Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I had posted this on another forum, but decided this was a better location so I posted it again in a modified form:

Today I purchased the Iconia A500 tablet. Went through set-up and then tried epubs and pdf book files on it. The epubs worked great BUT the Google Books pdf files essentially crashed the app. Either the image pdfs would not show any text, or would only show very small text (scarcely readable), and even then would not consistently turn pages. Perhaps it's a memory problem - the Iconia has only 16 gig internal memory, and the two google pdfs files were 20 and 57 gigs.

I checked further, and found that even if I extract 10 pages from a Google Books image pdf, the ereader app (LumiRead) still does not work properly, so it's not memory related. If one uses landscape mode, the pdf (and the 57 meg pdf file also) show text but both only with very small size. As soon as one goes to portrait mode, then the screen blanks out and nothing appears as one turns pages except for the page edges appearing during an apparent page turn . Again, totally useless for reading pdf files because one can't use portrait mode at any text size or larger text sizes with landscape mode.

Unless there is a better reading app than LumiRead, it looks like I'll have to return the tablet tomorrow because the main reason I bought it was for pdf's. The wifi, etc. are nice extras but fundamentally it appears to be completely unsuited to my needs.
That sucks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I'm just starting to play with my A500 and if device is very good and fast (faster than my iPad 1), and has a lot of better font rendering, and multi-task works better than in iOS, available apps are very crappy. For PDF, I've tested ezPDF and RepliGo, and both lacks a lot of functionality and speed compared with iAnnotatePDF and GoodReader. Same PDF in iPAD works sightly faster than in my A500. I do not know if it is because the underlining layer is Java (and Java is very SLOW), or because the programs aren't optimized.

For ebooks I'm testing FBRreader and CoolReader (and some others with less functionality than these). In landscape text is a lot of wider, in portrait too. CoolReader has two column mode, but even they are wider than desirable...

And a lot of appls crashes, even Kindle app.
Very disappointing. Maybe I should just stick with my rooted NOOKcolor until later this year. I want a large screen tablet primarily for reading, which is the way I use my NOOKcolor. If I can't use my favorite reading apps, then at this stage it doesn't make sense to move forward. Second and third on my list of uses are web browsing and audio/video podcasts. Why do we have to sit on the sidelines and continue to watch folks enjoy their iPads.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #33
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
These so called 10.1" are 16x9 where as the iPad2 is 4:3 on it's 9.7". Frankly they need to make a VIS (visual image size) 14" 1280x768 16x9 this would give you a good square to view like 4:3 but at 16x9 both LAND and PORT mode. I know this because this is what I am using on one of my widescreen laptops. I wish I could covert the panel to a touch screen tablet. Thin and would do the job. But for now it's laptop.

Yes stick with your rooted Nook as I am sticking with my rooted COBY KYROS 7015/7015A they do the job and even with my help they're even faster under the hood plus they make you feel like you have HONEY COMB 3.0 on board.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #34
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

It's the way the Hardware is on the ACER Tablet. JAVA can be very quick at times. It's the way the tablet MOBO (MOTHERBOARD) or PCB was designed. In this case not so good. I like ACER products but I was very disappointed with the A500 and it was no better than W500 on HSN both had issues with ACER Ring Overlay crashing even on Live TV. Two more tablets rush to get out to the public just going to fail. ASUS Transformer has some glitches already.

What's going on with these huge computer companies? I had expected much more from them compare to audio/video electronic companies like COBYUSA, CRAIG and Curtis. So this is going to be a very sloppy tablet new age among us now. Hope they can get their act together at ACER and ASUS?

Last edited by tipstir; 04-30-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #35
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I played with the Acer Iconia today at Best Buy, and compared it with the Xoom on display. Here are my impressions:

I really liked the brushed aluminum, and it felt nice in my hands. It actually felt lighter than the Xoom due to the way the weight is distributed. It was much more comfortable to hold in portrait mode compared with the Xoom. However, the Xoom feels like it is constructed better and is more durable. The Acer had kind of a cheap feel to it, while the Xoom felt like a quality piece of hardware. Also, the Acer is bigger with a thick bezel. The Xoom is more sleek. The screen on the Acer seemed identical to the Xoom, and it was nice and responsive, and I didn't notice any lag in any of the preloaded apps.

It seems like a nice alternative to the Xoom because of the price. Some reviewers have mentioned that the Acer struggles with 1080p videos (ones that the Xoom plays fine). This makes the choice between the Xoom and the Acer a tough one.

The xoom wins on build quality, video playback, 16gb more onboard storage, and from what I hear app stability. The Acer has an attractive design, and is $150 cheaper.

My advice would be to hold out for the Asus eee Transformer before making a choice between the three.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #36
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I really liked the brushed aluminum, and it felt nice in my hands. It actually felt lighter than the Xoom
and in comparison with your iPad2?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #37
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
and in comparison with your iPad2?
Without inciting any riots here , there simply is no comparison. I can't imagine buying either the Xoom or the Acer over the ipad 2. I like to check out all of the new devices, wondering if I will regret my ipad 2 purchase. So far, nothing even comes close. My personal reasons:

1. The ipad 2's 4:3 screen works better for everything but video.
2. The ips screen on the ipad 2 has better viewing angles and more vibrant colors. It really outclasses the other devices.
3. The weight and thickness of the ipad 2 make it much more comfortable to hold.
4. The aluminum case of the ipad 2 is more stylish and better looking than either tablet. The ipad 2 makes the Acer in particular look really cheap.
5. None of the preloaded apps on the Xoom and Acer offered any advantages over their ios counterparts.

For $50 more, the ipad 2 is a no brainer compared to the Acer. I'll reserve judgment on the Asus eee Transformer because I haven't been able to play with one yet. at least the Asus is $100 cheaper and has a unique feature (the enhanced keyboard dock option).
Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #38
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why do we have to sit on the sidelines and continue to watch folks enjoy their iPads.
Come to the dark side, we have fruit
Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #39
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
And chocolate. And cookies
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I keep trying to talk myself into considering an iPad, but I just can't. My rooted NOOKcolor is my only experience with Android, my phone is Windows Mobile 6.5. I have a first generation iPod Touch. That's enough for me.

I like the widgets and notifications Android offers. I think you said you aren't into that. I like the white iPad 2 though. I'm tired of the black picture frame look. One of the reasons I find the Acer attractive.

Regarding the size of the Acer, Lisa made a good point in her video about it costing more to shrink something. No doubt the XOOM is a quality product. Just don't know if I want to spend that much more for it though. Particularly when we barely get a year out of these things before something else captures our attention.

Last edited by SCION; 04-30-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #41
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
To sum it up -- it is just too dark on the dark side. And you can't even use an (Adobe) Flash light to illuminate your path.

But you can turn that HD2 into a screaming Android monster (or a Windows phone 7 one), if you want. It was way ahead of its time from the hardware side and thus is still a great phone.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #42
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
To sum it up -- it is just too dark on the dark side. And you can't even use an (Adobe) Flash light to illuminate your path.
Good one.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #43
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well done.

How does one turn an HD2 into a Android phone?

Last edited by RockdaMan; 04-30-2011 at 11:01 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #44
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Well done.

How does one turn an HD2 into a Android phone?
Read it up on xda-developers.com. They have sections for almost any device these days. You will find the necessary ROMs and instructions. For most WM 6+ phones you have to run Android off the microSD. But for the HD2 they have native Android run from system memory. That is one of the reasons the HD2 has been quite a good and cheap Android alternative. They even have a dual boot Android 2.3 and WM 7 version.

I personally prefer user ROMs to company ROMs (the latter are usually slow and loaded with "free" add-ons that you don't want).

Modaco is also a good source.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #45
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Wow we all should have testing party at Best Buy with these tablets. I still like the RIM Blackberry Playbook only $50 bucks more than the ACER A500 but the 7" and the cost of it still high at $500 bucks. I see over the HSN reviews of the first ACER W500 didn't sit to well with the members there. Poor rating. Xoom price tag is still high more don't want to even go beyond the $299 border line. That's why tablet's like the COBY, Craig, and Curtis/Sylvania are selling out the door all over the place.

iPad2 can't knock that one I did test that out but to me just a very large iTouch 4. You can't beat those sprint graphics really stand out.

New players:

RIM
Motorola
ACER
ASUS (almost)
HP
Along with the clone gang from China leading the back of cheap tablets.

Hello Microsoft Windows 8 Metro Tablet OS (Fall of 2012) that's long time off. Can they pull it off and will their be SP1 for it in 2013.