "app-store" business, particularly when they can't restrain themselves from fiddling with, or "fixing", the software they distribute. This is just one of the many reasons I finally abandoned Linux for desktop usage after 12 years.

Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The app store model works fine. It's Ubuntu not listening to us or doing any kind of Q/A that is the issue.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a tradeoff.

As an upstream developer, I find it endlessly annoying that distributions ship broken calibre packages, and I then have to deal with the bug reports. Because of this, linux users generate a volume of bug reports quite out of proportion to their fraction of the calibre user base, despite the fact that I develop calibre on linux, so it should be the best supported platform. Fortunately, I now have an automated stock response for bug reports from linux users that tells them to first switch to using the official package

However, as a user I appreciate the fact that someone else is taking the system maintenance load off my shoulders. For packages that I consider critical in some way, I maintain my own builds, not relying on the distro builds, but for the vast majority of packages, I'm perfectly happy to let some one else do the maintenance/integration work.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote